1200 calories a day.

Options

Replies

• Tigermad
    Tigermad Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I have lost 108 lbs. the first 60 or so was on a 1200 cal diet. Then I saw dans road map post and increased to 1500 cals. Since then I have lost the other 48 lbs a little more slowly fluctuating between 1500 and 1700. The problem I have now is loose skin. I know it's mainly genetics but I am convinced if I had not started on such a low number I would have not as much. I obviously lost a lot of muscle along the way but have been lifting heavy for about 8 months now to try and gain some muscle back. I am now 123.5 pounds and 19.5% fat so hopefully I am undoing some of the damage I caused on a vlcd at the start.
  • Belinda658
    Belinda658 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I ate around 1000-1200pd in October while trying to detox from sugar. It seemed to have kicked alot of cravings but the last few weeks I upped my calories and gained 3kg/6pounds. Oh I was on holiday one week and ate A LOT but I suspect my month long not eating enough calories had to do with how much I gained.

I do agree you can eat pretty healthily on 1200 but what about when you want to start maintaining and maybe do more exercise? I'm not saying it's wrong, I just dont know how anyone could do alot of exercise including strength training on 1200 a day.
  • Destanie_Robyn
    Destanie_Robyn Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I have 1330 calories a day plus I exercise so I end up usually consuming around 1500 Add me if you'd like though! I have an open Diary
  • Louise1247
    Louise1247 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    im on 1290 :)
  • saudade108
    Options
    I'm doing 1200 and you can peak at my journal...it's public. Feel free to add me as a friend, as well. :) Also, I haven't been exercising much lately (I need to get better about that, but my baby hasn't been letting me leave her at the gym's kids club so I've been struggling with being able to work out) so I'm not eating back burned calories most days...so my journal is really 1200 cals.
  • darleyschroeder
    Options

Me?
    I'm 5'6" with a BMR of appx 1590 and a TDEE that ranges from 2k-2900 depending on the week and activity.
    I just pinpointed this number after months of testing it out.
    I'm now ready for my winter bulk.
    When I lost my weight I went from 175 down to 135 in about 3-4 months eating between 1600-2200 cals a day and working out 3x a week.

[/quote]

WAIT! You lost 40 pounds in 3-4 months? That is around 3 pounds a week. You were eating at a 1500 calorie deficit per day?? How in the world are you still alive, much less being able to actually function and work a computer when you should be brain dead by now?
    And of course you have zero muscle mass left and will soon gain every pound back.

How very hypocritical of you to attack people who eat at a 500-1000 calorie deficit when you lost your weight at an even higher deficit.

You lose more credibility every time you post.

ETA In case you missed the math, you were NETTING between 100-700 calories per day.
    [/quote]

That's not too terrible. If it was 4 months then that is 10 pounds a month. Men seem to lose quicker and it seems like the dude works out a lot.
  • ponderosakaren
    ponderosakaren Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm on 1200 a day and have lost about 17lbs in the past 9 weeks or so...not struggling with that calorie limit too much so far! I've also had an accident that made full mobility tricky by as I've lost weight these past few weeks I"m able to do more and am now working with a personal trainer who's helping me rehab the knee, get fit and lost some kgs!! I'm older than you are (61 it seems!) and live in New Zealand but if you'd like a buddy let me know! Good luck in any case, cheers, Karen
  • tryclyn
    tryclyn Posts: 2,414 Member
    Options
    This site is also good for a stepping stone toward anorexia. ;-)

Nah, it's just a tool. How you use it is up to you. And like other tools, not everyone uses them as intended or with sense.

No, she was right the first time. I think the mindset of exercising just so you can eat more is potentially dangerous.

And MFP gives so many people 1200 calories because that's their lower limit (and many people input that they want to lose 2 lb/week, so we end up with a lot at the lower limit).

I get what you're saying, I do. But, some people, like my sister and I, use this mainly for the diary and the database of food.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • FluroFaye
    Options
    Okay, I think BEFORE fighting with people like Dan, maybe you should give it a go?

He's not trying to disrespect you...he's trying to let you know that you can eat even more and still lose weight! How is that a bad thing? 1200 cals is not a typically happy diet. Wouldn't you all like an extra 500 cals or so to have a KFC and a good breakfast one day? Or go out to a carvery? Have a pizza?

I suggest taking a look at his page, running your numbers and just TRYING it. It does actually work and I'm better you you will enjoy your lifestyle a lot more <3
  • Kkwalker88
    Kkwalker88 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I'm at a 1200 cal a day and need new ideas also.
  • cassiepv
    cassiepv Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Dan ,
    You can't save the world . However , you have saved many , including me !
    Muah

Hungry people are so mean !
  • leejayem
    leejayem Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I did the 1200 calorie diet for a long time. I have finally come to realize that it is not healthy. Not only are you eating below BMR (your body needs a certain amount of calories to function, why would you want to give it less?), but I found it impossible to eat enough protein. If you don't eat enough protein (you can't go by the mfp settings for protein), you will lose muscle along with fat.

I disagree. A person who has a fair amount of weight to lose (like me) is not in any danger of losing muscle. When you lose weight, the body uses what you eat for fuel & when there's no more available, it begins to use body fat (hey presto - weight loss!!) The body only resorts to using muscle for fuel when the fat reserves are depleted - so when you are at your goal weight your body can take a few more calories. 1200 a day is just fine (working for me!!) unless you're exercising intensely several hours a day.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    I am speaking as a grandmother, 54 years old, who had the mindset of so many people of my generation that we had to starve to be dieting. I did the <1200 cal. a day when I first started with MFP. I've also done the <1200 cal a day diet for years. I have lost and gained the same 35- 40 pounds about 6 times in my adult life. I've gained it back within a year every time and then some. Yes, it does work. BUT, it's a very temporary fix. You can only do this for so long and you burn out and start eating again. If the <1200 calorie diet worked, people my age would not be on this site. We would be thin, healthy and living our lives never even knowing that MFP exists.

I say - live your life, you <1200 calorie a day people. You will still be dieting off and on for the rest of your life. It's not my problem. I am eating 1600 - 1800 calories a day, lifting weights, losing inches & pounds, and feeling AWESOME!!! I've made significant changes to my diet and it's working. What I'm doing now is very sustainable!

The ONLY reason I even bother posting on here is because my mindset was changed by helloitsdan. He's a little snarky, but he knows his stuff. He has nothing to gain from spreading the information around on the forum - he just has a pay it forward attitude. You'd be wise to at least read the road map. It works. :flowerforyou:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I disagree. A person who has a fair amount of weight to lose (like me) is not in any danger of losing muscle. When you lose weight, the body uses what you eat for fuel & when there's no more available, it begins to use body fat (hey presto - weight loss!!) The body only resorts to using muscle for fuel when the fat reserves are depleted - so when you are at your goal weight your body can take a few more calories. 1200 a day is just fine (working for me!!) unless you're exercising intensely several hours a day.

Every time anyone lose weight, they lose some amount of muscle. Even body builders who are doing everything possible to maintain muscle lose a small amount when they do a cut. That's why they do bulk and cut cycles. Similarly, every time we gain weight, we gain some amount of muscle with fat.

How you eat and exercise will determine what percentage of your loss is from fat and what's from muscle. Fuel your body properly and do some resistance training, and you give your body more reason to keep muscle. Eat minimally and do little exercise, and you're going to lose a good chunk of muscle with fat.

It's not the severe muscle wasting that occurs when someone is sick and bedridden, but there's certainly a huge difference between just trying to lose weight and actively trying to maintain muscle while losing fat. I've done it both ways. I got to my goal weight, and I didn't realize I lost muscle when I ate too little. I just thought, "Oh, crap... well, I'm in my 30s. I guess my body isn't meant to be tight and hot anymore."

Thankfully, I kept an open mind while losing this time and paid attention to people like Dan who spoke about eating right, strength training, and all the stuff people want to ignore because they've had "eat less" beaten into their heads.

five-years-later.jpg

These are the size 8 jeans I wore in 2007 and the size 5 jeans I wear now at the about same weight (typically a 2 or 4 in misses).

IMG_3265.jpg
  • evanesco
    Options
    1720 cals a day, losing 1lb a week. Yep, I'm in. By the way, I run 15k a week, walk approx 10 -15k steps a day, including my runs. I haven't even started lifting yet, but 1lb a week on average for 17 weeks, I'll take that. I don't eat clean, far from it. I work in fast food and get fed at work, so 6 days out of 8, I eat fast food. I'm losing bf too, so skinny fat isn't something I'm going to be. I'm looking into serious body recomp after Xmas, I'll probably start bodyweight training again, or even venture into lifting weights. I'm not starving myself on 1200. And I'm not overweight either, I'm 5' 3" and 136lbs. MFP wants me to eat 1200 for 1lb weight loss, but I can eat 1700 and still net 1lb a week weight loss. Why not try it, rather than mocking. You were willing to try 1200.
  • AnikaP81
    AnikaP81 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    MFP put me on 1200 kcal and I've been staying there :) Sent you a request, diary is open.
  • HananYako30
    HananYako30 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I AM DOING 1200 CALORIES A DAY....U CAN ADD ME
  • gabriellejayde
    gabriellejayde Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't you all like an extra 500 cals or so to have a KFC and a good breakfast one day? Or go out to a carvery? Have a pizza?

I suggest taking a look at his page, running your numbers and just TRYING it. It does actually work and I'm better you you will enjoy your lifestyle a lot more <3

KFC? no thanks.
    I agree with Debbie and all the others.
    Some of us are enjoying our lifestyle just fine. I did try eating more calories. For 10 years in fact. it got me up to 255lbs.
    I'm here to lose weight. I wouldn't lose weight eating the amount dan suggests because i'm not as active as he is, as young, and i'm not even as tall as he is.

If I lost weight eating more, as plenty people do, I would eat more. but... i do not.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    Okay, I think BEFORE fighting with people like Dan, maybe you should give it a go?

He's not trying to disrespect you...he's trying to let you know that you can eat even more and still lose weight! How is that a bad thing? 1200 cals is not a typically happy diet. Wouldn't you all like an extra 500 cals or so to have a KFC and a good breakfast one day? Or go out to a carvery? Have a pizza?

Ok Dear, looking at your diary, you are 20 yrs old, and in the past week you had 5 days you ate below 500 calories and 2 binge days where you ate pizza and fried stuff. That is not a healthy diet. That is called an Eating Disorder.
    I would offer to help you to learn how to eat healthier, but since I am not a professional dietician, doctor, or psychiatrist, I will simply suggest you see your doctor for a referral to someone who can help you.

For the rest of you who apparently did NOT read my posts completely. I have RUN my numbers. My calorie level matches up with losing 1-2 pounds per week, which is VERY healthy. I eat very healthy foods 90% of the time, with the occasional treat when I want it. I CANNOT lift heavy, as I have disabling spine and knee injuries. BTW, the knees are trashed in part from when I was leg pressing 360 and doing walking lunges with 125 on my shoulders so I could impress the big boys in the gym. I was 30 then, working a very physical job 40 hrs a week, and spending another 10 hours in the gym. Yes, I could lose weight on 2000 calories at that time. BUT that is NOT my situation now.

My problem with Dan, and so many of the rest of you is that you have decided what works for you, at your age, your weight, your physical condition, should work for everyone else. It doesn't matter what the number is that any of us eat. YOU can not determine the magic number for anyone else but yourself!

In case you missed the sarcasm when I pointed out how quickly Dan lost his weight- I was NOT attacking him for losing 40 pounds in 3-4 months. That is completely fine and healthy in my opinion.

What I was pointing out is that he preaches how horrible it is for other people to lose at that rate. I started with 73 pounds to get me just below the 'overweight' BMI. I could go another 10-20 below that and still be quite healthy. I have lost 23 pounds in just under 3 months, and have another 50 or more to lose. Dan and several of the rest of you have proclaimed that I will ruin my health, lose all my muscle, get weak, and look ugly skinny-fat when I reach goal, because I am doing it all wrong!

I am not hungry, so therefore this is not HANGRY, but simply a bit ANGRY and insulted.

My macros are great. I eat plenty of protein and healthy fats. And if it makes you feel better, I even had a Raspberry Zinger last night!

Why are so many of you threatened by people who simply do not need or want as many calories as you do?

Why do you feel like you have to 'save the world' with your infinite wisdom you have gained from reading internet articles or muscle magazines, or worse, listening to some guy who spouts all of his uneducated wisdom he found on the internet as the gospel, and have raised him up to sainthood status?

I swear as soon as some of you see a thread with 1200 in the title you start foaming at the mouth, "OMG someone is doing it WRONG and I must SAVE THEM from certain death and destruction because I am so smart that I know EVERYTHING about EVERYONE!"

Good Lord, do you not realize that there is an epidemic of obesity in this country?? And they sure as heck didn't get that way from eating 1200 calories a day.

I would never assume to tell anyone that they need to eat like I eat. Especially not someone 30 years younger or older than me.

You eat what is right for you, and I will eat what is right for me, OK?

And aside from this pissed off rant, I am a very happy person who is living a great life, with a wonderful husband, kids and a lot of good friends. I do not go to bed starving or feel like I am missing out on anything due to my diet. I enjoy my 'lifestyle' quite well.

And to those who are concerned with this being sustainable for life, I do not intend to eat at a calorie deficit once I hit my goal weight. When I get closer to my goal, I will start to slowly increase my calories up to 1700 or so til I am at maintenance level, and I will stay there and maintain, quite happily. That is how it works.