How often do you weigh yourself? Is it motivating?

Options

Replies

• dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I weigh in every morning, but only record when there's a loss. If I gain, I don't record it. I don't record the loss until the number is less than the previous recorded. It's always under the same circumstances as well... wake up, bathroom, then onto the scale.

Interesting, this is exactly what I do too.
  • tubbyelmo
    tubbyelmo Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Once a week, normally on a Saturday morning. Though if the scale doesn't move down on Saturday I will probably drinks loads of water and try again early in the week. I think the tape measure is a better motivation.
  • wildcatnyc
    wildcatnyc Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily, but I record my weight once a week (increase or decrease)...I'm not demovitated by a small uptick that may occur due to water weight especially if I'm doing everything else that I need to do. If a small increase is going to send you over the edge, weighing once a week or once every other week might be better.
  • lewcompton
    lewcompton Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Weighing in weekly first thing on Saturday morning... occasionally I'll weigh-in twice in a week. I try to avoid the daily weigh-in. When I'm doing well twice in a week is fine it gives me a chance to really drop even more... Only 2.8 more to go for 100 pounds... Should be there on Saturday...
  • cmagri11
    Options
    I weigh myself every friday. Work out and diet all week and it is always great to step on it that one day so I can be surprised and feel better about myself.

The thing that keeps me going to wait until friday is when I am working out.. i just keep saying to myself, more weight by friday and i push myself harder and harder. When I weigh myself every day it just makes me want to quit because I do not see changes as fast as I expect.
  • loopingcaterpillar
    loopingcaterpillar Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    once a week on a pay scale for accuracy :P
    BUT i like to step on my less reliable scales with my coat and shoes on and see the total is less than my start total. :D
  • KristinaW506
    KristinaW506 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I weight myself officially once a week a my weight watchers meeting, that's the weight I track. I'll hop on the scale at home anywhere from 0-5 times in the run of the week to see where I am but I don't really pay attention to it because my scale at home is a little off.
  • lewcompton
    lewcompton Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself eight times a day. I record the measurements for a week and total them up, then on sundays, I divide that total by 56 to get my average weight for the week. I find that when I do it this way, I spend more time running back and forth to the scales, and less time eating...and I ALWAYS show a loss. But remember folks, its only magic if it works!!!!
    I love it! At least my bathroom isn't your lucky weigh-in spot...
  • tordre
    tordre Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Normally twice a week, Wednesday if I feel good about my progress this week, and Saturday every week. This puts me in a position to always feel good about my weight-loss, while gaining good resolution of the data of my weight-loss.
  • mmckee10
    mmckee10 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    every day (first thing in the morning)! i love seeing the fluctuations. :)
  • SameMe_JustLess
    SameMe_JustLess Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day. However, lately he hasn't been telling me what I like to hear, so we recently broke up. He knows what he has to do to win me back!

Omg! My scale and I have been off and on for years. Sometimes he can be a real *kitten*!! ;)
  • mmckee10
    mmckee10 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    every day (first thing in the morning)! i love seeing the drop. :) talk about motivation to work out.. and if it goes up, that's really a motivator.
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I use to weigh myself every week, tracking the ups and the downs. Since I restarted, I have not weighed myself yet. I don't know when because I'm still adjusting to a lot of different changes. However, when January 1, 2013 comes I will be weighing myself once a month. Hopefully by then I can be totally moved and adjusted to my new home and the full time job and get my schedule under control. I chose once a month because I can get scale crazy and I want to be able to feel the changes in my body instead of just see the number go down.
  • sofia10811
    sofia10811 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I was weighing myself daily, sometimes multiple times a day (obsessed!) but it was driving me nuts! I moved my scale to the basement to stop myself from the daily torture. I now weigh myself every few days, whenever I have to go downstairs for something. I try not to weigh myself too much during my period because I always gain a pound or two then lose it immediately after.
  • rebelate
    rebelate Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Every morning.

I always try to remember if I did something noticeably different before I step on the scale. I record usually twice a week - once on Fridays with my biggest loser group, and once on Tuesdays. I feel like I am more "in control" if I weigh every day. If it fluctuates a lot, between days, I'll try to remember if I ate anything that was completely different, or worked out more/less, whatever. I think it helps me. I don't get fixated on the number, though.
  • desiree7hanson
    desiree7hanson Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself twice a day. Once in the morning, once at night. I always weigh two lbs heavier at night. I am very lucky I don't have regular fluctuations other than the morning to night, and it is consistent. Once I've been the same weight in the morning for a week, that is when I update MFP. This works for me, but I understand some people have more dramatic fluctuations daily.
  • vadarvs
    vadarvs Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I only do a weekly weigh in, preferably early in the morning before eating or drinking. I think a weekly weigh in is both realistic and can motivate you to either change your eating habits for the following week (if you had a gain) or motivates you to continue to workout harder and maintain your eating habits (if you had a loss). In my opinion, a daily weigh in would only be for your own curiousity.
  • girlwapp
    girlwapp Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Close to daily. Seeing how my numbers have moved (up or down) helps keep me on track for the day. It also helps me predict when my TOM is coming, which is nice.
  • cailinlowe
    cailinlowe Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    i weigh every day, but i dont log it on here every day.
  • SavageFeast
    SavageFeast Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning and it keeps me accountable for everything I eat and gives me an instant wake-up call when I've gone off track.