Paleo/ clean eating for Thanksgiving

Options
2»

Replies

• CrazyCatLadylovescats
    Options
    I do Primal, which is really close to Paleo - I search for Paleo recipes all the time as that gives more results.

Here is what I will be fixing: Turkey, roasted Brussel sprouts, pumpkin custard (in crock pot.) Probably will have stuffed mushrooms, and some kind of green beans, like garlic green beans. Probably a fruit salad with real whipped cream and either frozen or fresh berries. Oh, and Moma Stanburg Cranberry Horseradish sauce, which is fairly paleo.

I will be making small amounts of non-primal mashed potatoes with extra cream and garlic, stuffing and cranberry sauce. I may make a half sized pecan pie, but load it with real whipped cream. My goal is to have as little of left overs as I can of the non-primal foods.

We will have curries, taco salad, and soups for the left overs.

And all of you making fun of this...quit it, unless you have tried it for more than 30 days. If what you are doing is working for you with grains, that is fine. Some of us for medical needs or just because it works best for us, do better eating this way. My eating lots of meat, fats and no grains means I am losing weight and am not hungry. Other things didn't work, this does.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I wait ALL YEAR for my thanksgiving stuffing. I bake the bread and cornbread myself and make it with tons of butter. I realize this doesn't help your goal, but I would rather die than skip thanksgiving stuffing.
  • Ironphoenix
    Options
    Dare I suggest that you should try it before you decide it's a "fad diet" etc.. It actually does make a difference to many of us! So if you don't have a recipe or anything useful to say maybe you should leave it for the people that can support her in her attempt to eat a healthy thanksgiving! Isn't that the point of MFP? To support each other and to be healthy?
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I wait ALL YEAR for my thanksgiving stuffing. I bake the bread and cornbread myself and make it with tons of butter. I realize this doesn't help your goal, but I would rather die than skip thanksgiving stuffing.

ME TOO!!! I bake the bread and cornbread a couple of days in advance. Yes to tons of butter!
  • gddrdld
    gddrdld Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    We are having a wild turkey, sweet potatoes, roasted pumpkin soup, cranberry salsa, collard greens and I will make my husband some home made yeast rolls to go along with the rest of the food.

i will be making a sweet potato and pumpkin pie with nut crusts.

In for Wild Turkey.

I thought paleos couldn't drink hooch though.

We are not talking Wild Turkey as in the whiskey..............I am talking about a wild turkey that was freshly killed during turkey hunting season.

Ooohhhh...Is that what you meant by a "Wild Turkey"?? Yeah, I'm pretty sure he was making a joke. But, thanks for clarifying for all the competely clueless peeps!
  • sjohnny
    Options
    We are having a wild turkey, sweet potatoes, roasted pumpkin soup, cranberry salsa, collard greens and I will make my husband some home made yeast rolls to go along with the rest of the food.

i will be making a sweet potato and pumpkin pie with nut crusts.

In for Wild Turkey.

I thought paleos couldn't drink hooch though.

We are not talking Wild Turkey as in the whiskey..............I am talking about a wild turkey that was freshly killed during turkey hunting season.

Ooohhhh...Is that what you meant by a "Wild Turkey"?? Yeah, I'm pretty sure he was making a joke. But, thanks for clarifying for all the competely clueless peeps!

I never joke about whiskey.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options

Marry me.
  • nikbolok
    nikbolok Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Dare I suggest that you should try it before you decide it's a "fad diet" etc.. It actually does make a difference to many of us! So if you don't have a recipe or anything useful to say maybe you should leave it for the people that can support her in her attempt to eat a healthy thanksgiving! Isn't that the point of MFP? To support each other and to be healthy?

True there! If I was not vegetarian, I would have an easier time with paleo. I do the best I can :(. And technically, Tequila is paleo. As is wine, red (white wine has more sugars). Although if you are going to do the #Whole30, nothing like that is allowed. I am unfortunately going to have a Thanksgiving packed with bad buffet food and heartburn after. Get to see my family however, and spend the weekend hiking. So, it's an overall win.

“Eat meats and vegetables, nuts and seeds, some fruit, little starch and no sugar. Keep intake to levels that support exercise but not body fat.” -Coach Greg Glassman, Founder of CrossFit
  • sjohnny
    Options

Marry me.

Teeheehee. Oh you.
  • alaskaang
    alaskaang Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Any tried-and-true or can't-wait-test-it recipe ideas for Thanksgiving? Share them if you have them, please.....

We are going to have as close to traditional favorites as possible without including wheat and dairy. Turkey, sweet potatoes, roasted veggies with garlic & olive oil, homemade cranberry chutney, and a stuffing/dressing made with wild rice instead of bread.

For desserts I'm going to make two pies with pecan/coconut crusts, one pumpkin and the other an experimental chocolate pecan pie based on a flourless chocolate cake recipe combined with dates, maple syrup and pecans.
  • sblueyez
    sblueyez Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Woah I feel like you got a ton of rude replies. If you don't do Paleo, keep your mouth shut because you aren't helping. Don't knock it til you try it. Paleo saved my life.

We are having turkey, crab stuffed mushrooms, bacon deviled eggs, roasted Brussels sprouts, and Paleo pumpkin pie.
  • CrazyCatLadylovescats
    Options
    Mmm, crab stuffed mushrooms sounds great!
  • tacticalhippie
    tacticalhippie Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Eat turkey like it's my job!!
  • saakakas
    Options
    I been using http://getnow.org/paleo cookbook and it cost me very cheap. Lost ton of weight and gained muscles!