1200 calories a day.

Options

Replies

• summercrook
    Options
    Yes, I am!! I think it is actually 1290...I would love to see your diary! You are more than welcome to look over mine. I try to eat as much protein to stay satisfied. I still get the things I love to eat like my breakfast & my nightcap before bed! ;)
  • Brittany_lhs
    Options
    I am on a 1200 calorie per day diet and I feel like I eat plenty. I am never really hungry, even after completing Insanity everyday. I am new here and would love positive friends to help motivate me through my weight loss! I use to be in awesome shape, then I had a baby and for the last year I have tried to stick to a workout/diet regimen but keep losing the motivation. With my son's first birthday and the holidays arriving I really want to stick with it and get back in shape...8 more pounds to prepregnancy and then hopefully some more!
  • kittyraj
    kittyraj Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    MFP has worked out that for me to lose 1lb per week I need 1200 calories per day.

My lifestyle is most hours on my bum, at a desk. I'm 5'7 - 5'8 and my BMR is about 1600. I was on 1500 for a while and then I plateaud, That was reduced to 1400 as the weight when down. I don't know how but MFP automatically works it out and then I stopped losing so went down to 1200. I'll stick with that till Christmas and then go back to my 1500 to give my body a break from routine.

Add me if you like. x
  • minreco
    Options
    Hi there!
    I'm on a 1200 daily diet, feel free to check out my diary, but I eat alot of frozen meals due to 12 hour shifts.
  • Gweno55
    Options
    Hi, I started 1200 a week ago and have lost a few pounds. I have never done a "Count Your Calories" diet before. I was wondering, does it matter what you eat as long as you stick to the calories alotted. I work and ususally eat out for lunch which means alot of sandwiches. When I went over my diary this morning, I'm not eating really healthy food, but staying within my calorie range. I tend to eat alot of stachy food. How do I look at others peoples diary to see what you guys are eating that works for you. I need all the help I can get!!
  • minreco
    Options
    Hi I'm fairly new to this too, but MFP also calculates the amount of carbs, fat, and protein you take it with your calories. Goals are set for these nutrients also. I have to keep a close eye on my carb intake because I looove them! But yes, it does matter what kinds of food you eat.
  • Gweno55
    Options
    Thanks, I hadn't really thought much about what I was eating as long as I stayed within my range. But, the moring when I got on the scales I had gained almost a pound. So, I figured I was doing something wrong!! I will keep a better check on what I eat now. I am really dreading the holidays!!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

I've pulled many a people out of the 1200 pit.
    Read this and understand that 1200 probably isnt your number unless you are 80 years old, under 4 foot tall with ZERO activity.
    That is unless you are eating back ALL burned calories.

I am 49, NOT 80, 5'6" NOT 4 ft tall, and am fairly sedentary other than 30 minute bike ride 4-6 days per week. My TDEE (maintenance) is around 1700. A 500 calorie deficit puts me at 1200 for a 1 pound loss. An extra 150-200 calorie exercise burn gives me a bit more if I don't eat them back. Of course I could eat more if I exercised more and lifted weights, but medical issues and injuries prevent that for me, as well as many others on here. Or perhaps they have jobs and families and don't have an extra 10 hrs a week to spend in the gym. It is not that we CHOOSE to eat the least amount of food that we can, we eat at an appropriate level for us, to get in the nutrients that we need, without STARVING ourselves, but losing an appropriate 1-2 lbs per week.

Dan, you are a smart guy who has indeed helped a lot of people on here, but when you make such ridiculous statements like those, you start to lose credibility. Like I have mentioned before, I know a 60 yr old lady who is 4'10" (almost 5 ft) is fairly active and MAINTAINS her weight on 900 calories per day. She has been a WW leader for 30 yrs and is very healthy. Why is it so hard to accept that for many people, 1200 a day is perfectly healthy and acceptable for them when they are trying to lose weight? No, it is NOT appropriate for EVERYONE, but it is certainly NOT unhealthy for EVERYONE either.

And they don't have to be 80 year old bedridden midgets. Please keep your comments a little more realistic.

I have done 100s of numbers for old, young and in between.
    I've only had 1 BMR come out below 1200.
    She was 21 and 4'11".
    If you get out of bed and you want to get in good shape and look good naked then you wont eat 1200 calories.
    If you want to lose "weight" and you arent too concerned with how you look at the end of your road then by all means eat 1200 daily.
    I can assure you that skinny-fat is neither pretty nor easy to get rid of.
    So spend as much time as you want cutting calories and getting weak then come see me when you are ready to look good naked.
    I'll have you eating above TDEE for a few months to build up the lean mass youve lost then cutting all over again next year.
    Stop wasting your time and do this right.

My case and point on this is if you look at most of the people who claim 1200 is the cure, look at their join date and how much they have lost.

Eating more allows your body to work naturally to lose "fat" first.
    Eating too few calories gives your body reason to store "fat".
    Why give the most important machine in the world the bare minimum.
    Doesnt make any sense.
  • lesita75
    lesita75 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Read this and understand that 1200 probably isnt your number unless you are 80 years old, under 4 foot tall with ZERO activity.

I am 49, NOT 80, 5'6" NOT 4 ft tall, and am fairly sedentary other than 30 minute bike ride 4-6 days per week. My TDEE (maintenance) is around 1700. A 500 calorie deficit puts me at 1200 for a 1 pound loss. An extra 150-200 calorie exercise burn gives me a bit more if I don't eat them back. Of course I could eat more if I exercised more and lifted weights, but medical issues and injuries prevent that for me, as well as many others on here. Or perhaps they have jobs and families and don't have an extra 10 hrs a week to spend in the gym. It is not that we CHOOSE to eat the least amount of food that we can, we eat at an appropriate level for us, to get in the nutrients that we need, without STARVING ourselves, but losing an appropriate 1-2 lbs per week.

Dan, you are a smart guy who has indeed helped a lot of people on here, but when you make such ridiculous statements like those, you start to lose credibility. Like I have mentioned before, I know a 60 yr old lady who is 4'10" (almost 5 ft) is fairly active and MAINTAINS her weight on 900 calories per day. She has been a WW leader for 30 yrs and is very healthy. Why is it so hard to accept that for many people, 1200 a day is perfectly healthy and acceptable for them when they are trying to lose weight? No, it is NOT appropriate for EVERYONE, but it is certainly NOT unhealthy for EVERYONE either.

And they don't have to be 80 year old bedridden midgets. Please keep your comments a little more realistic.

She was 21 and 4'11".
    If you get out of bed and you want to get in good shape and look good naked then you wont eat 1200 calories.
    If you want to lose "weight" and you arent too concerned with how you look at the end of your road then by all means eat 1200 daily.
    So spend as much time as you want cutting calories and getting weak then come see me when you are ready to look good naked.
    I'll have you eating above TDEE for a few months to build up the lean mass youve lost then cutting all over again next year.

My case and point on this is if you look at most of the people who claim 1200 is the cure, look at their join date and how much they have lost.

Doesnt make any sense.

^^ Good advice there!!!

I'm 4'11" 37y/o. SW:159 CW:142

I quickly stalled on 1200 cals per day (I plataued for almost 12 weeks). I slowly increased my daily intake and now I'm at 1400 cal per day and am losing weight again. On days that I lift I easily eat between 1700-1900 cal.
  • Gurlyknockout
    Gurlyknockout Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    bumping for later
  • muamontreal
    muamontreal Posts: 109 Member
    Options

I went out of the pit :bigsmile: I was supposed to eat the dreaded 1200 cal a day by MFP, I upped to 1500 and I am still losing but I am not as grumpy, tired and cold all the time ... I did very bad last week so if you check my diairy please don't take it into acount :bigsmile: I am not suuposed to gain any weight till 1800-1900 so when I have a cheat day I don't feel as bad as before...
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options

She was 21 and 4'11".

Doesnt make any sense.

^^ Good advice there!!!

I'm 4'11" 37y/o. SW:159 CW:142

I quickly stalled on 1200 cals per day (I plataued for almost 12 weeks). I slowly increased my daily intake and now I'm at 1400 cal per day and am losing weight again. On days that I lift I easily eat between 1700-1900 cal.

One of the nice things about cyclical dieting, eating high on lift days and low on rest, is that it keeps leptin high all week because of the carb refeeds and higher cals.
    So on lift days you are actually using the nutrients you put in for recovery and its not getting stored as fat.
    If you had say....40% body fat then a pure cut would last a while and you can expect to lose fat while eating at a slight deficit daily.
    The leaner you get the less deficit weekly you need to lose the fat.
    Nice work!
  • cajoso
    Options
    I am!!!! Excersice is a MUST if you want to stay at this level to cancel out those extra ones you'be consumed. Unless you are trying to stay at this level by food consumption only.......*siiiiigh* it's really tough. This has been my goal for a couple months, but i will eat up to 1500/1600 on days I have a great workout.
    Good luck, and let's give eachother ideas!!!
  • jennat79
    Options
    Im on 1200! i cant undertand it though. it keeps telling me that i will put on weight?! Also its coming up as 30 mins running is burning 18 kcals?? huh help anyone im new to this x
  • livestrong65
    livestrong65 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Have been on 1200calories for three weeks, losing 1-1,5 lbs a week. I train 3 times a week, cycling for an hour. With 1200 calories I feel I eat WAY LESS than I did before but not spectacular weight loss. Should I try eating more calories ? Because I heard also that you sometimes dont leoose weight because you dont eat enough?
    I do not eat my exercise calories,leaving at least 300-500.
  • NinjaLydia
    Options
    I have this goal as well! Its so hard. The fist time i did it 2 days ago, i realized I only had 100 calories for dinner, which seriously wasn't going to work! So what ive planned out it:
    BREAKFAST: Porridge (166 calories )
    LUNCH: Apple & Banana (140 calories)
    SNACKS: Bounty-treat! (270) & some fruits or biscuits
    DINNER: Leaves like 600 calories for dinner, which is my Favorite meal of the day!
  • sunnshhiine
    sunnshhiine Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    is anyone on the same goal of 1200 a day like me. could do to buddy up with you and take a peak at your diary for ideas

I was doing 1200 calories a day! I just lowered my daily calorie allowance by 50 calories thought (1150). Feel free to add me on here. I'm a vegetarian. Maybe we could get ideas from each other.
  • deboraherixon
    Options
    I am! Have been for 3 weeks now and have lost 6 lbs. You're welcome to look at it, but I've just found a couple things that I keep doing over and over (progresso soup for lunch or quarter - yes quarter - salad from Old Chicago). I think you can really eat anything ... just in tiny (it feels like it) increments. I have been scanning everything in, and adjusting the portion sizes to meet my goals.
  • Cheryl1018
    Options
    I am at 1210 but am thinking of lowering it to 1200. I seem to be stuck at 11 lbs weight loss.
  • mommyrox05
    Options
    :flowerforyou: When I started about a year and a half ago, I did 1200 cals a day-and had great success, lost the bulk of my weight in 7 months. Still trying to loose that last few pounds and am set at 1310 cals a day. Feel free to add me and check out my diary.