40 Day Juicing Fast:)

Options

Replies

• funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Are you going to juice your Thanksgiving turkey too? And all the Christmas cookies?

30146619.jpg
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I saw that, too. But it didn't inspire me.

Hope all goes well.
    03428 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I saw that too! So inspiring, good luck!
    Don't bash it until you've researched it a little people...
  • babyblooz
    babyblooz Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    1315866438227_8092719.png

A+
  • funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    For the naysayers: Please watch the movie "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead", or visit the website. This is the documentary of Joe, who underwent a 60 day juice cleanse to rid his body of not only fat, but bad habits, and a debilitating auto-immune system.

Seen it. Still think it's stupid.
  • Colleen118
    Colleen118 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I haven't seen the documentary but our stats are quite similar. I'm 5'4" too and started at 217 in May. You got this! :glasses: :flowerforyou:
  • choochoobell
    choochoobell Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    bump
  • BlueInkDot
    BlueInkDot Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Good luck!

It sounds like a diet that will be very difficult and will really test your determination and motivation. You'll have all sorts of cravings and it will be rough. It's good you're working with your doctor to make sure you're staying healthy. I personally wouldn't have the patience and determination for such a task, but if you think it will work for you (and your doctor too, of course,) then KUDOS!!

Of course if it doesn't work out the way you want it to, don't feel discouraged! There are about a gajillion people on here ready to support and encourage you on your journey to becoming a healthier version of you. Again - GOOD LUCK!! :D
  • lrcross
    Options
    I saw the same documentary; it was most inspiring.

I did one full week just to cleanse, and then a partial week. I did not plan to do the 40 days. I still drink raw juices and I juice monthly, but not to replace meals. I think juicing is a good thing, you just have to find what works for you.

Best success to you! :smile:
  • okcareys4ku
    Options
    How do you get protien from fruits and veggies??-- most protien comes from animals -- meat, dairy and eggs. Apples and lettuce does not contain protien. Your body does it own cleanse that is the job of your kidneys and liver.
  • professorRAT
    professorRAT Posts: 690 Member
    Options
  • n2thenight24
    n2thenight24 Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    Problem is, any weight you lose will come right back on the second you put real food in your mouth. Just Sayin...
  • loserbaby84
    loserbaby84 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I could never stick to this. It would hardly be a week change little lone a life style one, lol!

My hunny tried this and it scared the crap outta me! Not that I'm against juicing, I just don't think it's something you take on lightly. Especially for 40 days!

I hope you've done tons of research and reach out to your Dr with questions and concerns in your journey.

Good luck! Cheers :)
  • manderitup
    Options
    Make sure you drink a crud-ton of water and hang in there! i know how hard it is. Be sure to not eat a bunch of junk straight after though, it easily comes back
  • wazzanz
    Options
    It's not how much weight you can lose in 40 days that matters but how much you can lose in 4 months or maintain in 4 years that really counts.

I'm sure this post is a wind-up as it goes against everything MFP is based on and you will not see this approach from the long term success stories. Can you please give us an update in 4 months on how much weight you lost and maintained.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I saw the movie, and admittedly I was kind of impressed with the guy's results- but they leave out some details that I think are really important:

1) What's wrong with micronutrient loading your diet with whole foods? I get that the idea is you couldn't possibly consume the same amount eating whole foods as eating fruits and veggies, but is there really anything wrong with a more moderate approach? As in, just because he's getting say, 30 servings of juiced veggies/fruits, is there any proof that that is actually better than getting 15 servings in whole form? (the numbers just being used as an example, I don't remember the actual totals he was eating)

2) What about protein? The whole thing seems like a recipe to lose a high percentage (comparatively) of lean body mass. Wouldn't it be worthwhile to try to preserve LBM during the process?

3) They never discuss the impacts that no solid food can have on digestive system function. Not only is there no solid food, but you're also eliminating the fiber from the fruits and veggies by juicing. The human body moves waste through your system by pushing solids through colon/bowels through a series of contractions that push the solids along. Without solids, it's a VERY REAL concern that you're damaging the digestive system by letting those muscles go unused- aka atrophy.

4) What about fat? Fats play really important roles in the body's functionality, and there are certain fatty acids that are essential nutrients- meaning they can't be produced by your body and NEED to be consumed in some small quantities. Basically, the juicing program is very low fat and low protein. At least people on all-plant and/or raw diets consume nuts and seeds to make up for some of these nutritional holes- juicing had no protection.

4a) Second problem with getting virtually no fat is that certain vitamins - specifically A, D, E, and K - must be consumed with fat to be bioavailable and absorbable. You can be getting a million times the required micronutrients on this diet, but if you don't consume any fat, you will end up deficient in these vitamins. It would be a damm shame to go through this process for the purpose of super-loading micronutrients and end up with vitamin deficiencies!

Those are the few issues I can think of off hand. There are probably more I haven't addressed. I'm not trying to attack juicing, I just think from a nutrition standpoint, you need to seriously consider the issues I've brough up. :flowerforyou:
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why you wouldn't just eat the foods that you want to juice?
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    I've actually done this, and after the first few weeks of anger and agony and being pissed that i couldnt eat some mufking pizza, i just decided to lift weights instead. Worst 3 weeks of my life - and on a lighter note I feel better and look better now from doing 6 weeks of lifitng and eating right,

Brilliant response :happy: I, too, would miss mufking pizza!!
  • Colleen118
    Colleen118 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    wine is juice right?

It is in my book :happy: It's made from fruit :drinker:
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    So, it's generally a bad idea to consume less than 1200 calories per day...

....unless those calories are all from juicing, and then it's totally fine to do for more than a month?

Or am I misunderstanding the overall plan?