If You're Going to Add Something to the Database ...

Options

Replies

• jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    ETA: I also wish the recipe creator would allow you to enter the servings as a unit size(cups,grams, etc) rather than number of people it serves. It's difficult to know how many 'servings' I'm going to get out of a pot of Gumbo. But if I could measure out the number of cups it makes, It would be easier to keep track of. My "serving" may not be the same size as my partner's "serving". Difficult to say what portion of a "serving" I've had if I don't know the measurement of that 'serving'.

Here's my workaround for that, especially for soups, stews, gumbo, etc - I measure the whole batch in cups after it's finished. Then I use the # of total cups as the number of people the whole batch serves. I have a lot of things measured like that, so I automatically know that one serving = one cup. If I eat a cup and a half or two cups of something, then I can adjust and log 1.5 servings or whatever.

To measure the large batch is going to dirty up more dishes, but it's the most accurate way I've found to do it. It goes faster if you have a 4-cup measuring cup.

Thanks, I guess I can include in my recipe name, the unit measure in case I forget.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Is it bad that I'm more upset when people spell things incorrectly?

:laugh:

Mama always said, if you take the time to do something, do it right!
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I hate when you see something and it just has calories, but no fat/carbs/sodium/protein and people USE these. Wow, your 4 slices of pizza had NO fat in them? Amazing.
  • dena789
    dena789 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    What bugs me more is coming across personalized ones... like "jack's shrimp stir-fry" or "lucy's 2 egg omelet". Why aren't people using the recipe function for stuff like this instead of cluttering up the database??

Have you ever come across the "deleteds"?? If you search the database for "delete or deleted" you get a whole slew of entries where people have decided, for whatever reason, to try to cancel the entry but those entries don't ever just go away. Now, if I need to enter something, I pick one of the "deleted" entries and edit it to the food I want to add to the database. Just my little part in trying to do some clean-up.
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    What bugs me more is coming across personalized ones... like "jack's shrimp stir-fry" or "lucy's 2 egg omelet". Why aren't people using the recipe function for stuff like this instead of cluttering up the database??

I've done this, but because both my husband and I use the site and when I cook it's faster for him to log if it's in the database than for him to enter the recipe in as well.
  • EnchantedEvening
    EnchantedEvening Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    The thing that drives me up a wall is when all that is listed for serving size is in an amount (10 pieces, 1/2 cup, etc) and not a weight. I don't care if the weight is in ounces, grams, etc, I can do the conversion. But for those of us that weigh our foods, it's frustrating! If I ate 42 grams of rice, how many cups is that?

http://allrecipes.com/howto/cup-to-gram-conversions/
  • BrienBear
    BrienBear Posts: 12 Member
    Options

I do this too because I use the site, my partner uses the site AND my best friend uses the site. If I make dinner for the 3 of us, they don't have to do the recipe on their own, I've got it in there for them. :)
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I try & always check against the nutrition panels - so often things are way out of kilter. I know some might be because they are made for different countries - I have seen things like Aust or NZ or US so people are entering their own country's version.

Spelling something incorrectly on purpose, eg cheesse you get lots of material to edit if you have nothing better to do :laugh: I just imagine these people thinking "I'm sure I put that in the database - where is it" - because they mis-spelt the name in the first place! :bigsmile:
  • Laoch_Cailin
    Laoch_Cailin Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I had to edit something in the database today. Toufayan gluten free wraps were entered as having 119 calories each. The packaging of this product clearly says it has 110. I realize 9 calories is not a big deal, but how many other things are off by that much?

ETA: I also wish the recipe creator would allow you to enter the servings as a unit size(cups,grams, etc) rather than number of people it serves. It's difficult to know how many 'servings' I'm going to get out of a pot of Gumbo. But if I could measure out the number of cups it makes, It would be easier to keep track of. My "serving" may not be the same size as my partner's "serving". Difficult to say what portion of a "serving" I've had if I don't know the measurement of that 'serving'.

I just 'pretend' it says cup size and not servings. Could you not do that. If the recipy has 10 cups just say that 1 cup is 1 serving and so on
  • SueGeer
    SueGeer Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I had to edit something in the database today. Toufayan gluten free wraps were entered as having 119 calories each. The packaging of this product clearly says it has 110. I realize 9 calories is not a big deal, but how many other things are off by that much?

I just 'pretend' it says cup size and not servings. Could you not do that. If the recipy has 10 cups just say that 1 cup is 1 serving and so on

We don't use cups here......would be good if everything had oz/g option too. How much is a cup anyway???
  • Laoch_Cailin
    Laoch_Cailin Posts: 414 Member
    Options

We don't use cups here......would be good if everything had oz/g option too. How much is a cup anyway???

Most things in Ireland are in grammes. I just put what I use into the database in grammes. But you can use converters in google to figure out cups and things :-)
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    I purposely enter random stuff. This crowd-sourced data is of such poor quality that I am actually doing you a service. Only when the data becomes so useless that they actually create a realistic quality control process will the site really serve us. So each day I add one random food element like generic banana - 313 cal or stomach lint sandwhich 313 cal or toe jam soup 313 cal.

Haters gonna hate.

Oh, and I use the metric system. :sick:

(i'm kidding, excpet for the metric sytem stuff. GET A REAL UNIT, UNIT!)
  • TiffersStr1
    TiffersStr1 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    If I have to add to the database it's usually one of my own recipes.. And if I find something on it that doesn't match the label then I just keep looking for the entry that does match. (I sure hope this is all spelled correctly):laugh:
  • wrevhn
    wrevhn Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I agree! I added something once and the sodium was obscene! I looked it up, it was incorrect. It's kinda annoying. Esp if ppl have confirmed it despite.
  • What an eye opener this was. I had no idea the database had so many errors and omissions. I guess I have been naive but I thought if I avoided those database entries that were obviously personalized food items I was getting 'official' complete information in my daily food diary. In future I will create my own private food list. Thank you for opening my eyes.
  • wildapril
    wildapril Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Don't tell me what to do!

I log 500 calories for half of a large pizza because it makes my numbers look better.

I just log it as a vegetable because that's way healthier. It tricks your body into treating it like salad!
  • pixtotts
    pixtotts Posts: 552 Member
    Options

:o! then what do you drink from?! (i dont mean that in the way it sounds... it just made me giggle when you said "we dont use cups")

an average sized glass - 250ml 8fl oz... a cup - 250 ml... although to the none cup users (uk here so i only researched them because 99% of the recipes i found online were in cups ggrr!) they sound like some weird and wonderful thing they are literally just a cup...
    x
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    I like to falsely log calories then blame other people for why I'm not losing. Dont try to change me.
  • PennStateChick
    PennStateChick Posts: 327 Member
    Options

I just do it by cups. For instance, if I make chili and get 16 cups from my recipes, I put it what it serves 16 people. If I take 1 cup, I select 1 serving. If I take 2 cups, then I select 2 servings. The nice thing about this is is doesn't have to be just cups. Sometimes I just count servings by number of the ladel scoops. 1 ladel = 1 serving. Then same as cups, if I take 1 ladel then I chose 1 serving, 2 ladels 2 servings, and so on. Just because its labelled number of people its served, doesn't mean you have to enter that. I also make my own peanut butter. Its in by "per tablespoon" and the recipe label is "Homemade PB 1 Tbsp."
  • Antlady69
    Antlady69 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    ETA: I also wish the recipe creator would allow you to enter the servings as a unit size (cups,grams, etc) rather than number of people it serves. It's difficult to know how many 'servings' I'm going to get out of a pot of Gumbo. But if I could measure out the number of cups it makes, It would be easier to keep track of. My "serving" may not be the same size as my partner's "serving". Difficult to say what portion of a "serving" I've had if I don't know the measurement of that 'serving'.

This.

Also, I've added things to the database but some of the information simply isn't available (for example, trans fats and unsaturated fats are usually not listed where I live).