If You're Going to Add Something to the Database ...

Options

Replies

• BritneysStuntDouble
    Options
    If you search "Lisa" there are countless "Lisa's Home made __ " That is what really bugs me. Why not just add it to their own inventory of recipes, and not the public data base. Someone should find this Lisa person, and tell her to knock it off.
    1258057_o.gif
  • lisasdoinit
    lisasdoinit Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    If you search "Lisa" there are countless "Lisa's Home made __ " That is what really bugs me. Why not just add it to their own inventory of recipes, and not the public data base. Someone should find this Lisa person, and tell her to knock it off.

Um...it's not me:)
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I share your frustration. An 6 oz ribeye steak for only 160 calories? Yeah, I think not. Also, it would be nice if people would NOT share their own personal recipes and if people would search for foods in different ways before adding it again. There are often numerous entries for the same product.

I love the database and I love that we can add foods to it ; however, because of all the mistakes, redundancy, and personal recipes it is VERY frustrating to search through.
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, I add entries with lower-than-accurate calorie counts, or edit existing entries to lower the calorie counts? Why? It helps me keep my intake below my goal, and feel better about myself. it also prevents my friends from getting on my back about going over my calorie goals.

:angry:
    NOW it makes sense!
  • pickledginger
    Options
    Dear recipe sharers:
    Instead of adding your recipe to the database as a food, perhaps you might consider adding it to the shared Recipe database as a recipe???
    Thanks!
  • Dementedllama
    Dementedllama Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Aye Freaki'n men to that.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    I only enter calories if a food isn't already in the database as that's all I count. If other people are interested in the other values, they can enter it. If everyone contributes then it will all be there in the end. I do correct values when they are wrong. Yesterday I changed one that said 101 calories to 34 because that's what the packet said.

If you are entering in a DATABASE that everyone uses then you should enter ALL the information. Otherwise, just use your own food and recipes entries. Also, were you careful that the packet you were comparing to was exactly the same product and the SAME SIZE?
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I agree with the original post. However, the devils advocate in me says that sometimes the entered data was correct (at the time) but was changed later by the manufacturer. I have noticed this to be the case on several occasions. For example Snickers recently lowered the number of calories in each candy bay (both regular and king size)
  • pickledginger
    Options
    Sometimes, I add entries with lower-than-accurate calorie counts, or edit existing entries to lower the calorie counts? Why? It helps me keep my intake below my goal, and feel better about myself. it also prevents my friends from getting on my back about going over my calorie goals.
    If you felt the need to lie about your intake, couldn't you please just adjust your portion size instead???
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    What bugs me more is coming across personalized ones... like "jack's shrimp stir-fry" or "lucy's 2 egg omelet". Why aren't people using the recipe function for stuff like this instead of cluttering up the database??

I've done this, but because both my husband and I use the site and when I cook it's faster for him to log if it's in the database than for him to enter the recipe in as well.

Please, find another way.
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    Sometimes if its that there is actually incorrect info it might be that the product has actually changed. Bugs me more when people don't fill all of the nutritional info out. Fine if you don't care how much protein is in your food, but don't click to share with the database unless you have filled out all the info.
  • DoomCakes
    DoomCakes Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Aww... so I guess my cookies can't have one calorie in it no matter how badly I wish they did.

In all seriousness though, I hate it too. I want to know exactly what I'm eating, and I don't always have time to check to the labels. But I do have common sense... if something has bread in it I'm not expecting it to be 10 calories.

I also agree that it's frustrating when people add "____'s stir fry"
  • arlenem1974
    arlenem1974 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I agree any time I cant find what I'm eating and I do have all the info I put it in Cals, Carbos, Fiber ...
  • msbunnie68
    msbunnie68 Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options

ETA: I also wish the recipe creator would allow you to enter the servings as a unit size(cups,grams, etc) rather than number of people it serves. It's difficult to know how many 'servings' I'm going to get out of a pot of Gumbo. But if I could measure out the number of cups it makes, It would be easier to keep track of. My "serving" may not be the same size as my partner's "serving". Difficult to say what portion of a "serving" I've had if I don't know the measurement of that 'serving'.

Thank you!! So glad I am not the only one with that issue!! Do you know how many times i've made something, then had to measure out 1/2 cup by 4 people, and if there's anything left over add a 1/8 of a cup etc etc to know what the measurement is if i were to theoretically serve X to 4 people? Most of the time I don't..which probably explains a lot lol!

Unless you and your partner are both doing MPF then the only serving size you need to enter is how many servings your recipe would make if you were going to be the only one eating it. It doesn't matter how much your partner or your son or uncle Joe will eat. For example, when I make a meal and put it in my reciper builder, I look at the amount it makes and say a serve of that FOR ME would be, say, 1/6 or 1/8 or 1/10... so then I put in the serves section 6 or 8 or 10. It doesn' matter how many people it actually serves, just how many serves it would be FOR YOU.

If you are entering a recipe straight from a book, it usually gives a serving size the recipe will make. Use that and stick to that when you are serving yourself.
  • katy84o
    katy84o Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    I agree totally and I think that the creators of the site should filter through at some point. There really doesn't need to be 20 different entries for the same product.

And really, if it's wrong, please PLEASE just edit instead of adding it again.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    What bugs me more is coming across personalized ones... like "jack's shrimp stir-fry" or "lucy's 2 egg omelet". Why aren't people using the recipe function for stuff like this instead of cluttering up the database??

Have you ever come across the "deleteds"?? If you search the database for "delete or deleted" you get a whole slew of entries where people have decided, for whatever reason, to try to cancel the entry but those entries don't ever just go away. Now, if I need to enter something, I pick one of the "deleted" entries and edit it to the food I want to add to the database. Just my little part in trying to do some clean-up.

Those are my recipes. That is what you say what the recipes are for. I even go as far as to add a date to the name if it's something I make often but throw together what's there so the numbers vary widely from week to week. Most notably tuna salad. Some times I have more onions that others, or more black olives...

I use the "RECIPE" function for that. Then, if I need to change an amount or add or subtract an ingredient, I can just modify the 'recipe' for that item. Seems a lot easier to me than trying to remember what you had in it when you created the entry.

For those who are eating the same thing as friends or partners, I enter the recipe in mine and log it in my diary. My friends can look at my diary on the computer or in their app (on their iPod or iPhones) and just 'copy' my meal to their dairy. They don't have to enter the recipe separately at all.

Thank you for being so kind and thoughtful in how you use the database. Now if we could all do that.... I never make anything the same way twice so I am always editing my recipes; it would be just stupid to put them in the database.
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    Please tell me this is a joke to wind people up? Because its the stupidest thing I have ever read.

jlapey, with stuff like that I just measure how many ladlefuls there is, 1 ladle=1 serving. You could do the same with cups if you prefer.
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options

You're the reason I'm getting fat......fcker!
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I think half the problem is foods having different values in different countries.
  • eatcleantarajane
    eatcleantarajane Posts: 10 Member
    Options

I've done this, but because both my husband and I use the site and when I cook it's faster for him to log if it's in the database than for him to enter the recipe in as well.

Please, find another way.

I guess you could always add it in one account, and then friends can just add the total calorie count? I guess that's not helpful if you want to track protein and carbs as well, but there's one way around it??