Crossfit Thoughts

Options
I have been looking at trying Cross-fit. I was an athlete but now I am very out of shape.

Any thoughts out there for beginners?

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    e1e53215dff61e3c3efc93282bf65ef3.gif
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    I have been looking at trying Cross-fit. I was an athlete but now I am very out of shape.

Any thoughts out there for beginners?

Practice strict form to minimize chance of injuries
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    try and find a box that insists that you take a 2-3 week intro course. they'll teach you the basics and get you started. it's good so that you know what you are doing when you join the regular classes, and so you don't slow the classes down.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    I think doing dynamic movements beyond technical failure is a big, big problem.
  • dreilingda
    dreilingda Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I think doing dynamic movements beyond technical failure is a big, big problem.

It sure is trendy though. That's something...
  • Jindra12
    Jindra12 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Why don't you join Crossfi group on MFP? You'll get better responses over there.
  • blinkinglight
    Options
    There are good CF gyms, and bad ones. The problem with CF is that the individual gyms aren't regulated. Find a good CF gym with good programming and I think it's amazing. I don't think you should join CF "because one opened down the street" because that doesn't mean it's a quality place. I know you didn't say that, but it's what I hear a lot. Check out a few of them, interview the owners and go from there :)
  • WRXymama
    WRXymama Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    There are good CF gyms, and bad ones. The problem with CF is that the individual gyms aren't regulated. Find a good CF gym with good programming and I think it's amazing. I don't think you should join CF "because one opened down the street" because that doesn't mean it's a quality place. I know you didn't say that, but it's what I hear a lot. Check out a few of them, interview the owners and go from there :)

I couldnt agree more with this statement. I got a XFit membership for a gym that was just down the street from work...24/7 and CHEAP. I went in there and was COMPLETELY clueless as to what I was doing, and there were NO regular classes, just "join in when you can with our group". The one time I did, I was the same weight in fat than then "bulky" guys were in muscle, and the gym owner was incrediblely NOT helpful. My one negative experience turned me off enough to it. Do I think that xfit works and is great, HELL YES I do! Was it for me? Not so much.
  • petstorekitty
    petstorekitty Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    my friend joined crossfit and her legs got all huge and she cried. I guess she hasn't lots much fat. Sad but that's what you get for doing trendy things.

I'll agree with the "it depends on the gym" reply, however. Apparently some people love it because of the community. *shrug*

The idea of doing crazy-hard workouts sounds fun to me, but I am not even about to pay $$$ to do group workouts that make my legs all huge.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    get your form DOWN before starting. yes there is a 2 week on ramp course, but they fly through stuff. most movements you need to do hundreds if not a thousand times for it to be second nature to your body, especially the super technical moves like snatches. i would suggest learning the basics like squats (front and back), deadlifts, pull ups, push ups, situps, cleans, push presses, KB swings, jerks, snatches etc before even starting the onramp class. because once you have to there, you're essentially learning it with a weight (even though it can be scaled0 as well as being asked to do it for time

i recently took an on ramp class and before the end we had 2 injuries in my 6 person, a 3rd person recently hurt her back during a class doing snatches for time. so basically half my class got injured. of ther 3 other people who were left, 1 guy stopped going and the other 2 of us still go BUT we both have 10+ years of solid weight lifting and olympic lifting training.

with that said, i love crossfit. i'm definitely not lifting as much weight as i would during my heavy lifting days, but i like the comraderie of it plus it's forcing me to work on my cardio and endurance more. i'm also a former athlete and a lot of it reminds me of the group off season workouts we'd have for rugby
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    my friend joined crossfit and her legs got all huge and she cried. I guess she hasn't lots much fat. Sad but that's what you get for doing trendy things.

I'll agree with the "it depends on the gym" reply, however. Apparently some people love it because of the community. *shrug*

The idea of doing crazy-hard workouts sounds fun to me, but I am not even about to pay $$$ to do group workouts that make my legs all huge.

PicardDoubleFacepalm-1.jpg?1316330080
  • dane11235813
    dane11235813 Posts: 684 Member
    Options

:huh:
  • journalistjen
    journalistjen Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the info--I've been wanting to try it too.
  • mrstravisjones
    mrstravisjones Posts: 104 Member
    Options

I'm sorry for your friend's experience, but my thighs have shrunk quite a few inches in the last 5 months I've been doing crossfit. My waist is narrower, and I've gone down 2 pants sizes.

I guess some classes don't slow down to teach beginners, but I've never felt lost in mine. And I am far from being a physically fit athlete.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    my friend joined crossfit and her legs got all huge and she cried. I guess she hasn't lots much fat.

sorry but this is hilarious to me..:laugh: maybe she's eating more food . i'm actually one of those girls who easily gain muscle and i can tell you that muscle doesn't make your legs huge, fat makes your legs huge... and considering that most of the weights are only like 30-50% of someone's 1 rep max it's hard to build based on that

maybe your friend goes nomnomnomnom too much after crossfit?
  • cjosenga
    cjosenga Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Check this out. It's long, but moving.
    CrossFit - Transforming a Reservation - YouTube
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options

Your friend was eating too much! I'm not a fan of Cross Fit, but her results were caused by food!
  • DarkAngellEyes
    DarkAngellEyes Posts: 335 Member
    Options

This. Exactly this.

Just don't let the haters and nay-sayers deter you... if its something you're interested in - check it out. Then decide for yourself if its something you want to pursue.