Are The People On Here more Susceptible To Eating Disorders?

Options

Replies

• Brewster1215
    Brewster1215 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I can see how that happens. It's been difficult to eat more even though my coach keeps telling me to. This place HAS been helpful in determining what I put in my body.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    There is no reason at all that a beginner or intermediate bodybuilder cant gain muscle AND lose fat at the same time with good nutrition, weightlifting and cardio.

lol no. Small newbie gains are possible, but for the most part, it is not possible to gain significant muscle while eating at a calorie deficit.

So you think that you know more than Scooby?

I tried and was unable to gain lean mass while lifting in a deficit, I have the dexa scans to prove it
  • anggxo
    anggxo Posts: 102
    Options
    There is no reason at all that a beginner or intermediate bodybuilder cant gain muscle AND lose fat at the same time with good nutrition, weightlifting and cardio.

lol no. Small newbie gains are possible, but for the most part, it is not possible to gain significant muscle while eating at a calorie deficit.

So you think that you know more than Scooby?

I know more than the whole gang, except maybe Velma, because she's the brainy one.

tumblr_m270z3snA51qebnib.gif
    twerk it velma.

Seriously though? "Scooby" is not some all-knowing fitness God whose every word should be considered 100% truth. Research is your friend.
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    I can see how that happens. It's been difficult to eat more even though my coach keeps telling me to. This place HAS been helpful in determining what I put in my body.

I say this with :heart:
    EAT, B!TCH!
  • Cutting and bulking is a disorder?
    Isn't that why people get personal trainers?

No. Cutting and bulking is mainly about nutrition. Strength training is a part of bulking - the part that makes it useful. A lot of people who bulk (and cut) do not use trainers

"Bulking and Cutting Myth
    In the muscle magazines you always hear about ‘bulking’ up then ‘cutting’ down before a contest, should you do this too? Probably not. Professional bodybuilders and very advanced bodybuilders (those who have been lifting seriously more than 7 years) benefit from bulking cutting but in my opinion, beginners and intermediates do not. In fact, there are many disadvantages for beginners and intermediates. Wild weight swings are not good for your body. Obesity is an epidemic in the western world and most beginners and intermediates are no exception. The last thing an overweight or obese beginner should be encouraged to do is to “bulk”! Even more important for a beginner or intermediate bodybuilder than learning to lift weights is to learn what good nutrition is and being able to control their bodyfat levels. There is no reason at all that a beginner or intermediate bodybuilder cant gain muscle AND lose fat at the same time with good nutrition, weightlifting and cardio. It is much easier (and healthier) to keep your body fat low year-round than it is to pig out for a few months and then have to diet for 4 months to get all the fat back off. Why not be ripped all the time rather than just one month a year????? It’s easier, better for your body, looks better, AND its easier – who likes dieting anyway!"

http://scoobysworkshop.com/bulking-and-cutting/

kiddingdocwhotumblr_lm2j85wMj11qcgcey_zps1334ed12.gif
  • Brewster1215
    Brewster1215 Posts: 247 Member
    Options

I say this with :heart:
    EAT, B!TCH!

:heart: ya coach! :laugh:
  • nillapup
    nillapup Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Absolutely honestly use a height to weight chart to know what your ideal weight is some people just keep looking in the mirror and saying hmm I think I could survive losing a bit more

I've been watching a show called super size vs super skinny and it's so easy to get an eating disorder the way the people on that show think is very similar to many people I know
    I love that show
  • wjewell
    wjewell Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I would be willing to say that most people on the site have an ED... That's why we are here. We didn't become over weight because we have a healthy relationship with food. Whether you eat entirely too much and gain weight, or you don't eat, or you eat and throw up and lose weight..it's an ED.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I would be willing to say that most people on the site have an ED... That's why we are here. We didn't become over weight because we have a healthy relationship with food. Whether you eat entirely too much and gain weight, or you don't eat, or you eat and throw up and lose weight..it's an ED.

Might want to look up what constitutes an ED
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    The fitness world in general is a breeding ground for obsessive behavior.

I think part of the reason is that more attention to detail yields better results, up to a certain point. It's often difficult to know where to draw the line between consistently doing the things that matter and obsessing over details that don't.

This.
  • stargazer008
    Options
    Eating disorders are more complex than what you seem to think.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I read through the posts since my last one and...well, I'm dumbfounded.

I thought about typing out a long response to all of the crazy talk, but decided...

...nah, forget it.

But I'll give your advice to seek professional help for my "eating disorder" all of the consideration it deserves.

Best of luck in reaching your own personal goals.
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options

The last thing an overweight or obese beginner should be encouraged to do is to “bulk”!
    does that poster look to be an obese beginner to you?
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    I read through the posts since my last one and...well, I'm dumbfounded.

I thought about typing out a long response to all of the crazy talk, but decided...

...nah, forget it.

But I'll give your advice to seek professional help for my "eating disorder" all of the consideration it deserves.

Best of luck in reaching your own personal goals.
    And by "all the consideration it deserves" he means he's going to write about it obsessively in his journal while shoveling Smarties into his mouth.

He'll be on the phone with his therapist in the morning. I guarantee it.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    There are ED surveys that can be taken online to see if one needs to seek counseling. But I'm sure there are those who have a few of the behavioral and psychological traits that are items listed on such surveys such as striving for perfection, being OCD, having very negative body image and self-worth, thoughts of suicide, etc. So, yes, it could make it worse but generally people will have countless issues before coming to this site.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

The last thing an overweight or obese beginner should be encouraged to do is to “bulk”!
    does that poster look to be an obese beginner to you?

I'd definitely say he looks like an underweight beginner...downright scrawny even. In fact, my question for him would be, DYEL?

(Oh, wait, I'm not posting this from an alt account? Hmmm...awkward.)
  • catpow2
    catpow2 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I agree. Depends on how you define ED, but probably everyone on here has some kind of issue with food and/or exercise. That's why we're here.

Personally, I don't know what it's like to NOT think about what I eat and how much I exercise (or not) all the time, every single day. And this has been going on for 25 years. MFP just gave me an outlet--a healthy way--to manage it. I've been overweight, but I've never really been fat. And I have been underweight because I didn't eat. Now I have a pretty healthy relationship with food and exercise--I eat when I'm hungry, and I don't exercise If my body tells me not to. But that doesn't mean I'm still not obsessed. I am. But hopefully it's in a better way now.
  • MittenKitten1219
    MittenKitten1219 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I think it is very easy to become obsessive. I see food and my first thought is a guess at calories, which it is scary how good I am getting at that! HOWEVER, when I count calories it helps me eat healthier which has stopped me from binging and purging. I have also found that I won't do that if I am in a contest because I feel like I would be cheating the others who are doing it right. I personally think that being a bit obsessive about what I am putting into my mouth is better than my alternative.
  • laurashapiro
    laurashapiro Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    The fitness world in general is a breeding ground for obsessive behavior.

I think part of the reason is that more attention to detail yields better results, up to a certain point. It's often difficult to know where to draw the line between consistently doing the things that matter and obsessing over details that don't.

Perfectly said.
  • funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Given how often threads end up with a reveal by the OP that they're recovering from an eating disorder, I'm beginning to wonder if there are many on MFP that *aren't* dealing with an ED.

I wonder the same thing. I honestly don't think anybody her as natural, normal eating patterns. We're all disordered; sometimes that disorder is enough to qualify for an actual medical and psychological diagnosis. I've met a few people on MFP who are not totally obsessive, and they tend to be in the EM2WL group and among those who lift heavy.

I was in a treatment facility for about 2 months for bulimia and upon my initial assessment, the leading psychologist there told me how rare it is for people who lose a lot of weight NOT to have developed some sort of eating disorder. I was 145 pounds down at the time, and I started at 1200 calories like all the rest of MFP a few years ago. (It's like we didn't know any better then!!)