DOMS- Does it ever go away?

Options
Once your muscles get to a certain point do they quit getting so sore afterward? Or should I prepare to be sore every other day for the rest of my life?

Replies

• Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    It stops pretty quickly. If you're still getting DOMS after a few weeks of working the same muscle groups it might be worth getting it looked at.
  • inkedyouth
    Options
    i get random DOMS, that last a day or two ....creatine helps with mine but everybody is different ....could also be bad form or incorrect form when doing an exercise.

if you are just starting out .....they will fade after a week or so .
  • Cyclink
    Cyclink Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Maybe.

I've been an athlete for most of my adult life. My routine workouts don't give me DOMS at all but I can still get DOMS after a super- intense workout.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    So, the day you do a resistance program (like weight training or HIIT...etc) and have no muscle soreness, is the day you probably should choose a different routine, muscle soreness is part of resistance exercise and muscle growth. This is assuming you're doing the resistance program to promote muscle growth or strength increases, if you're talking about cardio, then yes, eventually it should be reduced to almost nothing, except for really hard days, or when you switch to a new type of routine. You can, as some suggest, minimize DOMS by taking certain vitamins and supplements, but I wouldn't want to eliminate it, it's a sign that you worked your muscles hard and they are repairing. Course soreness and pain are two different things, if you have actual pain, that should be examined for cause.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Yes it gets better. Most days I feel a slight soreness as I'm always striving to lift more, and sometimes (when I REALLY push myself!) I ache like hell! But generally the first week or 2 back into a workout routine is the worst.
  • kandilynn03
    kandilynn03 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I'm just starting out, so I wasn't sure. Every time I've tried to work out previously, I've quit because my muscles were sore for 2 days. This time, I'm determined to stick it out, but I just wanted to know if it ever got easier to deal with, or if you just get used to it.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    It goes away after a while....now I am happy when I am sore.
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    I love DOMS, I stalk it, crave it...makes me happy and satisfied.
  • Nikiki
    Nikiki Posts: 993
    Options
    had to google DOMS ;) for those like me that looked at this and said "I sorta think I get whats being asked here but what the frick is DOMS??" per WIKI (who never lies by the way) :flowerforyou: : Delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS), also called muscle fever, is the pain and stiffness felt in muscles several hours to days after unaccustomed or strenuous exercise. The soreness is felt most strongly 24 to 72 hours after the exercise. It is caused by eccentric exercise. After such exercise, the muscle adapts rapidly to prevent muscle damage, and thereby soreness, if the exercise is repeated.

I'm about like everyone else, when I'm in the gym doing routine workouts I stop getting it after a couple weeks. When my workouts are sporadic and I'm not sticking to a particular routine it seems to never stop!

Generally though when I get to the point where I stop getting sore after workouts I tend to feel discouraged and fall off the wagon because I feel like I'm not getting any fitter and am just hamster wheeling it. To keep me focused I try to stick to a program for a month or two and then do something totally outside my routine like take a boot camp or zumba class to shock my muscles.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

This. Feels alive.
  • girlie100
    girlie100 Posts: 646 Member
    Options

Me too :bigsmile:
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    It stops as you adapt to the training but as you adapt, you should always push yourself further. So if you keep pushing your limits, then you better get used to it. ;P
  • kandilynn03
    kandilynn03 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Okay, well, I guess I should just learn to appreciate that my muscles are getting stronger, and I can do more today than I could yesterday. Because I want to get fit, I guess I just need a different mindset on muscle soreness.
  • belladonna786
    belladonna786 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    unfortunately yes :(

I am soooo happy when it does come back!
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I got tha in the beginning, pain the day after to where I could barely move. I wondered the same, because working out on a regular basis didn't seem worth it to me if I could barely walk or pee almost daily!

But after about 3 weeks I am just 'nicely sore', definitely feel those used muscles! but I can still function like normal. And can workout harder.

Yay!
  • knk1553
    knk1553 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Yes it does, and for me it'll come back in random spurts. I did legs one day with my trainer to complete failure (I couldn't even walk out of the gym without holding onto something because my legs felt like jello) and had no DOMS. I did the 20 min HIIT video for turbofire the other day and my legs were SO sore the next day. Make sure you're stretching adequately, look into a post-workout drink, and keep moving. If its REALLY unbearable a warm epsom salt bath and some anti-inflammatory (advil, aleve, motrin) works wonders as well. I've found adding in about an extra 15 mins of stretching each day and then having one of my "rest" days being 45 mins of deep stretching has worked wonders for decreasing my DOMS. I always generally have a small amount with weight training, but the unbearable feeling of it being painful to move generally slows down drastically after a few weeks unless I REALLY push myself.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options

You people who love it, must not be experiencing the same pain I did the first few weeks! I was almost In tears just getting out of bed or walking, and barely could sit or get up without falling from 'collapsing' legs.

I get muscle sore now, but it is reasonable and tells me I had a good workout. But is is much different than the 'crippling' pains I had in the beginning.
    Edit for typos, though I probably still missed a few.
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    A day without DOMS is like a day without sunshine... :smile: If you're having a good week, it will shift from muscle group to muscle group as the days go on!

But really, if you are in a lot of pain, it never hurts to consult a doctor.
  • trojanbb
    trojanbb Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    I rarely rarely ever get sore nowadays. Only sometimes in my chest and quads. Or after doing an extremely high volume workout.
  • fleur_de_lis19
    fleur_de_lis19 Posts: 926 Member
    Options

Me too :bigsmile:

This.. it hurts, but its a good hurt :smokin: