What do I make my sandwiches out of?

Options
2»

Replies

• kittypuff
    kittypuff Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I really like using Wasa bread crisps....I they are crispy and delicious..
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    I've recently switched to Natural Ovens Healthy Beginnings Oatmeal Bread. I have allergies, and many of the national brands (not that Natural Ovens isn't a national brand) and weight loss breads have added milk or eggs in them. It is higher in calories, at 110 a slice, but it is a whole grain. It's also bigger than a regular slice of bread by half, so I just use one slice for sandwiches and load up the meat and other fillings.
  • buggaboo73
    Options
    I also use the arnold sandwich thins or I get pepperidge farms light soft wheat, it's 45 cals per slice, very soft and a little sweet. I get the olive oil mayo but I have to say I don't like it as much as I thought I would.......but its 50 cals for a tbspn then lots of lettuce and tom and a bit of meat and I'm good. :wink:

Do you live in a small town?? I do, and it's hard for people in bigger towns and cities to understand but it can be embarassing to buy certain items, growing up in a small town conditions us to think everyone is watching all the time.......but really I don't think they are and I tell myself now......if they are that nosey and concerned about what I buy it's their problem.

Good luck!
  • erikazj
    erikazj Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    I don't eat many sandwiches anymore. It makes me sad.

On Saturday we went to Subways, and it might have well have been a fancy steak house to me! That's how much I miss sandwiches. What I miss the most is PUMPERKNICKLE!

"Why don't you eat it, then?" you ask. My answer: SODIUM. Sodium equals water retention. I don't want to work harder than I already do!

Anyway, when I do eat bread, it's usually Oroweat or Earthgrain. We had some turkey burgers on them last week that were yummy! I've also been known to enjoy a Smuckers Uncrustable as a snack from time to time.

If you really miss it, and it's the sodium that bothers you, have you ever thought about making your own bread? My husband and I haven't bought bread for years, because we like to control what goes in it, and it isn't difficult to make.

E
  • tisahokie
    tisahokie Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    The Nature's Own Light (White, Wheat, or Honey Wheat) are pretty good and have 40 calories per slice
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I don't eat anything with MSG or High Fructose Corn Syrup in it, and that cuts out many breads, including my former favorite, Pepperidge Farms. I've been sticking to Nature's Own (which does not contain either of them), 100% Whole Wheat-no sugar added. It's 50 calories per slice and only 11 carbs. Excellent bread.
  • volks80
    Options
    Nickles has a bread that is 35 calories per slice, they have white, wheat and multigrain. I buy the wheat. I also like wraps and try to get a brand called Extreme Wellness (76 calories, wheat) they are sold at diffrent stores so I just get whatever is at the store I am at.
  • mromnek
    mromnek Posts: 325
    Options
    I have been using a tortilla. Just recently, I got some Lavash bread and started using that. The lavash is 50 cals per serving, but each lavash is 2 servings.

I put mustard on, then 6 slices of chicken breast meat, a slice of cheese halved, some shredded lettuce, and some tomato. Makes a great meal, with less than 200 calories.
    [/quote

I like the lavish bread. I also make a pizza out of it. I put veggies and a little bit of goat cheese on it. yum! ]

The lavash bread is so thin, how does it do in the oven? Might have to try it since pizza is my #1 favorite food.