Are The People On Here more Susceptible To Eating Disorders?

Options

Replies

• anggxo
    anggxo Posts: 102
    Options
    I'm on MFP trying (and succeeding) to either gain 10-15 pounds or lose 10-15 pounds. Should I get help too?

If you can't decide whether you are trying to gain weight or lose weight...Then absolutely...you should seek help too.

I alternate between the two because I find it difficult/impossible to add muscle when not eating at a surplus and also find it difficult/impossible to eat at a surplus without also adding fat...so I eat at a surplus to add muscle and fat and then eat at a slight deficit to lose more fat than muscle. Later. Rinse. Repeat. MFP is the tool I use to track.

TL;DR: MFP isn't just for people trying to lose 50+ pounds.

ETA: Oh, and body composition matters more than scale weight anyhow.

The advice still stands...you need professional help with your overeating /lack of muscle building problem ...This site had ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with the development of your disorder.

Cutting and bulking is a disorder?
  • beansprouts
    beansprouts Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Isn't that why people get personal trainers?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

No. Cutting and bulking is mainly about nutrition. Strength training is a part of bulking - the part that makes it useful. A lot of people who bulk (and cut) do not use trainers
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    I'm on MFP trying (and succeeding) to either gain 10-15 pounds or lose 10-15 pounds. Should I get help too?

If you can't decide whether you are trying to gain weight or lose weight...Then absolutely...you should seek help too.

I alternate between the two because I find it difficult/impossible to add muscle when not eating at a surplus and also find it difficult/impossible to eat at a surplus without also adding fat...so I eat at a surplus to add muscle and fat and then eat at a slight deficit to lose more fat than muscle. Later. Rinse. Repeat. MFP is the tool I use to track.

TL;DR: MFP isn't just for people trying to lose 50+ pounds.

ETA: Oh, and body composition matters more than scale weight anyhow.

The advice still stands...you need professional help with your overeating /lack of muscle building problem ...This site had ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with the development of your disorder.

I do not think you understand the concept of cutting/bulking.
  • beansprouts
    Options

No. Cutting and bulking is mainly about nutrition. Strength training is a part of bulking - the part that makes it useful. A lot of people who bulk (and cut) do not use trainers

"Bulking and Cutting Myth
    In the muscle magazines you always hear about ‘bulking’ up then ‘cutting’ down before a contest, should you do this too? Probably not. Professional bodybuilders and very advanced bodybuilders (those who have been lifting seriously more than 7 years) benefit from bulking cutting but in my opinion, beginners and intermediates do not. In fact, there are many disadvantages for beginners and intermediates. Wild weight swings are not good for your body. Obesity is an epidemic in the western world and most beginners and intermediates are no exception. The last thing an overweight or obese beginner should be encouraged to do is to “bulk”! Even more important for a beginner or intermediate bodybuilder than learning to lift weights is to learn what good nutrition is and being able to control their bodyfat levels. There is no reason at all that a beginner or intermediate bodybuilder cant gain muscle AND lose fat at the same time with good nutrition, weightlifting and cardio. It is much easier (and healthier) to keep your body fat low year-round than it is to pig out for a few months and then have to diet for 4 months to get all the fat back off. Why not be ripped all the time rather than just one month a year????? It’s easier, better for your body, looks better, AND its easier – who likes dieting anyway!"

http://scoobysworkshop.com/bulking-and-cutting/
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

"Bulking and Cutting Myth
    In the muscle magazines you always hear about ‘bulking’ up then ‘cutting’ down before a contest, should you do this too? Probably not. Professional bodybuilders and very advanced bodybuilders (those who have been lifting seriously more than 7 years) benefit from bulking cutting but in my opinion, beginners and intermediates do not. In fact, there are many disadvantages for beginners and intermediates. Wild weight swings are not good for your body. Obesity is an epidemic in the western world and most beginners and intermediates are no exception. The last thing an overweight or obese beginner should be encouraged to do is to “bulk”! Even more important for a beginner or intermediate bodybuilder than learning to lift weights is to learn what good nutrition is and being able to control their bodyfat levels. There is no reason at all that a beginner or intermediate bodybuilder cant gain muscle AND lose fat at the same time with good nutrition, weightlifting and cardio. It is much easier (and healthier) to keep your body fat low year-round than it is to pig out for a few months and then have to diet for 4 months to get all the fat back off. Why not be ripped all the time rather than just one month a year????? It’s easier, better for your body, looks better, AND its easier – who likes dieting anyway!"

http://scoobysworkshop.com/bulking-and-cutting/

This goes to show that you really do not understand it.
  • deevatude
    deevatude Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    beansprouts.........are u mad?
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of the reasoning behind the type of disordered eating you see here is ignorance.

I agree with this. The General Population just has no clue how diet & exercise work. I know I didn't till I started doing research. Because there is so much contradictory stuff out there some of that research was trial and error. I spent the first two weeks of my weight loss journey just reading and looking up nutritonal information on the stuff I was currently eating before I made any changes.

Also, What jof' said. This is My "Fitness" Pal. Fitness can be a lot of things; from the people who have a hundy to lose, to ultra runners, to cardio bunnies, to body builders. Fitness is lots of different flavors and we each have our own goals and what we do plays into those goals....so maybe we shouldn't be so judgemental.

^ THIS!
  • beansprouts
    Options
    Many men develop eating disorders as a result of trying to “bulk up” and build muscle mass.
  • anggxo
    anggxo Posts: 102
    Options
    There is no reason at all that a beginner or intermediate bodybuilder cant gain muscle AND lose fat at the same time with good nutrition, weightlifting and cardio.

lol no. Small newbie gains are possible, but for the most part, it is not possible to gain significant muscle while eating at a calorie deficit.
  • beansprouts
    Options
    There is no reason at all that a beginner or intermediate bodybuilder cant gain muscle AND lose fat at the same time with good nutrition, weightlifting and cardio.

lol no. Small newbie gains are possible, but for the most part, it is not possible to gain significant muscle while eating at a calorie deficit.

So you think that you know more than Scooby?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Most people know more than scooby

www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7Ey1ch2Koc
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Many men develop eating disorders as a result of trying to “bulk up” and build muscle mass.

Source? Or is this you own opinion, for what that is worth?
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options

I know more than the whole gang, except maybe Velma, because she's the brainy one.
  • kimberliiw
    kimberliiw Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Whether you believe in the process of cutting and bulking or not I don't think it's an eating disorder. It could be if carried to an extreme, the same as eating ice cream isn't an eating disorder unless done in a pathological way.
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options

I know more than the whole gang, except maybe Velma, because she's the brainy one.

meddling kids:grumble:
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I haven't read the comments yet, but most of us came here, because we already had an eating disorder of some sort. It comes with the territory. I wouldn't blame the site for that. It seems to me like there is a bit of confusion between the chicken and the egg.

I just saw some of the comments and I would just like to say, roooby roooby roooo!
  • beansprouts
    Options

Most people know more than scooby

www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7Ey1ch2Koc

:laugh:
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    I just saw some of the comments and I would just like to say, roooby roooby roooo!

30c977bd-dac9-4ad8-9f94-62d3b19010c4.jpg
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Seems to be a lot of confusion here about what an eating disorder is......and what OCD is.....and what cutting and bulking cycles are.....pretty piss poor thread of ideas...

MFP is a tracking tool which may attract people susceptible to eating disorders, the act of tracking calories does not in itself cause eating disorders. Correlation=/=causation.