Do you exercise before or after work?

Options
13»

Replies

• so_losin_it
    so_losin_it Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    After reading all of your may responses (thanks :), what I'm finding in common with you all is that you've got some kind of routine. I really can't complain about my 8 am start time for work when many of you are getting up and working out at 5 am and starting work much earlier than I do! I suppose I could find an excuse not to work out even if I didn't work till noon. It's all a matter of making it a priority to take care of ourselves, isn't it? That's something I've always struggled to do.
  • _kannnd
    _kannnd Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I'm not a morning person, so it's hard to get motivated to exercise before work. I'm a teacher and have to be at school at 8am. However, once I get home at night around 5:30-6pm, I'm so hungry and tired from my day...I know it's an excuse, but fatigue is a reality. How you do find the motivation, and do you work out in the morning or evening?

After trying both the mornings and right after work, I have found that the best time for me is at night around the time that my kid goes to bed. It's too late for most. I usually don't go until 8:30-9 and I stay anywhere from an hour to 2 hours. I'm not a morning person, and right after I get home from work just isn't the best. I'm hungry and want to see my kid. Later has seemed to work out much better and I'm more apt to go than if I tried to go at either of the other times.
  • PixelTreason
    PixelTreason Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I force myself to wake up at 5AM and go to the gym before work. I know I'll NEVER do it after, I'm too tired and just want to flop on the couch. I do go for a small walk after work but that's it.

After a while you get used to getting up early. I am anything but a morning person, trust me.
  • CaptainSwab
    Options
    I do most of my workouts after work. I'm a teacher too and know how the kids wear you out. I usually get home and after 45 minutes or so feel energized enough to get a workout in. The only time I workout in the morning is typically when I go to my running club for the long run when I'm marathon training.
  • 6mimi
    6mimi Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    I workout in the mornings. I wake at 4:45am to get to the gym by 5:00am. I start work at 7:30am . If I workout in the evenings I miss time with my son and I also have trouble sleeping. At first I found it really difficult to get up (I am not a morning person) but I am finding that I like it now.
  • wimeezer
    wimeezer Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Before work 5 days a week and an additional water class after work one night.

I'm usually awake before the alarm anyway. And I feel great all day :)
  • TrishaAnn13
    TrishaAnn13 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I go on my way home from school. If I go home first I probably won't go so I make sure to go straight to the gym when I leave.
  • msjones2831
    msjones2831 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Prefer mornings but lately it's been half and half
  • BrittanyynattirB
    Options
    before work bc if im tired i wouldnt be mad if i didnt exercise after work bc i already got it out of the way
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    On my lunch hour. I quite my local cheap gym ($300 yr) for Goodlife Fitness where there are 5 locations in the downtown Toronto core and 2 in my town and so now I work-out 6 or 7 days a week. It's a great way to de-stress and get some much needed Law & Order time in - go Peachtree network ;)
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Mostly after work. Am I tired....of course. Do I have other things to do....2 children, a husband, 2 dogs, 2 cats....yes, I have things to do. But I do it anyway at least 2-3 days during the work week because it is important to me. Once you get started, it gets easier to keep going. So get started!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    mostly after work, but i'd LOVE to be able to consistently do it before. i seem to work out better on an empty stomach.
  • rezn8
    rezn8 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I was never a morning person. I start work at 6am and used to always get up as late as possible to shower and get there. However, when I decided I wanted to work out I ran into the same problems you describe as far as no time after work with everything going on including getting kids here and there. I also found that late workouts woke me up and I couldn't get to sleep well.
    Solution was to get my butt up early and start. The first week was difficult but I set my mind to start and now it's up every morning about 3:30am exercise from about 4-5am and off to work at 5:30am. I am now in my 6 month straight of doing it. I feel much more energy in the morning at work and the end of the day is no different except I try to get to bed by 9 or 10pm. It doesn't always happen but i've gotten in so much better shape doing it that i wouldn't change a thing.
  • cappri
    cappri Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    I workout after work, around 3:30pm. If I have to I will get up early and workout before leaving for work, but I don't like it, and I feel like it makes me hungry all day long.
  • the3erwins
    the3erwins Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I just made the decision that I wanted to change my life. Part of that change is that I have to exercise. I get up every morning at 4:45 (ok...I snooze till 5:00). I hit the gym at 5:30 for an hour and head to work. Some mornings it is really tough. But I know that if I put it off till later, I will keep putting it off, and it won't get done. It's just a frame of mind.
  • NyxariaMoon
    NyxariaMoon Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I used to workout after work, but found that by the time I got home around 7:30 - 8:00pm, I was tired and it was a 50/50 chance whether I would work out or not. I'm definitely NOT a morning person. I worked nights for 13 1/2 years for a reason! heh.

I now workout at lunch. We have an exercise room where I work and it used to contain an old antiquated weight bench, which no one used. Our VP decided to take it out and instead, put in 3 treadmills and 3 elliptical machines. Yay! So, instead of going out for fast food with my co-workers, I now go workout. Thankfully we have showers as well! :)