couch to 5k--anyone starting now or success stories??

Options
13»

Replies

• doxylady
    Options
    I just did my first day today. BTW I am 53 and 100 lbs overweight, so if I can do it....ANYONE can do it.
  • xidia
    xidia Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    The best bit of advice I got was "If you can run any slower, you're running too fast".

I went from no exercise to 8 mile runs in 5 months. I now do run faster (but not FAST), and it was a gradual thing. Take the first few weeks slow and easy and the programme really will work for you.
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I finished C25K just about 2 years ago and now I'm working toward my 2nd half and full marathons. Prior to starting the program I wasn't a runner and was desperate to lose at least 30 pounds and was hoping running would get me off the plateau. It did and more!
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Success story: Never ran, hated running. Just assumed I could never do it. Started C25K last year at the age of 44 and I was hooked. The feeling of accomplishment each time I could run further was amazing! I've done around 8-9 5k's since and have metaled twice. :drinker:

I have more 5k's lined up for the future and I plan on doing my first half next year.

The only issue I had pain-wise was shin splints, that was remedied when I was properly fitted for shoes at my local running store.

Good luck to you! :flowerforyou:
  • nuttyfamily
    nuttyfamily Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I'm a success story.

I never ran in my life literally until starting C25k two years ago at the age of 42. I have run countless 5ks, around 5 10ks and trained for two halfs.

I couldn't even slog a block when I started.

My advice, is take it slow...if it feels too hard, slow down. Read all you can on running form, etc. on coolrunning.com or Runner's World's website. Get fitted for shoes at a running shoe store.

If you feel the need to repeat days, go ahead.
  • sarbar71
    sarbar71 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I am just finishing my last week of C25K - I technically have 1 more workout left, but extended the last two runs to the full 3 mile mark because I felt I was ready - so I suppose that can say that I have "graduated". ! I don't have the amazing success stories as some of the others who are running 10k and such, but I will be running in a 5K Santa Run (in full santa suit) on 12/3 and can't wait!! This is the second time I have done C25K, and successfully ran a 5K last time too. I feel like super woman when I run - stick with it - the program definitely works!!
  • leslie0422
    leslie0422 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I completed C25K last year and loved it. It really did ease me back into running after taking a break for a few years to have my kids. I actually ran 4 to 5 days per week rather than the 3 days recommended in the app and I counted calories and during that time I lost most of my weight (50 lbs). Now I run 4 to 5 miles most days and I'm working on increasing my speed.
  • athensguy
    Options
    I started C25k in October 2011. I used my phone for it. Since then I have run 3 half marathons and one marathon along with a bunch of 5ks. I had never run more than a couple of minutes at a time prior to starting the program.
  • OMG_Twinkies
    OMG_Twinkies Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I'm starting week 7 day 1 tomorrow. I had to re-do a couple of weeks because I got lazy in the beginning, but now I'm loving it! When I first started running, it was treadmill only. One day, I decided I was going to be an "outside runner," so I took off around my neighborhood and had no idea what I was doing. I couldn't even go 2 minutes without having to stop and walk. Last week, I went back to that same route and tried again; it felt so good to run right past all the places I remember having to stop before :)

I had some angry knees at first, but I got new shoes, was properly fitted, learned to pay attention to how I was running and how my feet were hitting the pavement, and adjusted my posture (I tend to lean forward...I blame the double D's lol). Now the angry knees have shut up and I can enjoy my run :drinker: