Need some genuises

Options
Ok, so I've been at this for quite some time now. I lost 7-8 pounds relatively quickly, but seem to be stuck there. I don't think it was the calorie counting guide on MFP that was the factor. According to the calorie counter I should be 10 lbs lighter. I am usually at or below the calorie count every day, but never seem to realize the weight loss MFP says I should be at. I've never started a post before or looked at anybody's diary, so I'm not sure how that works. Any ideas?

Replies

• CINDYRN33
    CINDYRN33 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Same thing here...lost 12 pounds quick now nothing for 3 weeks I think it is my bodies way of pulling back the reins and trying to ajust and that the weight will move again soon. I will be curious to see the answers. Oh i forgot to mention I know a lot of the first 12 lbs was also water weight too.
  • envy09
    envy09 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I would make SURE I have the right settings for my activity level, and anything else that could affect the TDEE mfp gives you. If that number is wrong, then you are not eating at the deficit you think you are.

Another point. How long is "quit some time" ? Maybe you're not giving the program enough time. MFP can only tell you what you should generally lose, but everybody is different.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    As a genius, I have many ideas.
  • Game8
    Game8 Posts: 442
    Options
    It's very simple: when your weight loss stalls, you have to either decrease calorie intake or increase activity level.
  • fp64
    fp64 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Patience and increased exercise intensity.
    Oh, and the numbers are estimates
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't really pay attention to the projected weight loss that MFP gives me when I complete my diary everyday. I've had steady, healthy weight loss since February, but I've never been at the projected weight.

As for the weight loss stalling, you could try switching up your activities at the gym. When I don't see progress for a couple weeks at a time, I know it's time to start a new lifting program- I usually see the progress resume once I change things up.

Also, if you aren't already, start paying more attention to nutrients other than calories. Track your protein, fats, carbs and sugars. You may find that you are significantly over on one or more on a daily basis. This could also hinder your progress.
  • Julicat6
    Julicat6 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Actually measure your food, don't eyeball! Get out measuring cups or digital scales and spend a whole week measuring everything. Even if you did this when you first started, it's amazing how our eyes trick us. Anytime I plateau that has helped, learned that from doing Weight Watchers for the first 40 lbs.
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Easier to give advice if you open your diary.

The number that MFP gives you is not a number to eat under. You are supposed to eat at that number and eat your exercise calories, but the number may be wrong. Have you calculated anywhere else?

Please open your diary or at least give us your stats so someone can give you ideas.
  • leonmedwards
    Options
    Measure your proportions and log everythign. If you log a cup actually eat a cup. If you have ketchup on the burger log the ketchup. I was on a plateau for several weeks after loosing about 30-40lbs. I have only recently in the past month started coming back from that. I got away form logging correctly. I workout a min of 4 days a week for at least an hour a day and usually pretty intense, so I knew that had nothing to do with it. I debated my wife when she said it was because I was not logging correctly. In the end she was correct (ususally is) and I have finally started on the decline again.

So I think above all watch what you are eating. Make sure you are getting your food groups covered in all meals and accurately log ow much you are eating. Break out the measuing cups and measuring spoons. I'm guessing you will be suprised what you are actually eating vs. what you are logging. At least I was.
  • romach79
    romach79 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Its open now - I had to figure out where the switch was.

So I've been at this for about 8 months, started at 208 at the peak
    now down to 197, trying to get to 175

Ht 5' 9"
  • romach79
    Options
    "As a genius, I have many ideas. "

Well that was helpful
  • slrrese
    slrrese Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    After reviewing your diary here are a few suggestions. Log all the TIME!! You skip so much it is hard too see if your getting consistent calories or meeting your goals. Eat more lean meats and raw or cooked veggies ( with an emphasis on raw). Replace high density carbs like bread with tortillas, pita bread and thin buns for some of your meals and add more veggies to fill up instead of breads.
  • romach79
    Options
    Ok - I appreciate the tip. I'll give it a go.
  • eileenchristine
    eileenchristine Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Make a commitment to log daily honestly. Then look at the food and think what could I replace that krispy creme donut with? Carry lower calorie and better choices around with you. I have some awesome Trader Joe granola bars and balance bars for tossing in my purse when I am going out. Keep rice cakes, pickled beets ( can eat the whole jar for 80 calories!), etc.

I have a commitment to logging daily honestly (usually finish logging next day cuz I do eat at night or sometimes I will forget I ate something). When I know I have to record the whatever it makes me think! Does take more time at grocery store reading labels, etc. but I am losing so its worth it! And logging helps me to get moving more.

You can do this if you want to. Pretty simple. Just log, make good choices and move a little extra daily.

Blessings,
    Christine
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    if you are logging all your food, then you aren't eating enough. and 1,500 is way too low for a man. way too low.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    I have an 8 year old son that eats more than you
  • marysue1965
    marysue1965 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Are you exercising at least 5 days a week?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Its open now - I had to figure out where the switch was.

So I've been at this for about 8 months, started at 208 at the peak
    now down to 197, trying to get to 175

Ht 5' 9"

Lets add some perspective, because you are severely under eating... I am 5'11, 193, 12% body fat, and 30 years old, workout 6 days a week for an hour and I cut at 2600 - 2800 calories. What kind of exercise do you do?
  • romach79
    Options
    Lets add some perspective, because you are severely under eating... I am 5'11, 193, 12% body fat, and 30 years old, workout 6 days a week for an hour and I cut at 2600 - 2800 calories. What kind of exercise do you do?

I'm 55, not sure what my body fat % is, the charts say I'm way over 30% - I suspect that is inaccurate.
    I alternate cardio with weights M-F during lunch hour (plus a half)
    The cardio is 30 minutes on the treadmill, plus the 5 min cool down
    weights are chest - back, arms and shoulders, legs and abs
    Plus the yard work on weekends - usually a couple of hours worth.
  • Amanda7481
    Options
    Are you walking or running on the treadmill? A walk for 30 minutes to me is not considered cardio. :tongue: