how do you like your tuna

Options
so good for us but tough to take on a regular basis... any ideas

Replies

• G__Force
    G__Force Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I put in a table spoon of mayo and a couple spoons of pico di gallo to spice it up, But normally I eat it without bread most of the time. If i'm having a sandwich I like to put chopped up pickles in it.
  • Biodemon
    Biodemon Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I like making a macaroni tuna salad out of it. Just cook some macaroni pasta, add mayo, the tuna and some boiled egg in. You can vary the ratios of mayo, tuna and Mac to whatever you want and you can add whatever you want. It's very versatile. You can also use whatever pasta you want. I love using tricolor rotini. it tastes delicious with some baked tortilla chips or saltine crackers.
  • SLRamirez2012
    Options
    JUst plain in my salad.... I am not a huge tuna eater.. but to up the protein when I don't have any chicken available, I go for it in the salad.
  • madilovescupcakes
    Options
    I put LF mayo, red onion, celery, green apple, dill and boiled egg whites. Its good on a sandwich or plain, but I like it best on matzah.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Tonight I got home and realized I didn't have any proteins defrosted. (I buy chicken and salmon on sale then portion and freeze it) So to the cabinet I went and had one can of tuna in there. So I sautéed some garlic, added the tuna and threw in some sriracha, onion powder, cayenne, Worcestershire sauce, and a touch of salt. Added in an assortment of chopped veggies (just what I had on hand in the fridge) and then tossed in 50g of spinach just long enough to wilt it. While all that was cooking I measured a serving of low fat sour cream into the bowl I was gonna serve it into. When the spinach wilted, I dumped it all into the bowl and tossed it with the sour cream to make it sorta creamy and saucy. It was spicy, creamy, full of veggies, and nice and filling.
  • UWZander
    Options
    Make some spaghetti out of it.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I don't like the canned stuff. I need a raw tuna steak. then I just slap that puppy down and sink my teeth into it.
  • chooriyah
    chooriyah Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I agree on the raw tuna. Sushi is the way forward!

I don't really like it when it's cooked and in a can. This is one of the better recipes I've found - plus no mayonnaise. You have to scroll down, under the cauliflower soup (http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2006/09/the-fragile-cooking-ego/). I love the combination of dill and tuna.

However, I also try not to eat it on a regular basis because tuna stocks are getting so low worldwide. Would be very sad to lose that beautiful fish forever. I'm eating more sardines and kippers these days!
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Either sushi or I make a tuna melt using supremely spicy hummus instead of mayo...it's awesome
  • risenonlytofall
    Options
    If we're talking canned tuna I usually mix mine up with a couple tablespoons of spicy hummus.
  • Natashaa1991
    Natashaa1991 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    i used to eat it in salads (boring).
    now i make sandwiches! half can tuna, 1.5 tablespoon half fat mayo and chopped red onion. i eat it at least twice a week :)
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I buy tuna with chilli oil and mix it with avocado - it's a great dip or spread or sandwich filling.
  • SaraJanePOWER
    SaraJanePOWER Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Wow!! love the ideas. Thanks so much for sharing them.
  • rebelontherun
    rebelontherun Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    on sandwiches or in salads
  • ElizaRoche
    ElizaRoche Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    mayo,tomato, onion, cucumber and cilantro.. I either make a sandwich or eat it alone
  • NaturallyOlivia
    NaturallyOlivia Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Straight from the can dumped on top of a baby spinach salad with walden farms no calorie thousand island. Very yummy and VERY filling!
  • GreyEyes21
    GreyEyes21 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Tuna melt - tuna, mayo, cheese, tomato. :)

Sushi

Grape Tuna - tuna, mayo, celery, green grapes cut into 1/4ths, 2t honey (optional) mix and put on bread :)

Spicy tuna - tuna, mayo, mild wax peppers, sweet whole pickles (chopped very small), paprika, cayenne pepper, put on bread and add tobasco to the top.. YUM!

Regular tuna sandwich - tuna, mayo, mild wax peppers, sweet whole pickles (chopped very small), put on bread.

Tuna with mayo and mustard
  • bunsen_honeydew
    bunsen_honeydew Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    great ideas, thanks!
  • ihateroses
    ihateroses Posts: 893 Member
    Options
    Tuna devilled eggs.

Mix tuna with cucumber and sriracha and add to yolk (bit o mayo if ya like) then fill them eggs!
  • MarianneDarroch
    MarianneDarroch Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I either add in a small avocado and pepper to a can of tuna or spice it up with onions and jalapenos and have it with salad and a baked sweet potato.

Have also tried thai tuna fishcakes, was a Gordon Ramsey recipe however they were a massive fail as they fell apart, going to try them again to see if can get the mix right as they were tasty!!