Is protein necessary?

Options
I've been doing some research on the effects of protein powder and supplements on the body, and while some of the benefits are good, I've seen a lot of warnings about over consuming protein. Things like kidney stones, keep me from buying any sort of protein powder and using it. Anybody have any real long-term experience with protein powder and supplements? Just keep in mind that I'm looking to lose weight and start toning. Thanks MFPs! :)

Replies

• CINDYRN33
    CINDYRN33 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Yes sir protein is vital if you dont want it in the form of protein shake you could always eat more fish, chicken ect..but to answer your question YES.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I've been doing some research on the effects of protein powder and supplements on the body, and while some of the benefits are good, I've seen a lot of warnings about over consuming protein. Things like kidney stones, keep me from buying any sort of protein powder and using it. Anybody have any real long-term experience with protein powder and supplements? Just keep in mind that I'm looking to lose weight and start toning. Thanks MFPs! :)

Protein is necessary, protein powder is not. Unless you already have a pre existing kidney issue, I wouldn't worry about protein intake and kidney problems
  • Easywider
    Easywider Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    You're more than able to reach all of your protein/amino requirements via whole food sources only. However, if for whatever reason you choose not to, whey protein isolate powders make great supplementary additions to your diet.

To answer your question, you'd have to consume a stupid ridiculous amount of protein before it starts to damage your kidneys.
  • envy09
    envy09 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Protein powder, protein powder, protein powder! I keep seeing people using it, but I don't really see the benefits unless you are consistently not hitting your protein goal. I lift heavy three times a week and constantly go over my protein allotment for the day; all without the use of any supplements. If you're wanting to "tone" then you're going to want excess protein, but there is no reason you couldn't get this by simply eating higher protein foods in larger portions.
  • Jessicao33
    Jessicao33 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    This is good to know. What supplements of powder do you guys find is better then that other? I ask because I don't eat a lot of meat and I could use this in the morning for my self as breakfast. I am looking to lose and tone also thenks
  • dsmpunk
    dsmpunk Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Chicken breast and fish are your protein friends.
  • jeninabilan
    jeninabilan Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Nope.. and neither is oxygen.. ;) I would put the two in the same category..
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    To answer your question, you'd have to consume a stupid ridiculous amount of protein before it starts to damage your kidneys.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Your body needs protein but it doesn't need protein shakes and powders and it doesn't need huge quantities of it. Seems the latest fad is to chug protein powder like a power lifter.
  • mmotherh
    Options
    Yes protein is necessary - have to agree with others telling you to get it from food. If you consume large quantities of protein you can decrease the risk of kidney problems by being sure to drink pure, clear water!
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    I used to get very little protein in my diet and I was flabby and doughy. It was not a good look. I was weak and tired all the time. Now I live off whey protein. It's the only macro that you really need to worry about. Get at least 1g/kg of body weight. Fat and carbs don't really matter that much. You need a little bit of both, but some people like to do low carb and some do low fat. As long as you get protein, carbs and fat are flexible.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I used to get very little protein in my diet and I was flabby and doughy. It was not a good look. I was weak and tired all the time. Now I live off whey protein. It's the only macro that you really need to worry about. Get at least 1g/kg of body weight. Fat and carbs don't really matter that much. You need a little bit of both, but some people like to do low carb and some do low fat. As long as you get protein, carbs and fat are flexible.

You need a certain amount of fat for healthy body functions.
  • Amlong1977
    Amlong1977 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    This is good to know. What supplements of powder do you guys find is better then that other? I ask because I don't eat a lot of meat and I could use this in the morning for my self as breakfast. I am looking to lose and tone also thenks

I refuse to pay the ridiculous prices some places charge. I buy chocolate peanut butter whey protein from Walmart & mix one scoop with 1 cup unsweetened almond milk, half a frozen banana, & a cup of crushed ice on my blender & it's really good.I've found the almond milk makes it taste a lot better & it's only 30 calories/cup. The banana makes it taste a lot better too & gives it more of a shake like consistency.
  • Jessicao33
    Jessicao33 Posts: 189 Member
    Options

I want to lose weigh so I am low fat intake and low carb in take. I would love to do powder which kind do u use and like?
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I can see this post going down the crapper quite quickly...

But before it does, like mentioned above, protein is important, and I HIGHLY doubt that you will consume enough to give you issues, unless you have a pre-existing condition.
  • thoseblueeyes
    thoseblueeyes Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    YES! YES! YES ! It's so important. I agree with everyone's comments so I won't repeat it.
  • daniel7121
    daniel7121 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I guess I should have written the topic as "Is excess protein needed?" Because that's my real question :tongue: Thanks for your responses, everybody!
  • JSchleichardt
    Options
    Your muscles need protein!!! Your body can only absorb 24g-30g of protein every 2-3 hours. So there is no reason you should consum more, thats when you start to over load with proteins and get kidney stones. I also know of some GREAT supplements if your still looking.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Your muscles need protein!!! Your body can only absorb 24g-30g of protein every 2-3 hours. So there is no reason you should consum more, thats when you start to over load with proteins and get kidney stones. I also know of some GREAT supplements if your still looking.

The absorption threshold is a myth:

http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/is-there-a-limit-to-how-much-protein-the-body-can-use-in-a-single-meal/

http://www.tomvenuto.com/asktom/protein_grams_per_meal.shtml