Is protein necessary?

Options

Replies

• Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Yes protein is necessary. If you don't get enough through the foods you eat or you chooses to supplement more than protein powder is helpful. Remember the other macro nutrients are important as well.
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    Protein is important to your daily intake. You can get it from natural, whole sources and I do mostly. However, I like to have green smoothies and I add some hemp protein powder to it. I also add a tablespoon of hemp protein powder to my oatmeal; this makes it more filling with way less fat than adding peanut butter or almond butter (not that I don't use that in my diet as well, but I use it sparingly...I'm a small person).
  • downinaggieland98
    downinaggieland98 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I used to get very little protein in my diet and I was flabby and doughy. It was not a good look. I was weak and tired all the time. Now I live off whey protein. It's the only macro that you really need to worry about. Get at least 1g/kg of body weight. Fat and carbs don't really matter that much. You need a little bit of both, but some people like to do low carb and some do low fat. As long as you get protein, carbs and fat are flexible.

I want to lose weigh so I am low fat intake and low carb in take. I would love to do powder which kind do u use and like?

My two cents - We use Optimum Nutrition Natural & love it. Also, don't be scared of the good fats! They will keep you full longer and they are good for you!
  • squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Protien is vital to our diets. Just like dirt is vital to a plant growing. It's just another type of nutrient we need to keep going.

As for protein POWDER specifically- that is not necessary, in my opinion, as long as you are getting your nutrients from somewhere (aka "real food.")

edit to add - I always had trouble reaching my 30% protein goal, except for days where I added a protein shake. But all in all, I'd rather be sourcing from my food rather than a concoction (plus I have yet to find one that tastes yummy). And I'd rather be a little short of my goal than be over and feeling sick from that nasty shake :P
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    I guess I should have written the topic as "Is excess protein needed?" Because that's my real question :tongue: Thanks for your responses, everybody!

Depends on how you define "excess." Studies have consistently shown that an intake at double the RDA is superior for lean mass retention during a caloric deficit.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Protein isn't necessary. Essential amino acids are necessary. Your body can make the rest. However, giving your body a ready supply of protein makes it easier for you to build new muscle. Take a supplement if you want to make sure you are getting enough.

[Note: a single plant protein source generally does not contain all 8 essential amino acids, which is why it is important for vegetarians to eat a variety of protein sources. Soy beans are one exception.]
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Be sure to drink lots of water on a high protein diet to prevent kidney issues. High protein and dehydration as well as a genetic disposition can create kidney issues.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    I guess I should have written the topic as "Is excess protein needed?" Because that's my real question :tongue: Thanks for your responses, everybody!

Depends on how you define "excess." Studies have consistently shown that an intake at double the RDA is superior for lean mass retention during a caloric deficit.

I define excess as "too much"
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Your muscles need protein!!! Your body can only absorb 24g-30g of protein every 2-3 hours. So there is no reason you should consum more, thats when you start to over load with proteins and get kidney stones. I also know of some GREAT supplements if your still looking.

Supplements that you sell by any chance?
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    First of all... You are a male. I don't ever want to hear the word "toning" from you ever again.

Secondly, Your question is unclear. "Is protein necessary?"
    Do you mean do our bodies NEED protein? If so, then YES.
    Do you mean do we need to take a protein supplement? That answer depends on how much protein you actually get in your diet. If you are consuming adequate protein in your diet there is no reason whatsoever to supplement protein. If you are vegetarian or would otherwise NOT hit your protein goal, then sure, supplement it as you would with any other deficiency.

Lasty, You seem like you want to lose body fat and show your current underlying muscle. Consuming adequate protein to maintain as much muscle mass as possible in a caloric deficit is the only way to go. You should be consuming anywhere from .8-1.2 grams of protein per pound of Lean Body Mass (I am not saying you have a lean body here ((why does everyone always think it just means their body weight? Anyway off topic)) i'm saying the amount of body mass you have without FAT. You need to know your body fat percentage to calcuate this).

Start on a lifting regimen, eat adequate protein, profit. :)
  • htherrien0406
    Options
    I always keep whey protein powder in the house. Sometimes after a workout I don't have time to make a high protein meal for recovery and so I make a shake. That said like many of the others have said try not to make it a staple in your diet. It's all about balance :)
  • JessicaBR0
    JessicaBR0 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I've been doing some research on the effects of protein powder and supplements on the body, and while some of the benefits are good, I've seen a lot of warnings about over consuming protein. Things like kidney stones, keep me from buying any sort of protein powder and using it. Anybody have any real long-term experience with protein powder and supplements? Just keep in mind that I'm looking to lose weight and start toning. Thanks MFPs! :)

Protein is necessary, protein powder is not. Unless you already have a pre existing kidney issue, I wouldn't worry about protein intake and kidney problems

^ YES!!
  • hiker359
    hiker359 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I'm a proponent of getting your protein through natural dietary sources rather than through supplementation. A nice chicken breast is so much better than a glass of the best protein powder, in my opinion. That being said, unless you're consuming way beyond 200 grams of protein a day, I wouldn't say you'd need to worry that you're having too much.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I used to get very little protein in my diet and I was flabby and doughy. It was not a good look. I was weak and tired all the time. Now I live off whey protein. It's the only macro that you really need to worry about. Get at least 1g/kg of body weight. Fat and carbs don't really matter that much. You need a little bit of both, but some people like to do low carb and some do low fat. As long as you get protein, carbs and fat are flexible.

I want to lose weigh so I am low fat intake and low carb in take. I would love to do powder which kind do u use and like?

Dietary fat =/= body fat. A high protein, moderate carb and fat diet will be the best. There have been several studies that show low fat diets being the worst type of diet (as compared to low carb). The only fat that is truly bad is trans fats as they body can not process it.. and if you want, limit saturated fat but don't lower fat. Things like sirloins, bison, lamb, chicken, fish, pork , duck, etc.. are all healthy for you.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    I'm a proponent of getting your protein through natural dietary sources rather than through supplementation. A nice chicken breast is so much better than a glass of the best protein powder, in my opinion. That being said, unless you're consuming way beyond 200 grams of protein a day, I wouldn't say you'd need to worry that you're having too much.

Can you please expand on this?
    What makes chicken breast better?
  • Yolanda4160
    Yolanda4160 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    This is good to know. What supplements of powder do you guys find is better then that other? I ask because I don't eat a lot of meat and I could use this in the morning for my self as breakfast. I am looking to lose and tone also thenks

As a female (not looking to bulk up- just tone and lose fat) I like GNC Pro Performance® AMP Amplified Wheybolic Extreme 60™ - comes in different flavors
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    First of all... You are a male. I don't ever want to hear the word "toning" from you ever again.

I actually snorted my coffee out of my nose! Kudos.....
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options

You can fill it with mature cheddar cheese and wrap it in smokey bacon and roast it until it's mouth-wateringly moist and tender..... I defy you to do this with a protein shake
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options

It certainly ain't bioavailability of the protein
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    This is good to know. What supplements of powder do you guys find is better then that other? I ask because I don't eat a lot of meat and I could use this in the morning for my self as breakfast. I am looking to lose and tone also thenks

As a female (not looking to bulk up- just tone and loss fat) I like GNC Pro Performance® AMP Amplified Wheybolic Extreme 60™ - Chocolate

What does being a female have to do with the protein powder being recommended?