Healthy or Not? Nature Valley Protein Bars

Options
So, I'm starting dieting. I'm trying to pick healthy snacks. I mean, compared to McDonalds fries its gotta be a better choice right. I'm not a body builder or super health buff, just trying to shed pounds.

So, is this a good snack or a candy bar in disguize. They try and be so tricky these days with marketing.

Calories 190
from fat 110
Fat 12g
Sat Fat 3.5g
Sodium 170g
FIBER 5g
PROTEIN 10g
SUGAR 6 g.

Replies

• alviar26
    alviar26 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I went to a nutritionist a couple weeks ago and she actually suggested these as a great snack. She said that if I follow the diabetic eating plan (watching carbs) that the weight should 'fall off'. (we shall see!) For my height, weight, etc. I should have max, 45g carbs at meals and 15-30g at snacks, so these fall in the 15g Carbs at snack plus have protein.
  • Goal_Driven
    Goal_Driven Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I've started looking at these too, haven't tried them yet though but I will soon
  • adkmountainguy
    adkmountainguy Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    For something claiming to be a protein bar, they're kinda light on actual protein content. For a comparable, take a look at quest bars. Comparable on calories (160-200) depending on the flavor, and 20g protein.
  • Masq
    Masq Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I'm sure they aren't the most healthy thing you can eat.... they are still processed. However, I don't think they are the worst either. Personally, I love them and think it's great they have 10g of protein. :wink:
  • lasmit4477
    lasmit4477 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    You also need to look at the ingredients when taking in account as something being "healthy".
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Almost certainly better than french fries, but whether or not something is healthy should be considered in the context of your overall diet.
  • wildhehr2
    wildhehr2 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Not the best, but not the worst, and certainly more budget friendly than many. I buy these all the time for my kids, as the dr suggested it (of note--my kids aren't trying to lose weight--between all their activities, the dr suggested this to help them keep the weight on that they've got so they can grow). I eat them as well, and like them because they do kinda have a candy bar flavor to them. Some days, it's what I need.
  • Kelly_Runs_NC
    Kelly_Runs_NC Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Try Zone Perfect bars. Much better nutritional stats.
  • Yukongil
    Yukongil Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    a lot of fat for a snack bar. Make your own.
  • Cdoug99
    Cdoug99 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Well, they taste incredibly good, that's what made me doubt. I tried a Cliff bar once...and eww yuck. I'd rather not eat.
  • Cdoug99
    Options
    Do quest bars or zone bars taste anything like cliff bars? The ingredients in this bar are:peanuts, soy protein isolate, chicory root extract, sugar, vegetable oil, whey protein concentrate, high maltose corn sryup, cocoa, fructose, peanut butter,...............
  • opaquewhite
    opaquewhite Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Check out fooducate.com, it has great insight into whats good and bad, and can even suggest better alternatives! I have the app on my phone as well, and I go nuts with it when food shopping! You can just scan the barcode and it gives you the info right there.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    Healthy is a bit of a relative term. Based on what you've presented it seems like a perfectly fine snack as far as *I'm* concerned. It's got 190 calories, which is an ok amount for a snack, imo. For that 190 calories you're getting 10g,of protein which isn't shabby given the amount of fat, both of which should help one feel sated.

The "quality" of ingredients, at least for something like this, is something I'd rather not tackle as it usually just ends up being a can of worms for people who like over think questions like this.
  • Cdoug99
    Options
    Thanks for the Fooducate.com I just put it on my phone!
  • kels67camaro
    Options
    I LOVE the quest protein bars!!!!!! A tranier at my gym who does body compititons recommened them. They have great flavors (apple pie, brownie, coconut cashew, pbj, etc) and some of them are even better when you heat them up in the microwave!
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Do quest bars or zone bars taste anything like cliff bars? The ingredients in this bar are:peanuts, soy protein isolate, chicory root extract, sugar, vegetable oil, whey protein concentrate, high maltose corn sryup, cocoa, fructose, peanut butter,...............

I don't think I've ever had a cliff bar, but I'm a big fan of quest bars. They're probably the least processed bar out there.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    I was told if sugar is within the first three ingredients, no good...
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options

With sugar, high maltose corn syrup AND fructose, I would say a candy bar is actually probably healthier, lol.
  • PhilyPhresh
    PhilyPhresh Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    You also need to look at the ingredients when taking in account as something being "healthy".

:drinker: I was just about to say that exact thing!
  • AddieOverhaul
    AddieOverhaul Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I love the apple crisp one. Mmmm. I find they satisy my sweet craving and are better than eating a chocolate bar!