"Doctors are _______ to Fat Patients"

Options

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    If you have a high body fat percentage you are unhealthy. Just sayin!!!

That's not necessarily true. Having a low BF% doesn't mean you are healthy either.
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    their job is to diagnose and offer guidance on how to be healthier. They wouldn't sugarcoat the possible prognoses for someone who smokes or drinks in excess

No, they would discuss various patches, nicotine gums, alcohol rehabs, or drugs to make you barf when you drink. Most doctors don't offer guidance to the obese. They just smack them with a "Lose weight or you'll die. Go on a diet" and send them home. No guidance and no help. That's not productive and compounds the problems for someone who is already overwhelmed.
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    So, some doctors are dillholes to their patients. Surprise! Doctors are humans.

There's nothing wrong with a doctor approaching a patient about their weight if a patient is extremely over OR under weight. Yea, some of the stories on here -- those doctors were *kitten* and did it the wrong way. That doesn't mean doctors shouldn't keep doing their job and trying to help their patients avoid future health problems.

In conclusion, suck it up, princesses.
  • castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Okay... I realize I'm probably being naive right now, but I'm just wondering, how does a vegan get fat? If you're a true vegan? Do you eat like, 15 pounds of carrots a day? I really don't get it, I'm sorry...

Yeah, that does sound odd... I used to think of a vegan as someone who eats only vegetables, fruit, beans, and whole grains, but that isn't necessarily the case. Vegan only means eschewing animal products. There's plenty of processed junk, full of sugar and refined flour, that qualifies as vegan. You can eat white bread, pasta and rice, washed down with sugar-sweetened drinks, have dessert at every meal and few or no vegetables or fruits, and still technically be vegan.

Don't get me wrong--I don't believe most vegans do that; but that is one way to produce a fat vegan.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    their job is to diagnose and offer guidance on how to be healthier. They wouldn't sugarcoat the possible prognoses for someone who smokes or drinks in excess

No, they would discuss various patches, nicotine gums, alcohol rehabs, or drugs to make you barf when you drink. Most doctors don't offer guidance to the obese. They just smack them with a "Lose weight or you'll die. Go on a diet" and send them home. No guidance and no help. That's not productive and compounds the problems for someone who is already overwhelmed.

I agree with the point you're making about doctors not offering a lot of constructive advice. They should at least refer the patient to a dietician if their insurance covers it, but sadly, a lot of doctors don't seem to understand how hard it is for someone who is obese and never learned how to eat well to change their habits.
  • tequila09
    tequila09 Posts: 764 Member
    Options

That's not necessarily true. Having a low BF% doesn't mean you are healthy either.

Those are both true.
  • MyM0wM0w
    Options
    In addition, there must be a fat tax. because fat people are draining healthcare budget.
    its a choice of eating. want to overeat? pay tax. just like tax on cigarretes.
    They can put that into effect at the same time they do the *kitten* tax and ignorant tax.
  • farmwife3815
    farmwife3815 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I've read all the comments in this thread. I got up to 450 pounds. Did I have health problems? YES. Did Dr. tell me to lose weight? YES When I asked how I was told to eat 1200 calories a day and exercise. I would do it for a few weeks or months, have some success, then I would get hungry. I mean really hungry. I would binge, feel guilty, try again, then binge again. It wasn't until I started researching and found this site that I learned I have to eat. My DR. informed me that I am doing it wrong. She told me I can not possibly be losing weight doing what I am doing. I have lost 70 pounds in 14 WEEKS! When I pointed this out to her, she shook her head and told me we needed to talk at my next appt. I am in no hurry to see her. So I agree Dr's need to be open minded and look at other ways to lose weight besides a 1200 cal. diet. I'm doing this for my health but if I had listened to my Dr. I would not be on the losing side! I would be heavier yet, sad, depressed and mostly dead.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    Okay... I realize I'm probably being naive right now, but I'm just wondering, how does a vegan get fat? If you're a true vegan? Do you eat like, 15 pounds of carrots a day? I really don't get it, I'm sorry...

Yeah, that does sound odd... I used to think of a vegan as someone who eats only vegetables, fruit, beans, and whole grains, but that isn't necessarily the case. Vegan only means eschewing animal products. There's plenty of processed junk, full of sugar and refined flour, that qualifies as vegan. You can eat white bread, pasta and rice, washed down with sugar-sweetened drinks, have dessert at every meal and few or no vegetables or fruits, and still technically be vegan.

Don't get me wrong--I don't believe most vegans do that; but that is one way to produce a fat vegan.

I don't think that's the ONLY way to be a fat vegan. I do believe you CAN over eat on perfectly healthy stuff. Say vegan pie or vegan cake or whatever. Not highly processed but still high in calories. Not to mention nuts, which are extremely high calorie. Wouldn't be hard to over eat if you're a huge nut lover.

*sigh*
  • castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options

I don't think that's the ONLY way to be a fat vegan. I do believe you CAN over eat on perfectly healthy stuff. Say vegan pie or vegan cake or whatever. Not highly processed but still high in calories. Not to mention nuts, which are extremely high calorie. Wouldn't be hard to over eat if you're a huge nut lover.

*sigh*

I agree with you. I didn't say it was the ONLY way, I said it was ONE way. The question was raised, and hopefully you and I have answered it for the asker.
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options

*sigh*

There's no magic in eating whole plant foods. They still have calories. Once the palate adjusts to new foods, you crave those foods just like any other.
  • _VoV
    Options

BMI is BMI--it is a crude, yet useful, instrument. It tells you if your weight is proportionate with your height. It doesn't factor in health considerations. There are, in fact, healthy obese people. Obesity correlates with many diseases of excess, but can also affect outcomes in positive ways. For instance: osteoporosis.

I like the Canadian Edmonton Obesity Staging System because it acknowledges that there are obese people in good health:

http://www.canada.com/health/Heavy+healthy+formula+slims+down+definition+dangerously+obese/5257089/story.html
  • praxisproject
    praxisproject Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I'm not reading the article as I can pretty much guess the contents.

Some doctors *are* lazy when treating fat patients, I've had a number of completely untreated health conditions which have directly contributed to my weight gain, because doctors just said "eat less, move more" and didn't bother listening to me, running any tests or even asking basic questions which would be required for diagnosis or treatment.

If you're not happy with your doctor, if you feel they don't listen to you, change the doctor you see.

My health has improved in leaps and bounds with a new doctor, who is treating my health problems that reduce my ability to lose weight and/or cause gains. Some people are on medications that are the worst thing to be on if you have a weight problem.

If your doctor is closed-minded to your health, it's time to move on.
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later
    Save your energy for a better topic. In this thread I was called an obese whale who was in denial! Not very supportive at all!

Nobody called you an obese whale. You're just making up attacks now.
  • NocturnalGirl
    Options
    Bump to read later
    Save your energy for a better topic. In this thread I was called an obese whale who was in denial! Not very supportive at all!

When did they specifically call you that? They didn't.
  • MyM0wM0w
    Options
    Bump to read later
    Wow, did the mods pull that post? I didn't see anyone say anything derogatory towards you at all...... that's terrible!
  • _VoV
    Options
    I love the people advocating that being overweight isn't unhealthy, seeing as they are on a weight loss website.

I, for one, am not saying being overweight is healthy or unhealthy. I am saying that it is not prima facie evidence of ill health. You CAN be fat and healthy.

I am approaching 58 with ideal health and health indices (lipids, BP, glucose, etc). Despite that, I'd like to shed some weight for various reasons, but mostly because I feel I move more easily, and enjoy myself more as a slimmer person. So, that's why I'm on a weight loss website.

Others may be here because they have health issues and that is fabulous!
  • _VoV
    Options
    Bump to read later
    Wow, did the mods pull that post? I didn't see anyone say anything derogatory towards you at all...... that's terrible!

That is terrible. Was it pulled? If not, I hope so because name-calling is uncalled for.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later

Did someone actually call you an obese whale or was it inferred? Because I'm not seeing it either way. :(