Just for poops and giggles

Options
IntoTheSky
IntoTheSky Posts: 390 Member
Suppose I am new. Suppose I know *nothing* about weight loss, proper nutrition, or most effective exercises. I am bored and curious. I already posed this question to my FL, but I will ask the masses.

If you were to give a newbie just *one* bit of advice, what would it be? Would it be nutrition related, fitness, just keep swimming, give up and turn to pizza for comfort? What is the most important part of YOUR healthy routine?

No arguing, please, it is all just opinion, and I am genuinely curious what your answers will be, not how someone else's is wrong.

Replies

• Masqueraded
    Options
    #1 Rule that helped me and I'll always pass along - - DRINK YOUR WATER!!!!!

(close second but not fitness related for ladies - - always wash your face at night!)
  • piggydog
    piggydog Posts: 322
    Options
    Even if you don't feel like doing anything do SOMETHING!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is first and foremost about calories. Burn more than you take in.
  • IntoTheSky
    Options
    These are all really good! Keep them coming!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    track honestly, plan as much as possible (less stress, avoid temptation), set small attainable goals, don't deprive yourself
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    Don't go on the forums.

Gale, what would yours be?
  • laarae
    laarae Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    You didn't gain the weight overnight-nor will you lose it overnight
  • Brianna72994
    Options
    Balance and moderation!!!
  • SageGoddess320
    SageGoddess320 Posts: 2,589 Member
    Options
    Consistency! Consistency! Consistency!
  • IntoTheSky
    Options
    Don't go on the forums.

Gale, what would yours be?

Mine would be to not ever give up. Sometimes, it will be hard, sometimes it will be easy, but it will always be worth it.
  • Scott_Chaput
    Options
    If you're serious about losing weight you can't look at it as a "diet". That implies that its something temporary you have to suffer through.. If you're going to make the change you want this has to be a fundamental lifestyle change and not a fad of quick fix. If getting into shape was easy we'd all have rock hard abs.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Honestly, the first thing I would say is to take it one day at a time and to remember that you didn't gain the weight over night, so you're not going to lose the weight over night.

I'd probably throw out one of those lame *kitten* "It's not a sprint, it's a marathon" lines to sound like a nice person, too.
  • megalin9
    megalin9 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    One little change at a time...
  • SeaRunner26
    SeaRunner26 Posts: 5,143 Member
    Options
    One simple rule: if calories out are more than calories in, you'll lose weight. Just don't take it too far.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is first and foremost about calories. Burn more than you take in.

This, and .... exercise, at least a little, every day. Do it until it is habit, just like taking a shower. You are not being selfish by giving yourself that time. You're investing in yourself, caring for yourself, thinking things through, reserving that tiny bit (30 minutes, 1 hour, what have you) just for you and your betterment. There is nothing wrong with this. There is everything RIGHT about this. Give to yourself so you may be able to give more effectively to others. Because you deserve it.
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    It's all poops and giggles until somebody giggles and poops!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Its not about losing weight, its about catching up to where you know damn well you should be in all areas of your life.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Actually, your title says it all.

Make sure you poop (often) and giggle (often). Both of those make for a much more enjoyable experience in life.
  • ilovemybuggy
    ilovemybuggy Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    It's all poops and giggles until somebody giggles and poops!
    \

dangit! BEAT ME TO IT.