Stupidest Diet Competition

Options
IronSmasher
IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
It seems that a diet I've not heard of pops up several times a week on here. Someone just replied to a post that it was the stupidest thing they'd ever heard, but I had heard of worse.

To be honest, I've been far to busy, keeping myself involved in well researched, government/health service endorsed diets to have heard of many of these 'fad' diets, but I am interested in some of the crazy ideas out there.

The rules are, it if you pull something out that is so fantastic that nobody else has heard of, you need to post a link with some kind of reference. Obviously usual credible sources aren't required, any kind of diet, health, magazine or newspaper site will be fine.

What's the stupidest diet you've heard of?

Winner gets to eat an extra 300kcals on a day of their choosing.

Replies

• Jenny_Taylia
    Jenny_Taylia Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    SENSA! lol! Sprinkle this stuff on anything you eat and lose weight! hahaha
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    Beverly Hills Cocaine Diet.
  • pullipgirl
    pullipgirl Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    The maker of Sensa came out with a product in the 90s where you sniff markers to lose weight I think it was called SlimScents
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    The maker of Sensa came out with a product in the 90s where you sniff markers to lose weight I think it was called SlimScents

http://www.slimscents.com/

I'm sure I can find something in the house to sniff where I either won't want to eat, or won't care about food, bills, deadlines....
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    Anything containing the word "cleanse"
  • ravengirl1611
    ravengirl1611 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Here are a few of the more stupid diets I've heard of - not one of which I would ever consider trying

The HCG Diet – This diet calls for you to inject yourself with human chorionic gonadotropin (the same hormone secreted by pregnant woman) while restricting yourself to 500 calories a day. Aside from the fact that HCG isn’t exactly sold on the shelf of your local pharmacy, what in the world would make someone believe pregnancy hormones will help with weight loss?

The Mastication Diet - Also known as “Fletcherism” in honor of Horace Fletcher, this diet requires you to chew eat bite of food up to 100 times. By the time you’ve finished chewing, the food has probably lost all flavor and appeal, and you’ve probably wasted half a day eating a bowl of cereal.

The Vision Diet – The inventors of special blue-tinted glasses claim the color blue naturally suppresses the appetite by making food look less appealing. If you’re really hungry, it’s unlikely a colored lens is going to prevent you from eating.

Tapeworm diet - One has to question whether or not this is a real fad diet. In any case, the theory is that if you ingest a tapeworm, you can eat all you like and the tapeworm will take care of excess calories, fat, and the like. Aside from the obvious fact that any parasite can carry diseases, this is still ridiculously stupid and dangerous. Getting rid of a tapeworm requires a trip to the doctor for medication; once they find out you purposely gave yourself a parasite, they’re likely to offer you a cushy room at the psychiatric hospital.

The Five Bite Diet - Eat five bites of any food three times a day.

The Tongue Patch Diet

​Sometimes food is so good that we have to resort to finding a crockpot doctor to sew a rather large patch on our tongues that make it painful and uncomfortable to eat. That's right food-hating masochists, this one's for you.

Not only does the tongue patch get sewn onto one of your most sensitive body parts, you also get to experience sharp, ripping pain anytime something solid enters your mouth. Not to worry, the patch is not permanent, so as soon as you rip that sucker out with a toothpick, you can go back to eating your bacon.

Some of these are so bizzare that I really really hope that no one has actually tried these - however - humans being what they are Im sure there is some complete dumbass somewhere that has tried some of these.

for even more - here's a couple links for you
    http://www.nondiet.com/fad-diets/
    http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/jackalope/2011/05/six_stupid_summer_diets.php

Eat smart and less, move more and lose weight- simple - and remember - extra weight is not a sweater - you cant just take it off in one move - it took years to get there - it'll probably take years to go away
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I saw a woman on a talk show once who went to live with some Aboriginal tribe, who only ate in a day what they could fit in their 2 cupped hands. She was advocating this as a healthy diet/lifestyle.
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    Just yesterday I saw for the first time, the 80 bite diet. I thought I would die laughing! Yep....and apparently, its a "credible" diet because there is an iphone app for it. Is that all it takes now? An iphone app? Sheesh.

yeah i saw that too... i think that's ridiculous!!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Just yesterday I saw for the first time, the 80 bite diet. I thought I would die laughing! Yep....and apparently, its a "credible" diet because there is an iphone app for it. Is that all it takes now? An iphone app? Sheesh.

there was a woman on the forums a while ago who was on a '10 bite diet'

she figured that on average any one bite of food was 50 calories... so 10 bites 3 x a day (breakfast, lunch and dinner presumably) would give her 1500 cals...
  • Ta2dchic20
    Ta2dchic20 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Beverly Hills Cocaine Diet.

This one might work..lol
  • anifani4
    anifani4 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    The rotation diet. Week 1, severe restriction of calories with specific foods to eat whether you like them or not. Week 2 and Week 3, not specified but about 1200 calories, still eating specific menus whether you like the food or not. Week 4, forget all about it and eat whatever you want. Repeat these four weeks until you reach your goal. I wonder if anyone ever made it past day 1.
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    I heard of the 'not eating things the same colour as your plate diet' on the radio. They were playing a game where you had to guess which was true. Nobody could believe/understand that this was in fact the latest diet of Kelly Osbourne.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/dietandfitness/9335820/Lose-weight-by-changing-the-colour-of-your-plate.html

but there you go...
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I heard of the 'not eating things the same colour as your plate diet' on the radio. They were playing a game where you had to guess which was true. Nobody could believe/understand that this was in fact the latest diet of Kelly Osbourne.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/dietandfitness/9335820/Lose-weight-by-changing-the-colour-of-your-plate.html

but there you go...
    Kelly Osbourne is the greatest yo-yo dieter I've ever seen.
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    The Feeding Tube Diet. Google it.
  • tehzephyrsong
    tehzephyrsong Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    There is some science behind the vision diet. Blue has been shown to be associated with decreased appetite - "blue plate special" = smaller portion of food served on a plate the color of which will make you feel less hungry. That's why many restaurants are commonly decorated in reds, oranges and yellows; these colors stimulate appetite. Red in particular connotes a sense of urgency; fast food restaurants, for this reason, commonly feature red prominently in their decor. They want you hungry, but they also want you gone as quickly as possible. I don't know if wearing blue-tinted glasses while you eat will actually curb your appetite, but you'll definitely look silly, so maybe you'll do more of your eating at home...and that's a start, I guess.

My boyfriend and I are looking at moving to Miami next year (I'm in the interview pool for a job there). He has a very deadpan sense of humor, so while we were talking about this he suggested we both try the South Beach diet. I raised an eyebrow at him, like "dafuq" because this boy abhors diet plans and believes he can sculpt himself into a living Adonis by kayaking a whole bunch and eating pizza and chicken wings all the time. Whatever, I'm working on him. Then he grins and says "You know, the South Beach diet! Hookers and blow."
  • Miss_dannii
    Miss_dannii Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    My friend (who has a drop dead gorgeous body!!!) Went on the 'baby food diet' which was literally jars of baby food. she'd have a couple a day and that was it. Facepalm..
  • fraser112
    Options
    Anything that is not a calorie deficit with high protein and weight lifting.Hell with this you can go down to 800-900 calories with no muscle loss if done right for short bursts what more do people need ? :huh:
  • LucyT4dieting
    LucyT4dieting Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Any "diet" that you can't stick to for the rest of your life is STUPID! Any of them will probably work in the short term, but after awhile, you'll end up going back to eating, and probably eat more. That's why so many people gain all the weight back PLUS! You have to make this a lifestyle, and for that, you have to eat healthy food in smaller portions and move more. I've tried some wacky diets in my time, and they all worked for awhile, but I always gained the weight back. Hopefully, this time, I've learned my lesson.
  • tvanhooser
    tvanhooser Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I don't know that this is actually a marketable "diet" plan but it is the stupidest thing I've heard in regards to weight loss. I think it was from a movie, "The Devil Wears Prada" where the snooty assistant tells Anne Hathaway's character that her diet consists of just not eating anything until she is about to pass out from hunger and then just taking the tiniest slice/dollop of non-fat something or other (cheese, yogurt, crackers -- can't remember exactly what it was). Uh--NO THANK YOU!! That's NOT a diet!! That's an eating disorder!!
  • TexasTroy
    TexasTroy Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    the "seafood diet" ...I see-food, I eat it...hell, works for me:)