Are all these food allergies real?

Options

Replies

• VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    My mom is 45, and she just got diagnosed with Celiac's disease last year, which is an allergy to gluten in the intestines.

A lot of her digestive issues over the years just went undiagnosed because a lot of the tests weren't available until recently to detect these kinds of issues (the right kind of biopsy and blood tests). She had horrible pain after eating for years, and we could never figure out why until recently.

That being said, I think a lot of people confuse an intolerance with a true allergy quite often. I think there are multiple reasons for why we seem to be hearing more about it now. In the case of my mom, it was better diagnosis procedures. In many other cases, it's confusion with a sensitivity on intolerance. In some others, it's just people trying to make things too hard.
  • Simone_King
    Simone_King Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I grew up loving milk. On many different KINDS of milk. I love, to this day, German milk. (tastes different.)

However, once I turned 16 I found that American milk tastes..different. It doesn't tastes the same. Than I found it upset my stomach. I am not SURE why this is.

I sure don't have a problem a problem with any other kind of foods..(Does Chilly cound? xD)

As to the other question? Frankly, I think everyone is becoming over protective and making eveyone BELEIVE they have an allagy to something.

Does this also have to do with how food is processed? Maybe I love home made bread personally.
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    Total conspiracy... more and more people are getting together in groups, starting in childhood especially and just making up allergies and intolerances to inconvenience everyone else or to "get attention" because there's no other way to get attention. Sounds legit.
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    I didn't read all the responses, so I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet.

One hypothesis is that we're using too many antibiotics and antimicrobials, essentially being too clean. Our immune systems are made to attack things, and we're not exposing them to as many germs so they can learn good from bad and they end up attacking harmless things.

Think about this. Babies naturally want to put everything in their mouth, and the parents always stop them because it's gross or dirty. But this instinct wouldn't have evolved if this was detrimental to survival. And this next thing is really disgusting, but babies who are born naturally tend to be healthier than babies who were born by cesarean. This is because after the baby is born, the mother poops on the baby, providing it with healthy bacteria for it's immune system. And don't forget about the immune system benefits of breastfeeding. Gross, but true!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I didn't spend the time reading through other responses, I apologize. That said, there have been people in my family going back to my mom's generation with food allergies. My mom actually has trouble breathing from her egg allergy. My uncle and his kids got eczema from a milk allergy. I got hives from a few things when I was a kid that don't bother me anymore. My son is allergic to milk and eggs and gets hives from it. I truly think my family is an abnormal that we knew about our food allergies as long as we did. I really just think that in the past people just said, "oops, _____ gives my kid hives or a rash so we just won't have him/her eat that." I truly believe there were just as many people with food allergies, it just went undiagnosed b/c people didn't make a big deal about it. If my son's allergist knew that we gave him stuff made with milk and eggs she would probably lose it. We do not give him things where milk or eggs are the main ingredient, but we feel like as long as he doesn't have a reaction why not.
  • Rodentranger
    Options
    My son was gluten,dairy, soy and fructose intolerant for his first two years. My research suggested that part of the increase in allergies is an increase in antibiotics and antibacterial agents in our society. Third world countries don't have the rate of any allergies that we see, and the thought is that it's because their immune systems have legitimate threats to deal with. Our don't as much because we sterilize everything with antibacterial hand sanitizer, antibacterial soap for everything, and antibiotics being over prescribed.
    We quit using antibacterial soap in our house. My son can eat gluten, dairy, soy and fructose...but not eggs.
  • msbunnie68
    msbunnie68 Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I think there is a rise in awareness. When we were younger and you ate a food that made you feel awful you just didn't eat it anymore.

I've been allergic (yes truly allergic) to shellfish all my life. Projectile vomiting, facial swelling, closing airways type of reaction. My body says NO and tries to eject the food violently and then reacts violently as the bit of it that has gone through digestion (and not been ejected by foul means) goes through my bloodstream and that triggers the last and joyous act of toilet sitting.

Sore tummies and feeling off/windy/bloated is an intolerance.
  • Lisar97
    Lisar97 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I haven't been able to breathe through my nose for almost 7 years now which has led to minimal sleep and low energy. It was suggested by a chiropractor of all people that I am sensitive to corn products and casein among a long list of other things. He suggested I cut my intake of corn and casein by 50% and guaranteed I would feel much better. I thought it was total BS but thought I'd give it a try to see. There is certainly no harm in eating healthy. I have decreased my intake significantly (probably much more than 50%) and I would say I am about 80% better. While I like feeling better, I kind of wish he was wrong because there is hardly anything that I can eat now. I can take in a limited level of some of these ingredients but I am not clear as to how much I can tolerate yet. I have been doing this for 2 months so far so I guess it will take a while to really understand. So, I'd have to say it is real. While I don't have an allergy but rather a tolerance issue, it has gotten worse over the years and has made me rather miserable and has impacted the quality of my life.
  • BonnieandClyde29
    BonnieandClyde29 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    People really are allergic to certain foods...i've seen a couple of almost life threatning incidents because of food allergies, however i have also seen a lot of BS.....At work i had a guest say that the countertops needs to be extra clean because if she (not eats it) but touches it and it has peanuts on it she could die....i'm like really? Now thats a load of **** and not what an actual food allergy is...smh....the food has changed a lot though from being a kid, so it could be going either way....it took me until i was 14-15 just to "develop", and now i'm seeing more and more 12 year olds have bigger girls than me!!! (and thats a D right there!!!)....so basically it could go either way, but people are pansy *kitten*!!! lol
  • Jongfaith
    Options
    There is a video on youtube about this topic. A woman corralates it all to the pesticides and dna changes our food sources have under gone. The US is the only country who allows people to eat these things and since the 80s when these changes appeared food allergies, intolerances, and cancer is higher here than anywhere else. Could be a coincidence but I think not.

Sadly I do not eat all organically. Wish I could and did however my food budget is currently $50 a month sigh.

heres the link. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rixyrCNVVGA&feature=youtu.be
  • tearsinger
    tearsinger Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    As far as allergies (to foods, medications, bee stings, what have you) go, developed countries have a much higher incidence than underdeveloped countries. The theory is that people in other countries are exposed to a lot of agents that we are not exposed to. Many parasites, bacteria and other microorganisms are commonly encountered there, but have been mostly eradicated from developed countries like the US. Because we are so sterile and rarely encounter foreign things, our immune systems are overly sensitive and often mount either an allergic or an autoimmune response to innocuous substances. People in underdeveloped countries rarely get allergies or autoimmune disorders, and this is why immunologists believe so.

However, most people who say they have food allergies are actually intolerant, not allergic. I don't really know the physiology behind that as well, but I do know that our bodies can produce antibodies to certain food products, or people can be deficient in certain enzymes needed to metabolize the products, hence the upset stomach, bloating etc. accompanying the food.

Edited to add: Bottom line is immunizations, antibiotics, better hygiene and a generally sterile environment in developed countries could be major contributing factors to the increase in allergies.

One of the things we are missing in thinking about developed countries vs undeveloped countries is how well are records being kept for medical care in countries were people don't see doctors regularly. If a kid has a life threatening allergy in a developing country and has no access to a doctor or hospital -- likelihood says the kid dies when exposed. If someone has celiacs disease in a developing country they just fail to thrive, lose weight, get sick and stay sick. Access to preventive medical care now compared to two generations ago, and in developed countries vs not developed countries is what makes the rate of incidence higher.

I do think some people say allergy, when they mean 'I want attention', but that doesn't mean better detection doesn't lead to more incidents of food allergies being found It also doesn't mean that food allergies shouldn't be taken very seriously.

Also we have the internet and more than regional TV now, so you hear about a might wider variety of stuff like gluten free, that you wouldn't have known about unless someone in your family or neighborhood had it.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    It seems insane that in the last few years, everyone is allergic to something. The big thing now is gluten. But, WTF is going on? When I was a kid, no one had any problems (OK, in my whole enitre childhood, there was this one kid that was alergic to peanuts, but that was it). Now, all of the sudden, everyone has some issue with wheat, gluten, dairy, etc....the list goes on. Am I insane? Or, is something happening out there? Aleins perhaps? How have we all survived the past few thousand years? I feel like something is wrong, or people are just being pansies. What's the deal? I'm not looking for smart-*kitten* remarks, I'm looking to be educated. Is there some food epidemic or something? Why is all this stuff suddenly a problem for everyone?

I'm not talking about diets, I'm talking about real food problems.

As an example, someone I know stopped eating gluten and says he fels so much better. But, that's totally not scientific. I keep asking if something was wrong or what? He just said he was having "issues" (of course, it's undefined), and he stopped eating gluten and now he feels good. But, to me, that's not a real issue. Since his problem isn't well defined, and because he doesn't really know if it was the gluten, or if it's something else. So, this is kind of what I mean. People self-diagnose, but is the problem real. Ya know?

When my son was young, the doctor told us he might be lactose intolerant. So, now his mom keeps telling him that, and he believes it, but he's never been tested. It's this kind of BS that I'm talking about. He is growing up thinking he is actually lactose intolerant, but has absolutely not one shred of evidence. I call BS, and serve him ice cream, and he eats it with no problem. This is what I'm talking about.

People are making this stuff up. I know not in all cases, but as I look around, many people are making it up, but it's not real. But, more and more there are more people saying they have some kind of allergy or intolerance, or whatever to something.

Are there studies about what's going on?

The naturopaths have known about this problem for some time. As a people, we have VERY poor gut health. We do not eat food right from the garden or the orchard with just a rinse (like our ancestors did). Because of that, we don't get the soil bacteria necessary to establish a matrix for the acidophilus bacteria (the good bacteria) to colonize the intestines---and it just goes downhill from there. We eat way too many highly processed foods---especially starches and sugars. It causes the already bacteria-impoverished gut to be overrun with yeasts and other undesirable organisms. Yeast in particular are ugly in their habits as, at a mature colony stage, they start putting out little stringy things called "filaria" (in a healthy gut, acidophilus bacteria keep the yeasts in check). These filaria can perforate the gut wall and spill some molecules of food into the blood stream--and, since your blood stream was NOT meant to carry ANY molecules of food unprocessed by the digestive system, the immune system goes to town trying to destroy the "alien invaders" and says to itself, I will always react to these "aliens" by inflaming the intestine, and then passing inflammatory cytokines (an immune system defense) into the bloodstream. And a food allergy (or intolerance if it is a milder reaction) is thus born. That is why squalene in vaccines is such a serious issue. Squalene is a fraction of vegetable oil. In a healthy gut, it doesn't do any harm, but introduce it into your blood stream with a vaccine and you've got trouble.

There is also a problem with modern wheats (there isn't just one kind) in that they have been specifically bred to have a high gluten content. The human gut is not particularly good at digesting gluten. We can handle it in small amounts but we eat a large amount of wheat in the typical American diet. In addition, because of the "fast rise" method of modern commercial bakeries, much of the gluten that could be converted into more digestible substances, passes right through to the finished bread. In the old days, mama (when the women of the house made the bread) would use a slow rise method that has been used for centuries to raise the bread---and they would often use a bacterial process (sourdough) rather than yeast. They used the older forms of wheat with its lower gluten content, and the slower rising meant that much more of the gluten that was there was converted by the bacteria or yeast into more digestible substances. All of these facts add up to a lot of digestive problems. Undigested gluten enters the large intestine and bacteria there digest it but food is not supposed to be digested in the large bowel---it is supposed to be digested before it gets there. So gas, bloating (from bacterial processes in the colon) etc. is the result.

When you add to all these problems, the heavy load of chemicals that we get (pesticides, herbicides, additives of one sort or another) it is a wonder that even more people are not ill with these kinds of problems.:sick:
  • Mootpoint
    Mootpoint Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Oh, yes indeedy, food allergies do appear to be on the rise; but as someone stated earlier I think it's due to us all being more aware.
    I do have very bad reactions to certain foods - especially dairy (one of the reasons for my veganism;-) ) but in a restaurant if asked I will always say 'vegan' first, rather than allergic/intolerant.

Eggs (after roughly 5 to 10 mins) in anything would result in a hospital visit, cheese would equal an immediate and prolonged migraine, cow's milk would result in throat closure within three to five minutes after ingestion and for some weird reason, as a child anchovies gave me a rash that looked as though measles had visited - and lucozade (remember that one?) would result in instant vomiting . . . and those last two are from the 'seventies ;-). Then again, my sister has asthma and is allergic to several types of grass/plant so the allergies/intolerances are definitely there - it's simply that most people are more aware AND that the reactions of others are not what they would have been twenty or thirty years ago . . .
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    If eating something caused your whole body to break out in large, intolerably itchy welts you would not be questioning this and you would see how illogical and ignorant it is when people that do not have allergies complain about other people's allergies (it has no bearing on your life). It's not being a pansy to not want to be covered in itchy welts (they itch and they are not good looking and it's difficult to sleep when you wake up itching non-stop).

Yes, there has been an increase in allergies and it is not scientifically understood why yet. There has also been an increase in autism and that is not scientifically understood why either (are the autistic kids faking it, no). There are lots of things like that. People will try to give you answers, but it's just a stab in the dark at this point (like when people incorrectly correlated autism to vaccines).
  • Nikiki
    Nikiki Posts: 993
    Options
    I think the explosion in IVF and that ilk is helping keep genetic codes surviving when they should be dying out. You have a couple who can't get pregnant via intercourse, so they spend $$$ to get his sperm and her eggs mixed in a dish and implanted in a uterus to have the kid(s) they've wanted. I'm not bashing on IVF, just pointing out that maybe people who can't get pregnant "naturally" shouldn't muck around.

*awaits flaming*

bahahahaha ok I was JUST having this conversation with someone (it stemmed from me saying I don't want kids even though I'm fairly certain given my sister & my inlaws that I probably would have no trouble getting pregnant, and then discussing why some people don't adopt rather than pay all that money to try and get pregnant) I mean I guess if you have the money and you want a kid that bad I guess go for it but you have to wonder if maybe there's a reason. And not saying that that person is a terrible person or anything but maybe there was something that shouldn't have been carried on. For example one of my favorite customers at work was a carrier for sickle cell anemia and so is his wife, they tried for YEARS to have a baby (I don't believe they went the IVF route, but there were fertility treatments and several miscarriages) and their son (because both parents were carriers and didn't know it) has sickle cell anemia. Now that boy is sweet and loving and very intelligent but he spends probably a combined 2 months a year in the hospital and another 2-3 in bed sick because of his disease. Had the parent's been tested prior to putting all that effort into having him I wonder if they would have had him.

as for my 2 cents: I believe that while there are legitimate food allergies and mental disorders like ADD and some people just have them (ADD runs in my family back several generations to before it was actually a thing) there are also a LOT of misdiagnosed people. For example I a have a friend who decided the reason she gained weight in her stomach (a mother of two aged 45) and had trouble losing it was because she was gluten intolerant. She is NOT allergic, and does NOT have celiac, she got herself tested by several doctors before finding a chiropractor who told her she was gluten intolerant and oh by the way really needed to take the supplements he was selling and buy the "lifestyle change" book and have his chiropractic procedures done to her. Phase 1 of his book was a "detox" during which you "rid your body of all of the toxins and gluten that have built up over time" during this phase you must eat only organic fish & chicken and only eat from his list of cleansing vegetables (I did the math, it amounted to about 900-1100 calories per day of fish, chicken & veggies, no fruit,no dairy, no wheat, no sugar, no caffeine, and only 2 tbs of approved oils and one serving of nuts). And oh by the way if you'd like to buy this wonderful cookbook it has all of the Phase 1 recipes! And to help here is a fabulous detoxing tea you can buy! and this green smoothie! and these Vitamins!
    During the two weeks of Phase 1 she lost an incredible 7 lbs! She looked great! OBVIOUSLY this whole time she has been poisoning herself which the toxic gluten! Her beliefs were confirmed and she was on the road living a full complete life with a new shot at youth now that the evil gluten was gone from her diet. (she has now moved on to promoting Zija and recently announced on Facebook that the reason that crazy guy in Colorado shot up that movie theater and that Sandusky molested those kids at Penn State was because of a build of of toxins in their guts from eating gluten & the dyes, pesticides and hormones in their foods).

I think the problem is multi-faceted. I think on one hand people are becoming more aware of what they eat and its effect on their bodies, I think ABSOLUTELY the obsessive need to sanitize everything is creating generations of kids who's immune systems are not going to be able to handle it when something like the swine flu really does reach epidemic proportions. I think people really really want a reason to blame for their lack of control of their bodies and if that reason comes with a silver bullet, whatever the price, they're willing to pay for it. I think its become almost trendy to have an "intolerance" to something. I know the foods we eat are not the foods our grandaddies ate and I'm scared that all the messing around big corporations are doing to their foods is going to go wrong and we're going to wind up in a bad place. I unfortunately do not think anything is going to change any time soon though, too many corrupt people are in positions of power where they can cover things up rather than miss out on a quick profit.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    First, there is a difference between an 'allergy' and an 'intolerance'. People can be intolerant to something, but not allergic. Basically they're body doesn't handle a particular food well, so they feel sick when they eat it. That doesn't make it a true allergy.

On to true allergies. Yes, it's real. Yes, the incidence has increased. No, we don't know why. Lots of theories exist. It could be that many people delay solid food these days due to recommendations to breast feed exclusively for 6 months minimum. It could be that our food is more processed than it used to be and that is causing issues. Or how we process it. Or that people eat a greater variety of food now and are more likely to encounter an allergy than they used to be.

If you can come up with the answer, you'd be rich.

The reason why it is a good idea to exclusively breast feed an infant for up to one year is that many a food allergy or intolerance takes root in the first year because the infant's incomplete digestive system is not ready to digest anything but breast milk until it matures (anywhere from 9 months to a year). They used to start giving infant's cereal at 3 months and didn't understand that wheat, in particular, (but other grains as well) was a digestive problem for a three-month old infant. Pediatricians used to say that whatever you feed an infant in the first year is that which he or she is likely to become intolerant or allergic. Now, they urge women to breastfeed exclusively for the first year and avoid cow's milk (as that is one of the most common allergies). Other typical foods that trigger problems are wheat, eggs, citrus, and tomatoes. I remember being told that I could feed my 8 month old nephew lasagne at a wedding once. Startled, I questioned my sister-in-law about it and she said, "I have been feeding him pasta since he was three months old---it is really not a problem!" He is now allergic to tomatoes, cow's milk and wheat. A connection? Many naturopaths would say yes.
  • Nikiki
    Nikiki Posts: 993
    Options
    Totally personal opinion, but I think we've trashed our immune systems until they react to everything under the sun because they're not exposed to anything to build them in early childhood.

When I was a kid (back when dinosaurs roamed the earth) we played outside, dropped our cookies in the dirt and ate 'em, crawled around floors that were not disinfected to within an inch of their lives. I teethed on my Dad's tobacco pouch. Our immune systems got exposure and became robust. I have friends now who make us use hand-sanitizer before we can hold their baby.

and this^^^
    we need to get sick, our immune system needs to build up

absolutely! my husband and I both had parents with similar "you're not that sick, go to school" mindsets. we played outside, ate outside ect... and while I do remember getting colds & having tonsillitis a lot as a kid now that I'm grown I pretty much never miss work from being sick, I get the flu maybe once every 4-5 years and I never get the shot. over sanitizing everything is not healthy at all!
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    It seems insane that in the last few years, everyone is allergic to something. The big thing now is gluten. But, WTF is going on? When I was a kid, no one had any problems (OK, in my whole enitre childhood, there was this one kid that was alergic to peanuts, but that was it). Now, all of the sudden, everyone has some issue with wheat, gluten, dairy, etc....the list goes on. Am I insane? Or, is something happening out there? Aleins perhaps? How have we all survived the past few thousand years? I feel like something is wrong, or people are just being pansies. What's the deal? I'm not looking for smart-*kitten* remarks, I'm looking to be educated. Is there some food epidemic or something? Why is all this stuff suddenly a problem for everyone?

I'm not talking about diets, I'm talking about real food problems.

As an example, someone I know stopped eating gluten and says he fels so much better. But, that's totally not scientific. I keep asking if something was wrong or what? He just said he was having "issues" (of course, it's undefined), and he stopped eating gluten and now he feels good. But, to me, that's not a real issue. Since his problem isn't well defined, and because he doesn't really know if it was the gluten, or if it's something else. So, this is kind of what I mean. People self-diagnose, but is the problem real. Ya know?

When my son was young, the doctor told us he might be lactose intolerant. So, now his mom keeps telling him that, and he believes it, but he's never been tested. It's this kind of BS that I'm talking about. He is growing up thinking he is actually lactose intolerant, but has absolutely not one shred of evidence. I call BS, and serve him ice cream, and he eats it with no problem. This is what I'm talking about.

People are making this stuff up. I know not in all cases, but as I look around, many people are making it up, but it's not real. But, more and more there are more people saying they have some kind of allergy or intolerance, or whatever to something.

Are there studies about what's going on?

The naturopaths have known about this problem for some time. As a people, we have VERY poor gut health. We do not eat food right from the garden or the orchard with just a rinse (like our ancestors did). Because of that, we don't get the soil bacteria necessary to establish a matrix for the acidophilus bacteria (the good bacteria) to colonize the intestines---and it just goes downhill from there. We eat way too many highly processed foods---especially starches and sugars. It causes the already bacteria-impoverished gut to be overrun with yeasts and other undesirable organisms. Yeast in particular are ugly in their habits as, at a mature colony stage, they start putting out little stringy things called "filaria" (in a healthy gut, acidophilus bacteria keep the yeasts in check). These filaria can perforate the gut wall and spill some molecules of food into the blood stream--and, since your blood stream was NOT meant to carry ANY molecules of food unprocessed by the digestive system, the immune system goes to town trying to destroy the "alien invaders" and says to itself, I will always react to these "aliens" by inflaming the intestine, and then passing inflammatory cytokines (an immune system defense) into the bloodstream. And a food allergy (or intolerance if it is a milder reaction) is thus born. That is why squalene in vaccines is such a serious issue. Squalene is a fraction of vegetable oil. In a healthy gut, it doesn't do any harm, but introduce it into your blood stream with a vaccine and you've got trouble.

There is also a problem with modern wheats (there isn't just one kind) in that they have been specifically bred to have a high gluten content. The human gut is not particularly good at digesting gluten. We can handle it in small amounts but we eat a large amount of wheat in the typical American diet. In addition, because of the "fast rise" method of modern commercial bakeries, much of the gluten that could be converted into more digestible substances, passes right through to the finished bread. In the old days, mama (when the women of the house made the bread) would use a slow rise method that has been used for centuries to raise the bread---and they would often use a bacterial process (sourdough) rather than yeast. They used the older forms of wheat with its lower gluten content, and the slower rising meant that much more of the gluten that was there was converted by the bacteria or yeast into more digestible substances. All of these facts add up to a lot of digestive problems. Undigested gluten enters the large intestine and bacteria there digest it but food is not supposed to be digested in the large bowel---it is supposed to be digested before it gets there. So gas, bloating (from bacterial processes in the colon) etc. is the result.

When you add to all these problems, the heavy load of chemicals that we get (pesticides, herbicides, additives of one sort or another) it is a wonder that even more people are not ill with these kinds of problems.:sick:

Love this post!! :heart: :heart:
  • brainfreeze72
    brainfreeze72 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    My son was lactose intolerant as an infant. We tried milk at 1 year old and he had a violent reaction to it so it was back on the lactose free stuff for another year. As a child he could eventually have dairy but in limited quantities or he would have a reaction, mostly gastrointestinal. At 19 now he's fine.

My oldest daughter is 23 and a couple years ago tried telling me she was allergic to mushrooms! She has NEVER been allergic to mushrooms. I don't LIKE mushrooms but it's a texture thing not a flavor thing so if they're chopped up small and I don't have to chew them I'm fine. We've always had mushrooms in things and she has never had any kind of reaction.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Totally personal opinion, but I think we've trashed our immune systems until they react to everything under the sun because they're not exposed to anything to build them in early childhood.

When I was a kid (back when dinosaurs roamed the earth) we played outside, dropped our cookies in the dirt and ate 'em, crawled around floors that were not disinfected to within an inch of their lives. I teethed on my Dad's tobacco pouch. Our immune systems got exposure and became robust. I have friends now who make us use hand-sanitizer before we can hold their baby.

and this^^^
    we need to get sick, our immune system needs to build up

absolutely! my husband and I both had parents with similar "you're not that sick, go to school" mindsets. we played outside, ate outside ect... and while I do remember getting colds & having tonsillitis a lot as a kid now that I'm grown I pretty much never miss work from being sick, I get the flu maybe once every 4-5 years and I never get the shot. over sanitizing everything is not healthy at all!

It actually used to be that whenever kids got sick they gave antibiotics, and now we have antibiotic resistant bacteria. But, now we never take antibiotics and we all recover and survive without them (except for when we get strep throat or something). People tend to romanticize the past a lot. But, my kids play outside in the dirt with sticks and we don't have video games and what-not.