Advice On Saying No?

Options
This is so silly. I realize that not eating something I shouldn't should be as easy as "no thank you". But....apparently it's not.

For those of you that have struggled with saying no to the cookies at work, the candy dish, the french fries on your long commute home, the "I deserve this because I had a bad day" ice cream.....

What have you done to convince yourself to stop? I know, just do it.........but that's not working for me. I feel like I need someone following me around all the time to make my food choices for me.

This is so frustrating because I have watched my mom deal with this my entire life, and from the outside, it seems so simple.......help....be kind please, I know how silly this is.

Replies

• TommiEgan
    TommiEgan Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I find it hard to say no. I usually find imagining how I would look if I had my diet consiting of just bad foods generally helps. For me with being tempted to buy food. I take out all my cards and most of my cash in my wallet and I sometimes leave my wallet at home. If I can't afford it I can't have it.
    Or replace the food. If someone offers you a cookie, go find an apple!
  • Rita_Rocker
    Rita_Rocker Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I know, I watched my Mom "diet" my whole life. For me I don't call it a "diet". That is a 4 letter word for a reason, I think. To me it seems "restricting". Two weeks ago I had TWO ice cream sandwiches 3x/in a week...and I put it on my food log. My trainer says OMG you had sooo many ice cream sandwiches! And I said "and yes, there were delicious"! And I still lost 14 lbs. in 5 weeks and my body fat machine proved I did not starve it off. I choose to not be hard on myself, I am human. I have made SO MANY changes since Oct. 1st but I still crave Cheetos. I have sugar and fast food addiction, I call it what it is. I try to cut myself slack. But then get back on my goals again. I guess I "fell off the Cheetoe wagon"...LOL..

Someone put chocolate chip cookies in the breakroom last week at my job....I wrote a huge note and laid it by the cookies: "Dear Cookies, you have NO POWER over me ! Love, Rita. Worked for me at the time.

Hang in there, keeped focused as you can. The stronger you get and closer to your goal you get it might get easier to say "no" since it will delay you from your goal. Remember...obsticles are put in between you and your goal, to see if you really wanted the goal, or just thought you did. Take care and good luck! Rita
  • Trickybird
    Trickybird Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    For me I think about the consequences of over eating (the ones I haven't experienced YET):

1. Diabetes
    2. Fatty Liver Disease
    3. Leaving my daughter without a mother
    4. Not being able to ride an airplane, or an amusement ride
    5. Knee replacement surgery
    6. Death

I think of these and remember this IS in my control and ONLY mine. I owe it to myself, my family and the world to do the next right thing.

Good Luck
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    Saying No gets a lot easier when you stop saying Never.

Have one cookie instead of one bag of cookies. Have a small slice of cake, not three giant slabs of cake. Have one small bag of chips, not a box of 50 small bags of chips.

Log it.

Fit it into your day.

Breathe.

Live.
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options
    sometimes its hard for me, but usually i think of WHY i was fat to begin with..things like that..tonight i was at the store and got some paper towels, and grabbed some candy bars for the rest of my family while i was waiting in line, and i was ok with it..it is hard, but can be done..just as we were used to eating at will, we can train ourselves to do the opposite as well..but dammit..i want a candy bar now :laugh:
  • princessgoddess
    Options
    Just think about having to record it and then having to stare at it!! That helps me!
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    For me, it all boils down to motivation. Stress and fatigue can make it harder, but in the end, it's always a choice between wanting to do better every day or not.

I also find it really helpful to carefully plan out meals every day so I know what I'm having and not to deprive myself of treats. I just keep them within my calorie budget.
  • miracole
    miracole Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    portion control and penance runs. LOL
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    I think of how much it is going to cost. By eating those cookies at work I am going to feel sluggish and miss my personal training session. Skipping my personal training session I get more fast food and junk food on my way home . I eat the food at home and get mad at myself. The next morning I still feel bloated so I have to shell out for some oolong tea. That has cost me almost $75.00 I could have used to get my hair done. In a nutshell keep a snack in your purse. I keep a yummy Luna Bar (the same company that makes Clif Bars) in there, or some nuts.
  • Brianna72994
    Options
    Keep your goals in mind.

Or, if you absolutely HAVE to, use moderation. Only have 1 or 2 pieces of candy, order a SMALL order of fries, eat only half a cookie, etc.
  • erinmpayne
    erinmpayne Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Sweets at work can be REALLY difficult! (Especially if someone offers you something they home baked! LOL!) What I usually do is just have ONE BITE. Not a huge one, of course, but one that's just enough to taste and just enough to savor! Takes a lot of will-power, but it's worked for me!
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    Say yes instead.

Ask yourself, "is today the day I'm going to be on track and healthy? AM I AWESOME???"

YES.
  • incredible_shrinking_man
    Options
    Hello,

I understand what you mean. It is REALLY hard to say "no" sometimes and it seems like every time I want to be careful there is some circumstance that makes it difficult. It always seems so ironic to me. Restaurants that always gave me small portions make them larger. People around me have birthdays and bring in cake and cookies. Etc.

Unfortunately, I have had to become the King of "no" because I work in film and in this business we have a little thing called "craft services". Producers, in order to keep the crew happy all day, provide a tempting table of FREE food all day long! And trust me, it's not healthy food! I must pass this table hundreds of time a day and it kills me sometimes. It's one thing when you have to pay for food...it's quite another when it is free.

I just want you to know that you can make it. It's difficult, but WELL worth it!

Christopher
  • ropermom
    ropermom Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    For me, I try to change my perspective on what a "treat" is for my body. Am I really treating myself when I eat something that I know is not positive for my body because it will make it fat? Or am I abusing myself instead.
    If I want to reward myself, why oh why would I eat that cupcake. That is not a reward. That is something that will put weight on and cause me anguish about that weight. Some reward!!
    What would a better alternative be? ....

Another thing I will do if I can't stop eating something is just throw it in the trash or pour it down the drain.... Looks better there than it would on my hips!!!
    OK If I have to have a bite I take the bite and pitch the whole rest of the box of cookies, cake, etc.
    No temptation to fish it out and eat the rest...:sick:

Hope this crazy thinking helps!
  • SafioraLinnea
    SafioraLinnea Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    My number one motivator is the results I see so far. I have found that it really does get easier saying no after saying no for long enough. I may be a minority on this site, but I don't believe in *ALWAYS* saying no to everything, provided you are absolutely and completely honest with yourself on the calories you eat. If you want to have a candy from the candy bowl, take one.

I remember spending two days thinking about a box of milk chocolate almonds that I bought from a fundraiser.. For me, cravings usually pass in minutes if not seconds. When they don't I make room to indulge slightly. I opened the box, ate two chocolate almonds (ate them very slowly and savored every bit) and then took the rest to my neighbor's house for her son. And I still lost weight that week.

I often will logic with myself when looking at something I'm considering eating, no matter whether it is meal time or not.

My thought process goes like this:
    Do I actually like this food? If I don't like it, I refuse to waste my calories eating something I'm not actually going to enjoy.
    Is it meal time? (if yes, first food into stomach must be a fruit or a green/orange/red/purple veggie as a part of a proper carb/protein/fat meal. If no, next question)
    Am I thirsty? (go get a glass of water, drink water, next question)
    Am I really truly hungry? (The answer is almost always no. I then smile and I simply say no and move on.)
    If I am actually hungry, do I have calories available to enjoy this food?
    If I have available calories, then I eat an appropriately portioned amount. If no, exercise *FIRST* to earn the calories then eat the food. If exercising first isn't possible, I don't need the snack.
  • skruger22
    skruger22 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Saying No gets a lot easier when you stop saying Never.

Have one cookie instead of one bag of cookies. Have a small slice of cake, not three giant slabs of cake. Have one small bag of chips, not a box of 50 small bags of chips.

Log it.

Fit it into your day.

Breathe.

Live.

This is awesome sauce! Nicely put. :drinker:
  • dragonlagan
    Options
    For me, I try to change my perspective on what a "treat" is for my body. Am I really treating myself when I eat something that I know is not positive for my body because it will make it fat? Or am I abusing myself instead.
    If I want to reward myself, why oh why would I eat that cupcake. That is not a reward. That is something that will put weight on and cause me anguish about that weight. Some reward!!
    What would a better alternative be? ....

I read a very interesting quote once say 'you are not a dog, don't treat yourself with food' and it really got me thinking.
    I'm not on a diet, I'm on a lifestyle change! I don't want to eat pizza 5 days a weeks, I love chicken and beef and vegetables.

Back on topic tho, I take it week by week. Everyone needs a goal to aim towards but some weeks I feel I need to push harder than others.
    One day in work brownies were on the offer and I said 'Can't I got a goal this week', made no sense to the person but saying it made me resist.
    On another day a rice krispy bun was on offer and because I had busted my *kitten* the week before I indulged and recorded it in my diary, when they were offered the next day I refused as I had one yesterday.
    It's cause and effect, having it everyday is bad, indulging once a week won't hurt. You need a deficit of 3500 calories a week. If you have a bun at 200 calories, make it up and there isn't as much damage done.

Stay the course and if you say 'I will never...' you most certainly will. If the temptation is that big make up for it
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I ask myself -

1. Can I fit this into my calorie goal for the day?
    Yes - eat it.
    No or I'm not sure - go to next question.

2. Can I fit in a 30 minute walk to create room for this?
    Yes - eat it.
    No or I'm not sure - don't eat it.

You don't have to say NO every time, just when it is not in your best interest.

It is easier to say no if you are not having cravings, so for some people this might mean they cannot allow themselves to have any. For others, this means they plan for room in their calorie budget for these kinds of snacks.
  • EBBlue10
    EBBlue10 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    You all are awesome. It is so nice to have people understand, and offer advice without being judgemental. Just to brag on myself a little....

I teach. This week is educator appreciation week. Yesterday there was an apple in my mailbox. Today, I was greeted by........a full size hershey bar. UGH!!!! I thought of you all and kindly gave my chocolate bar to the secretary. :)

Success!
    Thanks again!
  • Trickybird
    Trickybird Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Awesome job!