Okay, I'm sick of this confusion.

Options

Replies

• NormalSaneFLGuy
    NormalSaneFLGuy Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode is what happens when you eat below 1200 calories a day, even once, or go more than 12 hours without at least 400 calories. What happens is that cells in your body called fececysts become depleted of energy and and emit a secretion that triggers hormonal responses by the guanogland. Once this occurs, the hormones decrease your caloric expenditure limit and cause your digestive system to turn all consumed calories directly into fat.

Ok, Normal, I seriously gotta see the reference for that. This is a theory that's completely new to me.

Oye. I am here to share facts. I'm not here to write thesis papers. You have the basics, the terms, etc. Google as much supporting evidence as you need.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode is what happens when you eat below 1200 calories a day, even once, or go more than 12 hours without at least 400 calories. What happens is that cells in your body called fececysts become depleted of energy and and emit a secretion that triggers hormonal responses by the guanogland. Once this occurs, the hormones decrease your caloric expenditure limit and cause your digestive system to turn all consumed calories directly into fat.

Ok, Normal, I seriously gotta see the reference for that. This is a theory that's completely new to me.

Oye. I am here to share facts. I'm not here to write thesis papers. You have the basics, the terms, etc. Google as much supporting evidence as you need.

Not willing to share a reference does not look good. :frown:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    My confusion is that people undergo weight loss surgery to decrease the size of their stomach and lose weight because they can only eat tablespoons of food at a time. However, when I eat 1000-1200 calories of fresh fruits, veggies, juicing, fresh smoothies and lean meats, I am told that I am not eating enough calories. Soooo….??

1) They are extremely/morbidly obese people and studies have show that folks needing to lose 75+ pounds can handle a higher calorie deficit without much of a health detriment for a period of time.
    2) This is a process monitored by medical professionals
    3) As time passes, the patient is supposed to learn how to eat properly and is able to eat more. I'm not sure about gastric bypass but with the lapband there is some sort of fluid that they can change the level of to allow you to eat more.

Either way, these are not long term or exactly healthy ways of dieting. However in many cases, WLS is less dangerous than the other health effects that the patient is facing and therefore is worth the risk.

When you undereat, you may lose weight but it's not the healthy way to go about it. You need to properly fuel your body with the right nutrients. Although 1200 calories isn't technically right for everyone, it is a common ruler used because studies show if you get this many calories, you're likely getting the minimum of nutrition you need.

Thanks Minnie- I am more so referring to the "biology" behind it. Eat 800 calories worth of water crackers, applesauce and liquid supplements and lose weight. I each 1200 calories worth of fresh fruit, veggies and lean proteins and I'm told that I will not lose weight unless I eat more calories. Thats my confusion...I am also under a doctors care, my PCP and nutritionist. I also have right about 75lbs to lose (per the charts) but my goal is not to be that thin.

Many people are confused about properly fueling of the body. Calories consumed are not the only way to fuel a body. And weight loss surgery is not necessarily an unhealthy way to lose weight. There is increasing evidence to the contrary actually, even for those that are not morbidly obese.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately I really believe it's all of the above, and I feel like "eating too much" or "too little" varies a lot by person. I had to do a lot of experimentation to find out what works for me.

THIS. And it takes a lonnnngggg time. But you can figure it out, and once you do it's definitely a little bit easier!
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    Options

Not willing to share a reference does not look good. :frown:

How do you know that clouds are made of water molecules? From a book obviously, but which book? Exactly. There's countless textbooks that will support what I've said. I just remember the info instead of the author's names. Just google the guanogland and fececysts. You'll find a plethora of sources to draw upon.
  • bcattoes
    Options

Even if this were true, it wouldn't mean you gain weight or prevent weight loss If all consumed calories were turned directly to fat, your body would have to burn stored fat. It must use something for fuel, after all.
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    Options

Even if this were true, it wouldn't mean you gain weight or prevent weight loss If all consumed calories were turned directly to fat, your body would have to burn stored fat. It must use something for fuel, after all.

I guess you just completely ignored the part where the body drops its max burn limit, so that it gets more time out of the same energy pool.
  • Spiritwarrior3000
    Spiritwarrior3000 Posts: 322 Member
    Options

I guess you just completely ignored the part where the body drops its max burn limit, so that it gets more time out of the same energy pool.

Im a science student doing my second year of A-levels in chemistry,biology and physics. And what he says is true the body goes into a defensive mode when its starving, you store fat because your body needs energy first to function.
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    “if you eat too little your weight loss will stall”
    Yes, eventually. Took me a year of eating low calorie. I just needed a diet break. 2 weeks at maintenance.
    “everyone underestimates how many calories they’re eating. you’re probably eating too many”
    Most people, yup. And even if you're weighing. There can be a 20% margin of error on labels.
    “starvation mode is true. . blah blah blah”
    Metabolic adaptation is, again, eventually. You can have a stronger deficit if you have more to lose.
    “starvation mode is a myth. .blah blee blah”

In the sense of people eating 1200 calories for 2 weeks and then "starvation mode" kicks in? That's a myth. Again, it's metabolic adaptation.
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    Options
    “if you eat too little your weight loss will stall”
    Yes, eventually. Took me a year of eating low calorie. I just needed a diet break. 2 weeks at maintenance.
    “everyone underestimates how many calories they’re eating. you’re probably eating too many”
    Most people, yup. And even if you're weighing. There can be a 20% margin of error on labels.
    “starvation mode is true. . blah blah blah”
    Metabolic adaptation is, again, eventually. You can have a stronger deficit if you have more to lose.
    “starvation mode is a myth. .blah blee blah”

In the sense of people eating 1200 calories for 2 weeks and then "starvation mode" kicks in? That's a myth. Again, it's metabolic adaptation.

Corrections:
    -it actually takes only 24 hours for starvation mode to kick in
    -just because you call it "adaptation" instead of "mode", it doesn't mean it's a myth
    -you may be experiencing it as we speak
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    Options
    I feel like my original post explaining the guanoglands and fececysts explained it all.
    You people keep debating semantics because you don't want to get into the science of it - which I've proved.
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    I feel like my original post explaining the guanoglands and fececysts explained it all.
    You people keep debating semantics because you don't want to get into the science of it - which I've proved.

GUANOgland? FECEcyst? Hmmmm.....I think I smell something.
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    Options

GUANOgland? FECEcyst? Hmmmm.....I think I smell something.

Oh great... so your arguments have succumb to attacking the spelling of the scientific terms as opposed to the actual science? I guess I should expect that.
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    Options
    Science for the win!
  • bcattoes
    Options

Can you define "energy pool" for this body that is "turn(ing) all consumed calories directly into fat"?
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    Options

Can you define "energy pool" for this body that is "turn(ing) all consumed calories directly into fat"?

Lets think... if calories are stored into fat... what oh what could the body use as an "energy pool" for calories.... Oh that's right... fat. It's just using less of it though!
  • dayleft
    Options
    When it comes to getting over the confusion it can get complicated. I've tried everything from starvation to a rigorous training routine. To just flat out only lifting etc. Over the years to get to the point i'm at now ( which i'm happy with ). My best results came from various training guides and regimes. I starting using FLF, saw results in about 2 1/2 weeks with that planning system and information. You should read up on such things if your trying to get a little more serious - check out some of these reviews - http://www.majorityreviews.com/articles-fatloss/ - Hope that helps!!!
  • bcattoes
    Options

Lets think... if calories are stored into fat... what oh what could the body use as an "energy pool" for calories.... Oh that's right... fat. It's just using less of it though!

Okay, thinking cap on and I'm thinking real hard. But I just can't figure how that differs from my statement above that said "your body would have to burn stored fat".

And honestly I'm having a hard time with how "turning all calories consumed directly into fat" and "using stored fat for fuel" would be much different than using the calories before they turned to fat.
  • angiechimpanzee
    angiechimpanzee Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I agree with most on this thread, everyone is different. What I have been doing is trying to stick with between 1200.1300 calories a day and I have been steadily losing weight for the last month or so. Trial and error is really what it boils down to, try sticking with your calorie goal, go a little extreme and stick to a 1200 calorie a day diet, don't starve yourself though, if your hungry drink some water, if your still hungry eat something.
    Do you NET between 1200 and 1300? Or do you eat that much and exercise on top of that?
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    Options

Okay, thinking cap on and I'm thinking real hard. But I just can't figure how that differs from my statement above that said "your body would have to burn stored fat".

And honestly I'm having a hard time with how "turning all calories consumed directly into fat" and "using stored fat for fuel" would be much different than using the calories before they turned to fat.

You're not listening to a single thing I say. You're seeing words and missing entire concepts.
    Have you even looked up fececysts and tried doing an ounce of research?