Okay, I'm sick of this confusion.

Options

Replies

• JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately I really believe it's all of the above, and I feel like "eating too much" or "too little" varies a lot by person. I had to do a lot of experimentation to find out what works for me.

^^ I agree with this.
  • MamaMaryC
    MamaMaryC Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I honestly think people are unique in what works for them and what doesn't.

I tried the recommended 3 meals and 2 snacks, this makes me gain weight even if I keep to the calorie limit I am on now (which has me losing weight effectively). I used to take weightloss supplements that did not work for me but I see them working well for others. I had to learn what worked for me and quit assuming what works for someone else will work for me. I use opinions to inform what I do, but inevitably it is what I personally find works for me.

People say you cannot eat this or that and lose weight. I have freinds and family who find that some foods sabotage their weight loss. Their food list is different than mine. For me, my sabotage is fast food (even if I eat a child sized order and stay under calorie goal) and soda (even half a can).

Learn what works for you. It may take a while and many trials and errors. :)
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    “if you eat too little your weight loss will stall”
    “everyone underestimates how many calories they’re eating. you’re probably eating too many”
    “starvation mode is true. . blah blah blah”
    “starvation mode is a myth. .blah blee blah”

WHICH ONE IS IT?

"if you eat too little your weight loss will stall"- TRUE

"everyone underestimates how many calories theyre eating. youre probably eating too many" - TOO GENERAL TO SAY EVERYONE BUT PROBABLY TRUE ESPECIALLY IF YOU DONT USE MFP

"starvation mode is true.." -FALSE-ish... just keep caloric intake consistant within a 24hr period and you are fine could be 6 meals could be 1 meal but dont go 2 days without eating or something like that..

"starvation mode is a myth"- the biggest thing is that if you are not hungry then you probably dont need to eat, so if 1 large meal a day works for you then go for it.. just dont listen to IFers that say it has entire metabolic benefits because there isnt enough evidence for that and its like a meal timing fad much like the 6-8 meals a day thing.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    There is a small grain of truth to all of it, I think. I do believe that, yes, IT VARIES BY INDIVIDUAL. Some people are more genetically wired to hold onto weight in times of famine. I think "starvation mode" is taking it to a bit of a ridiculous extreme. I suppose some people do overestimate what they eat, but I think with nutrition labeling, measuring cups and spoons, and food scales this theory gets a bit ridiculous and over-applied. (Unless, of course, you're eating at restaurants. Then throw it all out the window.)

I think all of these issues lose a significant amount of importance when one lets go of a number on a scale and the ideal of being "skinny" and instead puts all of his / her efforts and attention on health and fitness. A dieter restricts calories just to see a number on a machine get smaller, regardless of what it is that's disappearing... fat, water, muscle, etc. Someone who is genuinely striving to be healthier and get his / her body into the best condition it can be works out hard and EATS, because that's what fuels physical effort. You start caring more about the quality of the food and the nutrients you're getting from it instead of just what fits into your calories, macros, etc. You start to get super happy when you see muscles start to poke out and get a little larger and more defined. Everyday things like being able to carry your groceries up a flight of stairs without strain become important and satisfying NSVs. Slipping on pants in the morning that fit is what you're really looking for, not just that scale number.

Don't be afraid to play with calories. If you make a change, like going up, and then insist on using the scale to gauge the effectiveness, give it a few weeks to thoroughly assess the effect it's having on your body. Be aware that water is going to screw with you. It just is. This is especially true if you strength train, which everyone should be doing come hell or high water.

Don't try to "lose weight". I hate that term. Instead, try to "gain fitness". Then none of these areas of confusion is that important anymore.

I REALLY wish this site had a "like" button! Good advice.
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    There is a small grain of truth to all of it, I think. I do believe that, yes, IT VARIES BY INDIVIDUAL. Some people are more genetically wired to hold onto weight in times of famine. I think "starvation mode" is taking it to a bit of a ridiculous extreme. I suppose some people do overestimate what they eat, but I think with nutrition labeling, measuring cups and spoons, and food scales this theory gets a bit ridiculous and over-applied. (Unless, of course, you're eating at restaurants. Then throw it all out the window.)

I think all of these issues lose a significant amount of importance when one lets go of a number on a scale and the ideal of being "skinny" and instead puts all of his / her efforts and attention on health and fitness. A dieter restricts calories just to see a number on a machine get smaller, regardless of what it is that's disappearing... fat, water, muscle, etc. Someone who is genuinely striving to be healthier and get his / her body into the best condition it can be works out hard and EATS, because that's what fuels physical effort. You start caring more about the quality of the food and the nutrients you're getting from it instead of just what fits into your calories, macros, etc. You start to get super happy when you see muscles start to poke out and get a little larger and more defined. Everyday things like being able to carry your groceries up a flight of stairs without strain become important and satisfying NSVs. Slipping on pants in the morning that fit is what you're really looking for, not just that scale number.

Don't be afraid to play with calories. If you make a change, like going up, and then insist on using the scale to gauge the effectiveness, give it a few weeks to thoroughly assess the effect it's having on your body. Be aware that water is going to screw with you. It just is. This is especially true if you strength train, which everyone should be doing come hell or high water.

Don't try to "lose weight". I hate that term. Instead, try to "gain fitness". Then none of these areas of confusion is that important anymore.

Great reply! Proud to be your "Pal".
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    “everyone underestimates how many calories they’re eating. you’re probably eating too many”

WHICH ONE IS IT?

The second one is most definitely not true. Everyone does not underestimate calories. But some do, especially if they are new to calories counting.

The first would be dependent on how "too little" and "you" are defined. Certainly anyone that eats too little calories to sustain life will cease to lose weight at some point because they will cease to exist. And just as certainly, everyone who eats enough to sustain life will stop losing weight at some point on ANY amount of calories, because at some point that amount will become a maintenance level.

Whether or not "starvation mode" exits, depends on how you define it. Yes, people can starve. Yes, eating too few calories may slow metabolism. But so many other factors can also affect metabolism. There is no guarantee that a VLCD will stall weight loss before you have lost your desired amount.
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    Definitely all of the above except the starvation mode thing. I believe THAT nugget is a misnomer.

Weight loss is a unique experience for everyone. What works for me isn't what is going to work for everyone.

The keys to weight loss:
    Dedication, motivation, education, will power.

Find yourself the motivation to get moving, dedication to stick with it, educating yourself along the way about your food intake and activity levels and the will power to say yes and no to the appropriate things.

This, but I also add these keyes : Stress, Men and Tequila...

:wink:
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    Trial and error. You need to experiment and find out what works best with your body. I don't know if I truly believe in starvation mode, but I don't think it's great for me to eat under 1,000 -- I get too hungry and end up ruining my progress by over eating.
  • conniehv40
    conniehv40 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    i"If hunger is not the question, food is not the answer."
  • conniehv40
    conniehv40 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Good one!
  • RavenBeauty87
    RavenBeauty87 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I use to freak out about the starvation mode. For my body (and realizing how my family eats) I eat two snacks during the day and then my meal at night (plus I'm on a low-carb diet which is working great for me).... When I use to eat every 3 hours I didn't lose anything. When I ate 3 meals I didn't lose weight. I learned to listen to my body and that has really made the weight fall off. If, at lunch, I'm not hungry I just eat a cheese stick so I don't get a headache later. If I really am hungry I'll have some peanuts or something with a lot of healthy fats. It has taken me years to realize this is the best thing for me. However, I know girls that eat as many carbs as they want as long as they count calories, ya that does NOT work for my body. I swear it is all confusing and no matter what will stay confusing. As long as you are motivated and are true to yourself with your logging and not lie because you are afraid of others seeing it or saying something you really do learn your body and it becomes such a relief. You can do it and stay off all those millions of websites. I use to stress myself over them and now I'm like meh I'll do what I want.
  • beansprouts
    beansprouts Posts: 410 Member
    Options

WHICH ONE IS IT?

Regarding weight loss...Its very simple...
    If it works for you...then it's right.
    If it does not work for you...then its wrong.

Regarding starvation mode...Once a human body burns up most of its excess fat stores((BUT...that body continues to operate at a caloric deficit)...at that point...the body in question will start to self destruct in a process know as STARVATION.
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    I like cake.
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options

WHICH ONE IS IT?

then aneorexia and bullimia would be ok?
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    My confusion is that people undergo weight loss surgery to decrease the size of their stomach and lose weight because they can only eat tablespoons of food at a time. However, when I eat 1000-1200 calories of fresh fruits, veggies, juicing, fresh smoothies and lean meats, I am told that I am not eating enough calories. Soooo….??

1) They are extremely/morbidly obese people and studies have show that folks needing to lose 75+ pounds can handle a higher calorie deficit without much of a health detriment for a period of time.
    2) This is a process monitored by medical professionals
    3) As time passes, the patient is supposed to learn how to eat properly and is able to eat more. I'm not sure about gastric bypass but with the lapband there is some sort of fluid that they can change the level of to allow you to eat more.

Either way, these are not long term or exactly healthy ways of dieting. However in many cases, WLS is less dangerous than the other health effects that the patient is facing and therefore is worth the risk.

When you undereat, you may lose weight but it's not the healthy way to go about it. You need to properly fuel your body with the right nutrients. Although 1200 calories isn't technically right for everyone, it is a common ruler used because studies show if you get this many calories, you're likely getting the minimum of nutrition you need.
  • beansprouts
    beansprouts Posts: 410 Member
    Options

WHICH ONE IS IT?

then aneorexia and bullimia would be ok?

Anorexia and bulimia are MENTAL conditions.
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    NormalSaneFLGuy Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode is what happens when you eat below 1200 calories a day, even once, or go more than 12 hours without at least 400 calories. What happens is that cells in your body called fececysts become depleted of energy and and emit a secretion that triggers hormonal responses by the guanogland. Once this occurs, the hormones decrease your caloric expenditure limit and cause your digestive system to turn all consumed calories directly into fat.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options

Great reply! Proud to be your "Pal".

:blushing: You're awesome, lady. *HUGS*
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode is what happens when you eat below 1200 calories a day, even once, or go more than 12 hours without at least 400 calories. What happens is that cells in your body called fececysts become depleted of energy and and emit a secretion that triggers hormonal responses by the guanogland. Once this occurs, the hormones decrease your caloric expenditure limit and cause your digestive system to turn all consumed calories directly into fat.

Sounds legit.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options

Ok, Normal, I seriously gotta see the reference for that. This is a theory that's completely new to me.