in search for a low calorie beer

Options
124»

Replies

• allykat8
    allykat8 Posts: 237
    Options
    You know how they make those beers 55 and 64 calories? Add a lottttttt of water. Might as well get a Blue Moon and pour a bunch of water in it :laugh: Why not drink so beers then throw a few shots in there to off-set the calorie load? That's what I would do at least, if I were trying to get hammered!

Careful with this one, depending on the type of alcohol, a shot of liquor can have more calories than beer - sometimes A LOT more calories!
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    I discovered that a can of Guinness Draught(14.9oz -- completely fills a pint glass including foam) has only 125 calories. It has been my beer of choice since I found out. YUM! How much more satisfying is a Guinness than something like a Bud Light?! And for the same calories, too! (actually, I'm pretty sure Guinness has slightly *fewer* calories per ounce than Bud Light!)
    I still think Yuengling Light is okay, but if I'm given the choice between that and Guinness, I'm going Guinness every single time.

And don't get Guinness in bottles (stout). YUCK! Get the Guinness Draught in the can (and pour them into a glass) or if you're at a bar, see if it's on tap.
  • Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    I hate light beer. I love Sam Adams Cherry Wheat, and just treat myself to a bottle every now and than.
  • Serenifly
    Serenifly Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    In Canada there is Canadian 67 ... 67 Cals per beer, and STILL 4 % booze! *slurp*
  • LittleSpy
    Options

Beer snob here. :smile: I drink Sam Adams regularly and am a fixture at my local brewpub, to the point where any new servers get taken around and introduced to US, the regulars. Reds, browns, porters, and IPAs are my go-to brews. I think Guinness is the crappiest stout ever made -- it's the Budweiser of stouts (just because it's popular doesn't mean it's good). I'm going to automatically have a low opinion of anything with the name "Anheuser-Busch" associated with it. :wink:

Well then good news! Guinness isn't associated with Anheuser-Busch. All the Guinness sold in North America is brewed in Ireland and in the US it's distributed by Coors, not Anheuser-Busch. :laugh:

Seriously though, Guinness is often pretty highly regarded by beer snobs & amateurs alike. :wink: If it's not your bag, that's one thing, but it's not a total crap beer by any stretch, especially as mass-produced as it is.
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I hate light beer. I love Sam Adams Cherry Wheat, and just treat myself to a bottle every now and than.

I found it's a great dessert. I'll add a piece of dark chocolate with it if I'm feeling extra decadent. They go together heavenly!
  • TropicalKitty
    Options
    You know how they make those beers 55 and 64 calories? Add a lottttttt of water. Might as well get a Blue Moon and pour a bunch of water in it :laugh: Why not drink so beers then throw a few shots in there to off-set the calorie load? That's what I would do at least, if I were trying to get hammered!

Careful with this one, depending on the type of alcohol, a shot of liquor can have more calories than beer - sometimes A LOT more calories!

A shot may have more calories, but you get more alcohol in the shot than that watery beer. In the end you can end up getting drunk for fewer calories by drinking the alcohol instead of some light beer. Just do some math first! (and some help, remember 80 proof = 40% alc. and I did an example earlier in this thread)

Just stick to the standard alcohols - vodka, gin, whisky, tequila.

*AVOID* those flavored vodkas and schnapps/amaretto/triple sec/etc since they are super sugary and spike the cal count!
  • rolandhulme
    rolandhulme Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Regarding Guiness - there are much better stouts on the market. Back in the UK the mass market one was Murphys and it was delicious (my mother drank pints of that - so ladylike!) Sam Adams do a couple of good stouts too - and there's an imported British one called Double Chocolate Stout.

If calories be damned, try adding a shot of kahlua to a pint of Guiness - tastes like chocolate!!
  • immacookie
    immacookie Posts: 7,424 Member
    Options
    Regarding Guiness - there are much better stouts on the market. Back in the UK the mass market one was Murphys and it was delicious (my mother drank pints of that - so ladylike!) Sam Adams do a couple of good stouts too - and there's an imported British one called Double Chocolate Stout.

If calories be damned, try adding a shot of kahlua to a pint of Guiness - tastes like chocolate!!

Have you tried River Horse's Oatmeal Milk Stout? (not sure if they have it right now, but I stocked up last winter LOL)
  • LittleSpy
    Options
    Regarding Guiness - there are much better stouts on the market.

Well, I could never argue with this statement, but there aren't many stouts available in southeastern US grocery stores which is where most of us amateurs around here get our beer. :wink: Guinness is much more available 'round these parts than Sam Adams (I only see Sam Adams lager most places, and I'm actually not the biggest fan of Sam Adams though I've never tried the stouts).

But I definitely stick to my statement that when faced with a Guinness versus ANY American light beer (which is exactly the choice you're faced with at a southern grocery store), I'm choosing the Guinness.
    My point is that Guinness has the same calories as Bud Light or Miller Light or Coors Light or Natty Light or any other nasty nasty nasty nasty nasty light beer. :laugh:

Oh, and I'm a big ol' fan of the Irish Car Bomb, myself (Guinness/Irish stout, Irish Cream, Irish Whiskey).
  • TropicalKitty
    Options
    Regarding Guiness - there are much better stouts on the market.

Well, I could never argue with this statement, but there aren't many stouts available in southeastern US grocery stores which is where most of us amateurs around here get our beer. :wink: Guinness is much more available 'round these parts than Sam Adams (I only see Sam Adams lager most places, and I'm actually not the biggest fan of Sam Adams though I've never tried the stouts).

But I definitely stick to my statement that when faced with a Guinness versus ANY American light beer (which is exactly the choice you're faced with at a southern grocery store), I'm choosing the Guinness.
    My point is that Guinness has the same calories as Bud Light or Miller Light or Coors Light or Natty Light or any other nasty nasty nasty nasty nasty light beer. :laugh:

Oh, and I'm a big ol' fan of the Irish Car Bomb, myself (Guinness/Irish stout, Irish Cream, Irish Whiskey).

I'm in the south, too. But I have NO problem finding good beer. Gotta shop around. Oddly, I've found some good selection at the grocery stores I'd never buy food at. haha Some of the liquor stores have good selections too. Publix doesn't do a bad job for some of the bigger names.

As for another good stout.... Left Hand Milk Stout. Tasty! :) (And that british chocolate stout that was mentioned a couple posts ago, it's Young's Double Chocolate Stout. At Flying Saucer they do a float with it! Now that's definitely not low cal!)
  • LittleSpy
    Options
    I'm in the south, too. But I have NO problem finding good beer. Gotta shop around. Oddly, I've found some good selection at the grocery stores I'd never buy food at. haha Some of the liquor stores have good selections too. Publix doesn't do a bad job for some of the bigger names.

Yes, I can certainly find good beer if I search for it specifically. I'm talking normal grocery store selection for LOW CALORIE beers (per the topic of the thread). Kroger, Bi-Lo, Food Lion, Walmart kind of stores. Normally when I think "Hey, I'd like a beer later" I'm at Kroger buying groceries at 11pm. :wink: Making plans and a special trip to go to a specialty beer, wine, or liquor store just gets me into big trouble. :laugh:

Earlier in this thread, everyone was recommending light beers I personally find disgusting because they're lower in calories than other beers. I was trying to offer a much better alternative to these pisswater beers for the same number of calories. I apologize if I didn't make my point more clear. I certainly didn't mean to start an off topic discussion about what constitutes "good" beer and I didn't mean to suggest Guinness is top notch by any stretch. :wink: That being said, you can never convince me Bud Light or MGD 64 are better and more satisfying beers than Guinness. :laugh:
  • TropicalKitty
    Options

Yes, I can certainly find good beer if I search for it specifically. I'm talking normal grocery store selection for LOW CALORIE beers (per the topic of the thread). Kroger, Bi-Lo, Food Lion, Walmart kind of stores. Normally when I think "Hey, I'd like a beer later" I'm at Kroger buying groceries at 11pm. :wink: Making plans and a special trip to go to a specialty beer, wine, or liquor store just gets me into big trouble. :laugh:

Earlier in this thread, everyone was recommending light beers I personally find disgusting because they're lower in calories than other beers. I was trying to offer a much better alternative to these pisswater beers for the same number of calories. I apologize if I didn't make my point more clear. I certainly didn't mean to start an off topic discussion about what constitutes "good" beer and I didn't mean to suggest Guinness is top notch by any stretch. :wink: That being said, you can never convince me Bud Light or MGD 64 are better and more satisfying beers than Guinness. :laugh:

Hey it's all good! :) I just was going to be willing to help you find some stuff since we're in a similar geographic area. I've found that even of the same chain, the store varies. For example, the Kroger by my house sucks. But, if I go to the one a couple exits down the interstate, they have a better selection.

I think New Belgium has a light beer, Skinny Dip. I've never tried it or know the stats, but Publix carries their line of beer, as does the other Kroger. I think it'll be in the same style as the other "light" beers (pilsner-esque, wheaty). But you may dig it.

Does that help? :drinker:

Edit:
    For more info on Skinny Dip:
    http://www.newbelgium.com/beer/skinny-dip

New Belgium is the one who makes Fat Tire.

Calories: 110 Carbs 7g
    http://www.thedailyplate.com/nutrition-calories/food/new-belgium-brewing/skinny-dip-beer

(Compare: Fat Tire 160cal. Their 1554 200cal -but 7%!)
  • hannamarie88
    hannamarie88 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I love beer -- real beer. Pretty much the only light beer I can even come close to enjoying is Yuengling light. 99 calories (per 12 oz) and 100 billion times better than any other beer anywhere near that amount of calories.
    I miss Yuengling Light SO FREAKING MUCH. I moved to Indiana from Ohio and they don't have it here yet. NO LIGHT BEER COMPARES TO IT. Seriously.

I came here in search of a light substitute for Blue Moon because I love my wheat beers -- especially craft wheat beers (which let's not talk about those cals). But true, like others have said -- wheat beers are just higher cal. I find that Miller Lite is ok, but no Yuengling Light.

Also found this for those wanting the higher alcohol content: http://www.11points.com/Food-Drink/11_Best_Beers_To_Get_You_Drunk_But_Not_Make_You_Fat

I might just have the one Blue Moon because I love the taste. I have found that since I barely drink anymore because of the empty cals... I get drunk faster XD
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Holy thread resurrection
  • hannamarie88
    hannamarie88 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I googled "low calorie Blue Moon alternative" and it came up haha. I think commenting in forums comes naturally...
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Man, and I think I'm doing good when I drink a beer that's just 400 calories for a pint.