How often do you weigh yourself? Is it motivating?

Options

Replies

• laural007
    laural007 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Once week, usually Thursdays right before I shower.
  • angelique_redhead
    angelique_redhead Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I weigh in every morning, but only record when there's a loss. If I gain, I don't record it. I don't record the loss until the number is less than the previous recorded. It's always under the same circumstances as well... wake up, bathroom, then onto the scale.

It isn't as much of a motivator as it is just a habit. I look at the trends over the course of a week/month and gauge progress based on that.

^This! This is the way I do it and I tend to retain water like a sponge. I never know when I'm going to have a huge weight loss because I've finally stopped retaining water though so it HAS to be every day. I also take my measurements every couple of weeks.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Once every four weeks. I weigh, take measurements with tape measure and then do the fat caliper thing...yes it is motivating or encouraging to see the numbers change. I do not weigh or measure more often than this, as I used to be obsessed with everything to do with weight and eating....(recovering anorexic/bulimic)
  • lmeasterling
    lmeasterling Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning before breakfast, but I only log the results once per week. :)
  • LucilleHighball
    LucilleHighball Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Weekly, Friday morning. I figure whatever the number it will be inspiring over the weekend. Either inspire me to keep up the good work, or to get me on track, since weekends tend to be more of a challenge.
  • rigorouslogik
    rigorouslogik Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself weekly. I go up and down and don't want to get discouraged by a gain.
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I was pretty steady on weekly. Then I just on during the week before my shower. I didn't find it motivating at all just infuriating. I've hid my scale for the month and feel better so far. I'll weigh in on Dec 1 and see how it went.
    Keep in mind I'm not really trying to lose at the moment.
  • smtillman2
    smtillman2 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily but I'm a lil crazy. It's not for any motivational reasons. I only log the weight every Thurs though.
  • EatClenTrenHard
    EatClenTrenHard Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Weighting myself everyday. Before and after workout. Then putting it on graph, and looking at average. Very linear if you average it down every 2 weeks :P
  • rjh1975
    rjh1975 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh myself daily but, now that I'm pretty much at my goal, I only weigh myself once ever few days. Weighing myself daily was only motivating when I would see those daily small changes. Now it takes me a week before I'll see a change, so daily weighing would probably just discourage me.
  • tyrantduck
    tyrantduck Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    i know i shouldn't but i weigh in every morning after using the bathroom. it helps me stay on track and i can change up what my eating plans are for the day if the results aren't what I hope to see. even if the scale scoots up a couple of ounces, it can change my whole calorie intake for the day and can motivate me to exercise harder.
  • GrannySparkle
    GrannySparkle Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I am obessed with my scales. I am on them every time I am in the bathroom...even the middle of the night. BUT I take this information with a grain of salt. I only record the weight first thing in the morning. If I am up from the day before, I go back and look at my food intake. Did I eat to many carbs? Did I not eat enough protein? Did I go walking? Then I make that day's goals and set them higher. It's working so while others will say it is wrong to weigh daily, I will keep doing what I am doing.
  • Cherylllyn
    Cherylllyn Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily. I want to know if I've lost anything are gained. If I gained I know what made (emotionally or stress) me to eat, eat the wrong food or what food or exercise helped me loose weight.
  • thebowhunter
    Options
    Once a week only. I dont see the need to do it more often.
  • blood6338
    blood6338 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Daily. I try not to let it get to me if I have a slight gain. but if I gained I need to know and then think about what I ate or how much I worked out the day before. If it was a good day eating and working out I know it's not real weight but probalby water weight and it will fall off in a day or two.
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I weigh when ever I feel a woosh. About once a month. I get so down when I show a gain.. so I have learned to avoid the scale.
  • MSam1205
    MSam1205 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I'm a 2x a day weigher. In the am before my shower, and then before bed. I like to know the numbers, and if and how they have changed based on my day/night! A small gain will motivate me to be really strict, a loss will motivate me to continue what I did that was working!
  • PurrfumeGIrl
    PurrfumeGIrl Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Every now and then. I never see a change on the scale but I see a change in how my body is physically changing and developing. I'd like to lose anywhere from 5 to 10lbs but I'm more interested in losing a couple of inches in my waist and in my hips.
  • mrclark09
    mrclark09 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself about every two to three days but my recorded weight is done on Sunday mornings after my workout. Water weight makes the scale jump a lot. One time I weighed myself before and after my workout and there was a difference of 2.5lbs! I'm not a fan of water weight.
  • martintanz
    Options
    Pretty much daily. Regular weigh ins are a good motivator. I know others do it weekly or monthly, but right now, I find that knowing I have to weigh in every morning keeps me on track. If I only weighed myself every month, I would be too tempted to take a couple of days, or even weeks off.