Healthy or Not? Nature Valley Protein Bars

Options

Replies

• newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I tend to stay away from granola/protein bars. If I need a protein boost, I mix Syntha 6 (vanilla ice cream flavor) with coconut milk. I just find that the calories are too high to make it worth it and that's most likely due to sugar content. For 190 calories I could have that protein bar or I could have 2 wasa crackers, a wedge of Laughing Cow Light Swiss and a pear. I'd rather the wasa, laughing cow & pear. I also tend to shy away from things like that that are so heavily processed.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    Do quest bars or zone bars taste anything like cliff bars? The ingredients in this bar are:peanuts, soy protein isolate, chicory root extract, sugar, vegetable oil, whey protein concentrate, high maltose corn sryup, cocoa, fructose, peanut butter,...............

With sugar, high maltose corn syrup AND fructose, I would say a candy bar is actually probably healthier, lol.

Seems a little superficial.

EDIT: for example, a kit kat bar has 20g of sugars (this has 6) and has no fiber (this has 5g) with 3g of protein (this has 10g).
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    I'm sure they aren't the most healthy thing you can eat.... they are still processed. However, I don't think they are the worst either. Personally, I love them and think it's great they have 10g of protein. :wink:

Personal opinion:
    I prefer natural food sources for my macros whenever possible. However, those bars are part of my strategy to get a quck boost of protein at an economical price. I also have protein powder but I use that less often. I also use FiberOne bars and clear/tasteless fiber powder when I need to fill in a fiber gap as well.
  • CasablancasTX
    Options
    Processed junk. High maltose corn syrup is very closely related to high fructose corn syrup, so I would avoid it. That stuff is used in Fiber One bars too.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I eat them, they're very tasty! There are protein bars out there that have more protein in them but I find I don't like their taste or what they do to my digestive system :sick:

The most important thing to me when choosing snacks is - does it fit into my overall calorie goal? does it fit into my macros? and of course does it taste good!!
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    Processed junk. High maltose corn syrup is very closely related to high fructose corn syrup, so I would avoid it. That stuff is used in Fiber One bars too.

AGREED ^^^^ , pretty much all granola bars are junk
  • robin820
    robin820 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    the dark chocolate peanut butter ones are fabulous! great source of protein with a healthy diet.
  • AmberJo1984
    AmberJo1984 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    These have been a lifesaver for me. I love them... and, they are full of protein which keep me going longer than other snacks... which means lower calories overall. :happy:
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Yes it's true, it's a highly processed bar so if you're trying to 'eat clean' it may not be the way to go for you. For all others - I find it's a better choice than a candy bar because of the calorie count is a lot less.
  • BogQueen1
    BogQueen1 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    You have to watch that chicory root stuff as well. It's a cheap fiber source that the first few times you eat it, it kind of makes your body do a 'dafuq is this?'

I like the fiber one oats and peanut butter bars, but that's only because they are sweet. I have no illusions about them being a health food, and 10g of protein, well, in the world of protein bars, that's low.
  • mamasitaroja
    mamasitaroja Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    These bars TASTE FANTASTIC, and given the amount of calories I am putting out, and the crap I could also choose to put in while completing my extremely busy day, I find that these have been awarded *good to go* status for me. But it's a personal choice for everyone. I keep these stashed in my car specifically for the days where I look at the clock, realize it's been 5-6 hours since I last remembered to eat, and I can feel grouch-mode coming on as I pick up the kids from school. Quick fix, shareable, what's not to like? :)

If you ask me, I say DIG IN! :)
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of quest bars too. 20g of protein and if you have any issues getting enough fiber they will fix that too. Check them out.

Too much sugar in Nature Valley.
  • mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    Well, they taste incredibly good, that's what made me doubt. I tried a Cliff bar once...and eww yuck. I'd rather not eat.
    What flavor did you try? There are a few Clif bars that I don't like, either, but most of them I find to be very tasty. Zone Perfect Chocolate Almond Raisin is a fave of mine as well.
    Calories: 210
    Total Fat: 7g
    Chol: <5mg
    Sodium: 250mg
    Potassium: 150mg
    Total Carb: 23g
    Fiber: <1g
    Sugars: 17g
    Protein: 15g
    With the higher carbs & sugars, I suppose you might want to use this as more than a snack, since I believe you said you were recommended to keep the carbs for snacks at 15g? But I love that these are so very tasty and have 15g of protein. I use them as snacks pretty frequently, but I'm also not necessarily restricting carbs (other than trying to keep that macro at 45%) and I'm also on maintenance, to the few extra calories aren't as big a deal.
  • shoppingdiva2011
    shoppingdiva2011 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I tried these Nature Valley Protein Bars thinking if I got more protein in my diet I would stay full for a snack but they are GROSS. Too hard. I would rather have fruit, almonds such as Emerald Dry Roasted and string cheese. YUCK YUCK YUCK but their other bars are good:laugh:
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    I have 2 of them every single day! I eat them mostly because they are tasty, and the 10g of protein is an added benefit. I always have one or two in my purse at all times, just incase I can't stop somewhere and eat.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Healthy is relative to the overall diet and amount.

I'd say they are fine, but it also depends on what you eat them for. If you eat them for yummy goodness, then they seem fine. If you eat them to load up on carbs, then WRONG. If you eat them for protein, there are better sources of protein but they do offer a variety and its good to mix things up. If you eat them for fats, they are high in fat which could be good if you lack fats in other areas of your diet.
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    For a judgment of true "health" I would look at the ingredients and see what the situation is in regards to processed or modified ingredients. BUT as you mentioned, a snack like that is still way better than something like fries. I don't eat things like that daily because I'm trying to eat mostly clean, but if I'm craving something sweet like a candy bar, I'll go for one of those or the Fiber One Chocolate & Oats bars- that way I get my sweet fix without completely overloading on crap.
  • Cdoug99
    Cdoug99 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    What are Macros? I've read that a few times in posts.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    What are Macros? I've read that a few times in posts.

It's short for "macronutrient" (protein, carbs, fats). Depending on what your goals and activities look like, the composition of those macros may play a lesser or greater role in your food consumption.
  • sherylhs
    sherylhs Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Check out fooducate.com, it has great insight into whats good and bad, and can even suggest better alternatives! I have the app on my phone as well, and I go nuts with it when food shopping! You can just scan the barcode and it gives you the info right there.

Thanks! Looks very helpful!
    ~S