SBF2 Boogaloo week of Feb. 1, 2010

Options
Good morning! Just got back from spin class. Was actually dripping with sweat and thinking about you all!:laugh: I am wondering if sweating produces more sweat? Am I actually sweating more when I don't wear a headband because the sweat is allowed to fall? Or, is the headband just absorbing the sweat, and it is actually the same amount? What do you think?

Time to it the shower!

Two days to Vegas boogaloo! :drinker:

:heart:
Bobbie

Replies

• Bobbie145
    Bobbie145 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Oops. I tried to edit since I left out the "Reboot" in "Reboot Boogaloo", but it wouldn"t let me edit the topic line. Sorry.:embarassed:

Bobbie
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Morning pebbs.

I just weighed in. And, even with PMS, I've lost four pounds since Jan. 1st. (I always subtract a pound from the loss I enter here, so I don't have to go backwards. It's my bizarre system). So, I effectively lost a pound a week. This is particularly cool, because I know I am currently retaining some water. I'm planning on doing my measurements later in the day. If there's any big, big changes, I'll report in.

Looking over my report of calories eaten, there were days when I was WAY under my calorie goal, but there were others (with exercise) that I went quite high. There were two days where I ate at or higher than maintenance. I successfully logged every single day. It seemed on the graph like I was doing a sort of natural calorie zig-zag by just listening to my body. I can honestly say that I haven't been hungry. There were a few times where I had the urge to stress eat, but managed not to.

I worked out 28 of 31 days! Not too shabby.

So, my goals for February are as follows:

1. Continue with eating as I am right now. Avoiding refined sugar and refined carbs (and pretty much all grain carbs, I'm down to one serving a day. . .this encourages me to eat more fruits and veg.) I'm aiming to have these things every two weeks at most. I'm finding that since they trigger wanting more, that's been a pretty good incentive to avoid them.

2. Keep up the exercise pace. Since Feb. has 28 days, I'm aiming for 24 workouts. The new gym makes it impossible to make an excuse for not working out. It literally takes me less than a minute to walk there, and I can go absolutely any time. I'm planning to go to Bikram every Saturday or Sunday depending on my schedule, and if I find I'm craving it during the week, I'll add another session. (my studio has added daily noon classes that make this easy to do!) Other than that, there are plenty of cool classes offered at the new gym, as well as fancy-schmancy cardio/weights equipment.

3. To keep journaling six days a week. This has helped me feel a bit more grounded overall. If something is stressing me out under the surface, it has tended to come up in the "morning pages" instead of later when I'm faced with a cookie. (the "morning pages" are a writing technique from a great book called "The Artist's Way", where you just let yourself write whatever comes to mind for three pages and then stop. I find it clears the head for the rest of the day.)

And, that's enough.

So, the only real difference is more variety in the workouts. I'll probably double up on a few classes at my gym, to get in a longer workout from time to time.

Keep on keeping on boogaloo!:flowerforyou:
  • lotusfromthemud
    Options
    Oh, and Bobbie, the odds are that the headband is absorbing the sweat.:wink: I forgot mine a few days ago for Bikram, and I was going blind from all the sweat in my eyes.:flowerforyou:
  • mechanicmom
    mechanicmom Posts: 5,695 Member
    Options
    Good morning!
    I've decided this week doesn't count. :tongue: My cycle will be here soon.
    Eating has been a bear the last few days! I have been craving everything and when I get what I wanted I want something else. It's very frustrating. I know it's due to AF, but it's not good for me.
    Goals for the week are probably more personal than weight related:
    work out 3-5X this week with Shred (depends on AF)
    more deep cleaning (four closets down!)
    "schooling" Alex 2-3x this week (trying to get ready to homeschool him and M next year)
    try to cut food portions down
    I meant to start push ups a couple of weeks ago and just forgot. I will add them in this week!
    Oh and try to find where the rats are getting in (or get the landlord to send someone out) and block the hole.
    Another beginning boogaloo!
    MM
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,784 Member
    Options
    Congrats, V! That's wonderful.

My temporary weight loss is gone. That's ok. I'm not dieting. Eventually I'll be at a weight that both my mind and my body are happy with.

Today, I'm thinking gym. It's been a while since cardio coach and elliptical have seen each other. Also yoga tonight.

I keep stressing over teaching last week: I missed two yoga classes because of strep and I couldn't find a sub. Then, the sub that was supposed to be there for me Friday, came at the wrong time (which is really silly, since she subbed for me the week before). I need to let things like this go. It's too late to do anything and it's over. Oh, the other thing I'm stressing about - the owner of the gym, who got involved in all this last week, told me I need to contact the fitness director if I can't make it at the last minute. I asked him twice who this person was - no response. When I go in on Friday, I will ask around to see if anyone knows.

I will take this frustration to the gym, where it belongs.

Elliptical, boogaloo!
  • lotusfromthemud
    Options

Oh and try to find where the rats are getting in (or get the landlord to send someone out) and block the hole.
    Another beginning boogaloo!
    MM

Hey, MM. . .check with the health department website for your area. We had a really, really bad (ewwww. . .) cockroach infestation a few years back (long story involving disgruntled restaurant owners who vacated their premises and left food there to rot (ewww. . .). We found out that the building can be declared a health hazard and our landlord could have had to deal with a HUGE fine, along with relocating expenses for everyone in the building. Magically, an expert exterminator arrived immediately after I told him I knew this. I still have actual nightmares about it. Just something that might be worth some research. I hate it when landlords "fix" things instead of fix them, if you know what I mean. In the meantime, you have my sympathies.
  • cp005e
    cp005e Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Still feeling a bit down in the dumps from last week. Found out another person was let go who was on vacation last week. :cry: My main goals for this week are sticking with a "normal" routine despite my mood. This especially means not stress-eating, which I did too much of last week. I found myself in the break room staring at a package of Oreos a little while ago... but I just have to keep telling myself that eating the Oreos is not going to help anything, and won't even really make me feel better.

Great job on sticking to your plan for the month, V, and seeing results! That must feel good. Bobbie, I think you probably sweat the same amount either way - it's just more annoying without something to mop it up! I keep meaning to get another headband - I have one, but it's not really a sweat-absorbing one.

Today is my last dance class with the inept teacher, and I'm back to pushups. I think maybe once this class is finished I will swap in another day of running so I can do one longer/slower run and one faster/hillier run every week.

Carrying on, boogaloo. :flowerforyou:
  • lotusfromthemud
    Options
    Aw man, CP. I am so sorry. A toxic-feeling work environment is one of the worst things to have to deal with. Add that to the fact that you're losing co-workers, and I can definitely understand that you're stressed.

Mary, I have the same issues with feeling guilty/responsible for things that are actually out of my control. I have trouble signing over power, if you catch my meaning. I had one job, which I loved, where if you had to get a shift covered, both parties (the one giving away the shift and the one taking it over) had to go tell a manager, who then changed the schedule physically. Serious discipline was involved if the party taking over didn't show. It seemed harsh at the time, but now I realize that it allowed the shift-giver-awayer to completely wash their hands of the responsibility. I have trouble washing my hands of responsibility. Hope it all works out.

MM, when you're done deep cleaning, would you come do my house? :tongue: I wish I could afford to hire a professional organizer some days. It's not that I'm a hoarder or my apartment is a mess, but our place is the smallest I've ever lived in (not counting dorms) and I wish I had someone who was really smart about organizing/storage to come and make my stuff more manageable. This is mostly clothes. (even though I have the fewest clothes I've ever owned in my life, I just can't seem to get them organized in a way I like) Also, they could work on my husband's studio (a room I can't even go into anymore. I just close the door and think of the money that little cluttered cave makes for us.:wink: I have to respect that just because I couldn't work like that, that doesn't mean my husband can't.) I continue to fight the tidiness battle, though.

Oh, and now that my novel is over, today is Zumba. I'm also pondering going to a 6 o'clock yoga class at the gym. I took a pretty awesome boxing class (it will be more fun when the newbies learn the punches and we can do more sophisticated combos) yesterday, and I'm eager to try a yoga teacher. Also, I'm into the "wind down the afternoon" workouts lately.

Zumbayoga boogaloo!:flowerforyou:
  • yoginimary
    Options
    CP - sorry to hear all that, it will get better.
    MM - it must be so hard to know your little girl is in Russia and your not
    V - Always go try the new teacher.
    Bobbie & Niccole - keep posting, we want to hear from you!

So the gym was tough yesterday. It's been awhile since I've done serious cardio. Since I'm a year older, my heart rate zones changed.

We had a catsultant come by yesterday to help us with our guys. Will let you know if it works. Right now the cats have a buffet of foods, to try to find one they like that doesn't have much grain.

Today: kick butt yoga is back - and it's going to hurt - it's been over 2 weeks! Also, a walk.

Another year older, boogaloo!

ps: V, we are seriously considering Toronto & Niagra Falls this summer - husband has never been. Suggestions appreciated.
  • mechanicmom
    Options
    Sitting here waiting for Alex's tumbling class to start. After this we are going straight to horse therapy. I have already been to the landlord's office to get paperwork we need for the adoption and I told them about the rats. She said they would send someone out. Guess I need to stop deep cleaning and do dishes. Lol!
    CP, so sorry about all the layoffs at work! That really stinks. It's totally understandable why you are down and stressed. Just don't pull a MM and eat everything in sight. I know you won't.
    Mary, it will be interesting to hear about your cats.
    V, we flew over you on the trip to Russia and back. I was thinking about you as I watched our flight path on the tv. :)
    after running all these errands I will clean and try to work out. Didn't yesterday. I cleaned instead. Forgot push ups too. Try to remember them today. I haven't been motivated to work out this week thanks to AF!
    Forward rolls boogaloo!
    MM
  • mechanicmom
    Options
    Change of plans. I have a headache and I don't feel like doing anything. It started in the middle of the night and hasn't gotten any better. It's hormonal I think. :grumble: Feeling cranky and not so good. I will still try to do push ups in a bit though.
    MM
  • cp005e
    Options
    Hi Mary - I know you didn't ask me, but Niagara Falls is only 1.5 hours away from me, too. :smile: The best view is from the Canadian side, of course. Adults need a passport to get into Canada now, by the way, so make sure yours is current. There are lots of cheesy tourist things (like the wax museum) right around the Falls, of course, but the Falls themselves are pretty amazing. There is a butterfly conservatory just down the road a bit (not walking distance) which is kind of fun. If you like theatre, there's the Shaw Festival in Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario, and the Stratford Shakespeare Festival (in Stratford, ON). There are some wineries in the Niagara region (and more in the Finger Lakes region in NY), but I think you said you don't drink. Can you tell I like traveling/trip planning? :wink:

I read something recently about how to figure out what your personal heart rate ranges should be instead of just going by the (220 - age) formula. I think it was basically running a lap as fast as you could, walking 30 seconds, doing it two more times, and then checking your heart rate - that's pretty much your max. :huh: Not sure if that's a great idea, though.

Feeling a little better today. I'm about to head out to the good dance class. MM, I could use your help cleaning, too. Hope you feel better, and good luck on your pushups!
  • lotusfromthemud
    Options
    Ooh, CP. . .those are great, too. I was totally stuck in GTA mode when I made all of my recommendations.:tongue:

Incidentally, Mary, thanks for the nudge to try the new teacher. She was the BEST non-Bikram teacher I've had here. Also, she told me I had a "strong practice", which was a compliment I think I needed. I even popped up in wheel (well, to the crown of my head, which was big progress for me) for the first time in a very, very long time.

Yay, yoga, yay! (I've started greeting my husband if he's home with "Yay, (insert workout of the day), yay!").
  • Bobbie145
    Bobbie145 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Almost time to leave for the airport!!! I am taking a yogalates DVD with me and my laptop, so hopefully I can get a little exercise in. I am hoping I will not succumb to eating temptations. :noway: I am not going to log, but I will check in with you guys!

Las Vegas Boogaloo!!!:drinker:

Bobbie
  • mechanicmom
    Options
    Have fun Bobbie!

Yesterday was not the greatest day for me. AF still hasn't shown up. :grumble:
    I did however test on my push ups and got to 13! That's pretty good for not having done them in months and hardly exercising either. I may have been able to push a few more out but I didn't have shoes on so my feet were slipping. So I will try to get back on track with the push up program today. CP, How are you doing on that? Reached week 6 yet? There's not a thread anymore is there?
    I didn't do anything yesterday afternoon. No cleaning anything. Today is cleaning, one hour of school with Alex (he LOVES it!), trying to curb the sweets cravings, and getting a work out in. Push ups too. Hope I don't forget!
    The rat was busy last night in the kitchen and knocked stuff over. :noway: I hope they call today about coming out. I am not looking forward to pulling out the fridge to find the hole. DH said he could set up a "ratcam" so we can catch it in action on the computer. LOL. You know, I assume it's a rat. Could be a squirrel. Had one of those in the microwave vent pipe last year. Who cares. I just want it outside!
    Rodent control boogaloo!
    MM
  • lotusfromthemud
    Options
    Have fun in Vegas, Bobbie.
    MM, Rat, Squirrel. . .very little difference really. Neither is anything you want in your kitchen.

Today I have a session with my trainer scheduled. I am sore from holding pads in boxing class (I didn't really get to hit anything hard, and they're the opposing muscles from throwing punches. . .I expressed an interest in having a stronger partner next week. ..my partner was a lot smaller than me, and I was afraid I was going to break her :laugh: ) and maybe a bit sore from yoga last night.

I keep having these weeks that seem to get away from me, where Saturday-Tuesday just dissolve. I think that next week I'm going to do my Friday teaching prep on the way home from teaching, or at least earlier in the week. Wednesday is sort of a lost day as far as that is concerned, because I have training, lesson teaching and choir practice. I'm going to try to get at least a bit of the marking done today, though. Maybe what I should work on is going someplace to do the work, as I never seem to want to work at home. It's too easy to do other things at home (clean, decide to cook a bunch of food and freeze it, wash the sheets, brush the cat, watch tv, and that's just the distraction list from this week!).

Anyways, today is boxing with the trainer, hopefully followed by a bit of assisted stretching. I'm tight from all the working out. So far, all of the instructors at the new gym have been great. And, people are much friendlier at the new gym than at my other two, which is a bonus for sure. I like to talk to people and know the names of the people I'm sweating with.:wink:

Hitting stuff boogaloo!:flowerforyou:
  • yoginimary
    Options
    Have fun Bobbie!
    I love to plan trips too, CP. That's why I'm thinking about July in February. I'm already thinking about escaping the heat. Actually, I'm just figuring out the cost at this point.
    Good luck with the vermin, MM.
    I'm glad you're enjoying your gym, V.

Well, hard yoga was on the easy side yesterday - so I'm not in pain. Today is more walking and yoga class tonight. Tomorrow, back to the gym. I was asked to cover the shelter (run the office, deal with the public) on Saturday - which kinda ruins my whole plan for the week. Ah well, I'm not asked that often. At least I'm not watching football on Sunday.

New York dreaming, on such a winter's day, boogaloo!
  • cp005e
    Options
    Hope you have a great time, Bobbie! I am hoping to get some good trips in this year - I saved vacation from last year, and purchased some extra, too. But it also turned out that my dad is having heart surgery in two weeks, so I am taking some time for that as well. Once that is over, I will start other planning. My folks wanted us to go to Costa Rica with them, so hopefully that will happen. And maybe a trip out west (we had been talking about the Badlands even before you went, V - I loved them as a kid), or some other jaunts.

I went for a shorter, faster run tonight - 3 miles, the 1st two at 7mph and the 3rd at 6mph. Whee! Still need to do my pushups. MM, I haven't seen a thread around lately. I am still on week 5, but I moved up to level 3 this week. Sorry about the rat/squirrel. That would creep me out. And my husband still wakes up in the middle of the night, thinking there are bats. :tongue:

Oh, and V - I can't get any work done at home. I pretty much did my whole master's capstone in coffee shops.

Pushing up, boogaloo! :flowerforyou:
  • lotusfromthemud
    Options
    Morning pebbs,

Cranky today. Do you have those days where you feel really over-scheduled, even though in reality you're not. I just have a cranky toddler brain right now, and anything I "have" to do is annoying. I think I'm having a using more self-discipline backlash psychologically. All I want to do is spend quality time on my sofa, and that can't happen.

Anyways,
    today it's marking, Spanish practice, and after that it's grocery shopping, followed by a lesson re-scheduled from yesterday, followed by (if I don't finish in the first hour-long block) more marking, followed by spin class. I just need to stay focused and stay on track. I actually had to write down a schedule yesterday (which luckily I woke up early enough to be ahead of already).

I would be more chatty, but that would interfere with my goal of staying focused.:tongue: Hope everyone has a marvelously efficient day. Myself included.

Doing what I don't want to (or changing how I feel about it) boogaloo!:flowerforyou:
  • yoginimary
    Options
    Hope your dad is doing ok, CP.

Today, it's back to the gym. I asked my yoga teacher for a private lesson, working on backbends and inversions. Yesterday, in class, we did some headstand & shoulderstand variations to get me ready. It was a long time being upside down. She isn't letting me pay her for the private lessons. Makes me feel guilty. My mom said to allow her to give me one free (as a birthday present, like she said), then refuse any other classes unless I pay her. It's hard to refuse your teacher though. Sound weird?

I also need to do the rest of the recommendations from the catsultant today and make meringue hearts.

Upside down, boogaloo!