Is there such a thing as to much water?

Options
2»

Replies

• hamonk
    hamonk Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    no... well i mean technically there is but its unattainable unless you serriously try to over consume water to uncomfortable levels... drink as much water as u want.

Drinking enough to kill you may be really hard, but drinking enough to cause problems isn't that hard, especially when people are strictly limiting sodium and consuming a lot of water.
    My friend threw her electrolytes off by drinking too much water and eating a "clean" diet. She wasn't trying hard to consume uncomfortable amounts of water but she did drink a lot.

if you are limiting sodium.. you are either a pro un-natural bodybuilder,or an idiot.

There are tons of people on this site who limit their sodium. Especially those who follow the Tosco Reno style Eat Clean diet. Here are just as many who preach the benefits of drinking copious amounts of water.

what benefits are there to limiting sodium below recomended daily intake...

What is a healthy amount of Sodium to have each day?

I drink ALOT of water and Herbal Tea (which is really just water I've been told) each day. I love water, I easily drink 3-4 liters(12-16 cups) a day. Now I'm wondering if I should force myself to cut back. I only drink when I am thirsty but I don't drink anything else.

the recomended amount is 2000mg a day but it ofcourse depends on age and activity level... if you are active or younger you need more etc.. but the main thing with sodium is that you need to be consistant with it.. so if you want to eat 3500mg sodium a day thats fine but stay consistant because its the release of the hormone aldesterone to regulate sodium levels that is what is ultimately more harmfull and could cause water retention so if you eat higher sodium then stay that way and dont eat more than ur normal amount so season ur food the same, and if you choose to eat lower sodium then do the same thing.

Thanks for the info! :) I looked back on all my food diaries and am hitting 1500-1700 on average each day.
  • Yukongil
    Yukongil Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    as others have said, except in the most extreme cases, there really is no danger. With that said, if you are drinking "too much" water, it can be a warning sign for some things, most namely diabetes. Before I was diagnosed I was drinking probably 2 to 3 gallons a day easy. I'd down a 20 oz water bottle in 15 seconds and then still be thirsty. I just told myself, I just REALLY liked water. Once I pulled my head from my @$$ and was diagnosed, and got my sugars under control, that craving for water is no completely gone, to the point now, where I don't drink nearly enough water. My little cup thingy on my food diary hasn't been filled to the top in months. I just don't want to drink anything and have to force myself to drink a cup of water now, whereas before like I said I was a bottomless well.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Precomp I drink 10 litre a day for 4-5 days, spread throughout the day. Yes of course you can damage and kill yourself with water, as with anything but the actual process without chemical help is somewhat difficult and so unlikely.
  • RachelWest86
    Options
    I have heard that if you divide your body weight (in pounds) in half, that's how many ounces of water you should drink a day.

This is what I've been told, and it puts me at 8 c. a day (which, considering the size of my glasses, is about 4 glasses a day).
  • EllieLou357
    EllieLou357 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Yes you can, if you drink too much water and your body cannot digest it fast enough it will back up in your system and it is considered drowning yourself! Crazy right???