DOMS- Does it ever go away?

Options
2»

Replies

• scottstephens79
    scottstephens79 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I've read the ten posting in this topic and I still can't figure it out, what does DOMS stand for?
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    "No pain, no gain!" Isn't that the saying?

I think the pain tells you you've done something. If it's unbearable, then maybe you are doing to much. If you get the point that you no longer feel any pain at all, then you need to work out harder.
  • Weezoh
    Weezoh Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I've read the ten posting in this topic and I still can't figure it out, what does DOMS stand for?

Delayed-onset Muscle Soreness
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    I love DOMS, I stalk it, crave it...makes me happy and satisfied.

Me too :bigsmile:

This.. it hurts, but its a good hurt :smokin:

A-live! iIt makes me feel ALIVE>>:drinker:
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options

Yeah, I can relate to this. I just did an intense resistance workout today...arms won't be able to move in another day or so when DOMS kicks in for me. And for those of you who hate no being able to move either, toss in yoga or stretching to help ease the pain. I used to stretch after workouts like this, but I was told by a lot of people that Yoga is the answer to reducing impact of DOMS.
  • kandilynn03
    kandilynn03 Posts: 110 Member
    Options

You people who love it, must not be experiencing the same pain I did the first few weeks! I was almost In tears just getting out of bed or walking, and barely could sit or get up without falling from 'collapsing' legs.

I get muscle sore now, but it is reasonable and tells me I had a good workout. But is is much different than the 'crippling' pains I had in the beginning.
    Edit for typos, though I probably still missed a few.

That's what I was talking about, the type of soreness where you can't climb stairs or bend over and pick up a basket of laundry without wanting to cry. I don't mean a little achy. My butt feels like it did when I got in trouble in 3rd grade and got a paddling from the gym teacher. (I hid in the bathroom during the whole P.E. class because I didn't want to run.) My butt was literally black and blue back then and it hurt to sit down. And now, I have to sit down gingerly because of f-ing squats.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    And for those of you who hate no being able to move either, toss in yoga or stretching to help ease the pain. I used to stretch after workouts like this, but I was told by a lot of people that Yoga is the answer to reducing impact of DOMS.
    I do yoga a few times a week.
    It's not just "hating the not moving", it is also " I am a stay at home with 3 boys and we homeschool. When I can't get housework or teaching and errands done most days due to lack of moving, then working out becomes less of a priority"
    Thankfully it got better in about 3 week and it is now pain that I can function with still.

So, OP, hang in there, keep up the effort, and in a few weeks you will be able to move and perform normal life functions again... And be stronger!
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Hurts...so... good.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    I read this wrong Im bad
  • ECA67
    ECA67 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Yes , until you really challenge your muscles again. Remember how larger muscles are made to begin with ?
  • kramalicious
    Options
    MY STORY : Just got over the worst case of it I have ever had in my life. Had a little over a month off due to flu and then death in the family. I did some weights and a few bodyweight workouts on my own, nothing as intense as I'd been doing.

The day I went back, I worked with the trainer that day and was an animal! LOL Didn't even get my usual burn from lots of stairs or from anything. I thought, "hmm, maybe I am in better shape than I thought." NO.

The next day I did Zumba, and after about half a day, my quads hurt so bad I could hardly walk, like they were cramped up. And that's my strongest part, the one I love to exercise the most. OMG it was painful to touch them. My dog laid his head on my legs and I yelped out loud!

The day after that, (day #2 post killer workout) I went in and did 5 minutes walk, 10 minutes light bike, stretch, and then repeated. Then did an incredibly painful foam roller attempt to help it.

The next day I rested. That night I got out my percussive massager that my vet has used on horses, and cranked that baby up. It hurt like hades, but I worked the quad muscles over and over, each section, slowly. I swear they felt crunchy.( I had been taking advil as often as possible during these days.)

Finally the next day (Day #4 Post workout) the pain was just gone.

If you are reading this because you have it, I do think that time, rest, NSAIDS, and massage will help, but nothing brought immediate relief.

Massage came closest. And the massage is going to hurt like a mother while it is going on, but do it earlier in the process than I did. Epsom salt and hot water soaks weren't much help , other than the hot soaks and showers were a distraction.

I don't know what to say to people who claim they enjoy this. I don't mind some post workout soreness the next day, even some stiffness, but this was just BEYOND.

Next time I would just pay for the massage right away to hopefully head off the worst of it. Hope This Helps someone else who suffers this!
  • dj8052
    dj8052 Posts: 15
    Options
    Hello, all these are good and funny answers. Here is some advice on doms, it does go away. If you are using weights, leg day is the absolute worst. I still get it up to 5 days after but results are always promising. Fitness has become like a hobby to me and is a way of life so pain and soreness are part of the game. Some tips to help alleviate some of the pain i suggest are drinking at least 8 cups of water a day to keep your muscles hydrated and flushed of lactic acid from strenuous workouts, purchasing a muscle stick (on amazon), dynamic stretching and some form of warm ups before a workout, and a slow walk 15-20 mins for the first two days after before doms really sets in. Hope this helps and best of luck in your goals.
  • leomentlines
    leomentlines Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I love getting DOMS.. Its a sign that I really challenged myself versus 'just showing up

It will get easier, anytime I've gone off the wagon and had to reintroduce exercise, its always much worse than normal.