Sodas

Options

Replies

• Emtabo01
    Emtabo01 Posts: 672
    Options
    I've been off sodas since starting MFP too, 105 days, went to chipotle today and I got water because I wanted it, not soda, odd experience for me, first time that's happened.
  • mercymarque
    Options
    just by cutting out the soda and drinking water you will lose. So great job! Avoid sugary sodas and sport drinks (watch how soon u will get to the weight you want to be at). For added taste in ur water add a lemon. You can also get flavored water with no sodium and no calories... watch out for aspartme (gives most people a headache).
  • zephtalah
    zephtalah Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I love Diet Dr. Pepper! Probably should give up pop all together, but I don't see that happening anytime soon. I enjoy the sweet taste with out the side affect of calories.
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    I miss Dr.Pepper and also root beer. I've had one soda since April, and it was a no name terrible tasting one that I got for free on a very hot day after carrying in a 70lb piece of scrap metal to a dealer. I've I'd had water with me, I might have declined.

At one time in my life I used to drink 2 a day in summer, one year a lot more while I was working for Coke and got all I could drink.

Dr. Pepper and tacos - sigh
  • leonmedwards
    Options
    Prior to starting my new life style I drank proably 8 - 10 Mt. Dews (full bolwn regular) a day. 2000 - 2500 calories a day just in soda. I drink just as much now but they are all diet. I hated it when I switched you get so used to it i prefer it now. I snuck a drink of my kids soda recently and it seems so much sweeter than I remember. Go diet and loose the calories. Yopu can have you cake and eat it too! I recently asked a dietitian recently the negative effects of diet soda. She tells me that the only negative effects that it takes the place of the water you should be getting. So make sure you are getting your water too!
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    You can still have one every once in a while. Just budget for it in your calories by either a good workout or only drink half the bottle at once.

Yup, although my every once in awhile is still one a day. But I went from drinking at least 2 64oz dr peppers to one can. I hate the taste of artificial sweeteners so diet never worked for me. I just work it in. I've been trying to get up the courage to cut it out completely, but I haven't made it there yet.

Good job! I know how hard it can be. :smile:
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    My husband switched to sodas made with Stevia instead of sugar to fix his soda cravings. He hates diet soda, but like natural sodas. It has helped a lot.

Which sodas are made with stevia? I'd love to try that.
  • xiofett
    xiofett Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I rarely have pre-made sodas anymore, when I go out to eat I get either water or sweet tea. I do indulge in a cherry limeade from Sonic every now and again, I suppose that's technically a soda since most of them use Sprite now instead of soda water and lime squeezings.

I tried to make my own vanilla creme soda syrup to go with the Sodastream I bought a couple of years ago, but I've never managed to find the balance between flavor, sweetness and syrup concentration that I like. I did, however, make some awesome homemade vanilla extract using tequila instead of vodka or light rum.

Of course, small-batch sodas and root/ginger/birch beers/sarsaparillas are a weakness of mine, the best are always made with either cane sugar or agave. Have yet to come across a "diet" root beer that was worth drinking.
  • lyndalpn
    lyndalpn Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I started off drinking diet soda etc but after doing the Sugar Free September challenge and cutting all refined sugars out of my diet, i found the artificial sweeteners taste weird. So now I drink water, sparkling mineral water, coffee (only one or two a day) and green tea. And of course a glass of champagne 3 or 4 days a week. Because chamnpagne doesnt count, right? ;)
  • Carrievaught
    Options
    Zevia and Blue Sky Free are both made with Stevia. Some are pretty good, some are downright awful. I like the Zevia cream soda and the Blue Sky Free cherry vanilla cream.
    Thank you so much for this. Do you know where I can get some of these? I love cream soda!
  • lucyinthesky2007
    lucyinthesky2007 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I gave up sodas ( here in TN we call em cokes lol!) all together as my new year resolution. Still going strong. I feel so much better honestly. And the weight started to come off quickly soon after quitting them. Seems like my cravings for sweets haven't been quite so strong since quitting either. All around one of the best choices I've ever made.

P.S. Diet really is just as bad for you as regular soda......lotsa yucky chemicals and such :-/
  • FarmGirl69
    Options
    If I feel like having soda, I drink diet A&W...usually can make a bottle last 2 days....
    1258936 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I used to drink a lot of calories by drinking sodas. In Michigan we call it pop. I love all kinds of pop. Mt. Dew, Pepsi, Coke, Root Beer. Yum. But once I realized how many cals/carbs/sugar was in them, I just couldn't bring myself to do it! I substituted flavored sparkling water and that helped a lot, but now I've moved on and just stick to water. Whenever I'm tempted I think of foods that are comparable in calorie content and food always win over drink. I love food more than I love bubbly sugary drinks. If I need a bubbly sweet drink I'll hit up Aldi's for my favorite sparkling water. It costs less, too.

However, I am going to have to try out these stevia sweetened carbonated drinks now, that sounds great!
  • justmyalias
    justmyalias Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Zevia and Blue Sky Free are both made with Stevia. Some are pretty good, some are downright awful. I like the Zevia cream soda and the Blue Sky Free cherry vanilla cream.

Blue Sky is Truvia - which is a little different.
    I was disappointed.
    Trying to love the Zevia cola...

(both are about $1 a can...)
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I've been a diet pop addict for YEARS now.....I've had maybe 2 in the last month. Once I got it out of my system I didn't even care anymore. Now I'm all about the fizzy waters...the ones without the sugar added. Much better for me than pop of any kind.
  • midschool22
    midschool22 Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I still drink it. Regular or diet. I just watch how much my intake is.
  • MamaMaryC
    MamaMaryC Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Nice start. I gave up soda a long while back. Now when I have it I find that I don't like the taste much anymore. Dr. Pepper and Pibb Xtra were my soda affairs.
  • NocturnalGirl
    Options
    You can still have one every once in a while. Just budget for it in your calories by either a good workout or only drink half the bottle at once.

This exactly. Don't deprive yourself of things you enjoy completely :)
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    I am a diet pepper addict! lol...then my hubby was telling me diet soda does harm so I got pissed and told him Dr. Oz blows!
  • lizzyholiman
    lizzyholiman Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I never drank soda as a kid so I've been very fortunate in that I've never had cravings for it. :)
    In fact, I never drink soda now because I just hate how the carbonation upsets my stomach, and I feel all gross and full of sugar after drinking it.
    You could try drinking tea maybe? I usually sprinkle some cinnamon and/or a small drizzle of honey into my cup. Both are very good for you as is tea.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!