DIETING AND HAIR LOSS

Options
I have changed my way of eating and life since this past May , but I have noticed that lately my hair seems to be everywhere. Has anyone else experienced these problems? What can I do to fix it?

Replies

• ReNewYou
    Options
    I have noticed this too. I am not sure how the two are related. I would like to see what others have to say.
  • navydentalchic
    navydentalchic Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Hi! It is hard to really say without seeing your diary, what amount of calories are you consuming? Some people I have seen on the boards went through it when they were eating very few calories, and not getting enough nutrients. Are you taking a good vitamin as well?
  • Edie121
    Edie121 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Are you getting enough protein in?
  • luvaham
    luvaham Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Have you gone totally fat free because if you have that could cause hair loss. So its important that you include at least some healthy fat in your diet. And I did say healthy fat.
  • IzzyBmydog
    IzzyBmydog Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Hair loss has been one of my biggest problems concerning dieting. I was on a commercial (JC) program a few years and lost 20 lbs. For some reason my began falling out really a lot. This was especially true when would take a shower. I would have mini pony tails of hair coming out. I contributed it to the dieting. Well over the years I have been on and off diets and my hair has never regained it's volume. With dieting I am careful to take extra biotin and hair supplements. Watch your protien and taking Omega vitamins will help.
  • MommaKit79
    Options
    I have had these problems too. I would keep an eye on things. I decided since it was so crazy to get my hair cut last Dec and my Hair dresser found a couple bald spots on my head so, I went to my dr. I know my hormone levels were a little crazy but, I also have some thyroid issues as well, which is most likely where it is coming from. I have had testing and got put on meds and it is helping. My large bald spot is growing back and I notice that whilest there has been a LOT that has come out, I see little pieces of hair growing so, what has fallen out does start to grow back.

I dont want to scare you but, that was MY problem. You may also want to make sure you are getting all your vitamins and your oils as well in your diet. Believe it or not, oils in your diet is very important for skin and hair. My dermatologist also had me get a supplement called Biotin...it is supposed to help with hair, nails, and skin. I have been taking it for about a month or 2 and have noticed a difference in my nails...havent checked my head yet.

If it is that much of a bothersome problem like mine was, I would definetely talk to your doctor and/or go see a dermatologist. GOOD LUCK!!!!
  • tistal
    tistal Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I had TONS of hair loss. To the point I was really really worried. Started eating more nuts and olive oil and taking my multi vitamin and Biotin and it started coming back!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Hi! It is hard to really say without seeing your diary, what amount of calories are you consuming? Some people I have seen on the boards went through it when they were eating very few calories, and not getting enough nutrients. Are you taking a good vitamin as well?

^^ This

Malnutrition can cause hair loss. Malnutrition can occur when your calories are too low.
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    The above posts are all correct you need to ensure you are getting enough:

1) Calories (generally this means netting at least 1200 / day)
    2) Fat. Extreme low fat diets cause hair loss and dry skin
    3) Protein - its what your hair is made of, after all

:-)
  • MommaKit79
    Options
    Hair loss has been one of my biggest problems concerning dieting. I was on a commercial (JC) program a few years and lost 20 lbs. For some reason my began falling out really a lot. This was especially true when would take a shower. I would have mini pony tails of hair coming out. I contributed it to the dieting. Well over the years I have been on and off diets and my hair has never regained it's volume. With dieting I am careful to take extra biotin and hair supplements. Watch your protien and taking Omega vitamins will help.

I used to have really thick hair and now I dont. I only HOPE to get a part of that volume back but, I doubt it! :(
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    Eating too few calories and not enough fat are common causes of hair loss.
  • Smokey19
    Smokey19 Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    When I first started losing wt...after about 4 mos. my hair was falling out all over the place and breaking off. I started taking vitamin D because it was really low. I am on 10,000 IU a day. I am also on multiple vitamins everyday along with biotin. I also take magnesium and calcium citrate every day. My hair started filling out and stopped breaking off. I also had to increase my protein intake to 75-100 gms a day. These were all recommendations from my physician. I hope that this helps you out.
  • emily_bird
    Options
    Malnutrition can cause hair loss. Eating too few calories or drastic yoyo dieting can also cause hair loss. Other factor include stress, hormonal imbalances and other forms of illness. You might not be having enough protein which your hair needs to grow and repair - the same for the right, healthy oils. Foods that are good for your hair are : oats, potatoes, rice, avocado,protein, sunflower seeds , olive oil , bananas. Remember, you want healthy fats and oils. It's quality over quantity. Gelatine is fantastic for hair growth and repair, as well as for your nails. Try to get good brands of jelly/jello and add it to your diet if you can't get pure gelatine powder.Try Putting some olive oil in your hair and let it rest on your scalp for a half an hour before thoroughly washing. There are other natural foods and oils that are really good for hair repair. Also, you could have an allergy to the shampoo that you are using. Check that out as well. Seriously, don't try and cut down your alories that they are too low. Speaking from experience, it backfires and it can really mess with your metabolism as well. Plus, it can stop you or slow you down drastically from losing weight as your body has gone into starvation mode.
  • TiltingAtWindmills
    Options
    Bump.
    Thanks for posting this! The responses have been quite helpful!
  • IzzyBmydog
    Options

I used to have really thick hair and now I dont. I only HOPE to get a part of that volume back but, I doubt it! :(
    I feel ya...sad that it happens to us women so often. Especially difficult since our hair is our crown of glory...oh well...I guess that's why hair extensions have become so popular...
  • IzzyBmydog
    Options
    Malnutrition can cause hair loss. Eating too few calories or drastic yoyo dieting can also cause hair loss. Other factor include stress, hormonal imbalances and other forms of illness. You might not be having enough protein which your hair needs to grow and repair - the same for the right, healthy oils. Foods that are good for your hair are : oats, potatoes, rice, avocado,protein, sunflower seeds , olive oil , bananas. Remember, you want healthy fats and oils. It's quality over quantity. Gelatine is fantastic for hair growth and repair, as well as for your nails. Try to get good brands of jelly/jello and add it to your diet if you can't get pure gelatine powder.Try Putting some olive oil in your hair and let it rest on your scalp for a half an hour before thoroughly washing. There are other natural foods and oils that are really good for hair repair. Also, you could have an allergy to the shampoo that you are using. Check that out as well. Seriously, don't try and cut down your alories that they are too low. Speaking from experience, it backfires and it can really mess with your metabolism as well. Plus, it can stop you or slow you down drastically from losing weight as your body has gone into starvation mode.
    This is helpful- thank you for the tips.
  • emily_bird
    Options
    Glad I could help.

Forget to mention, that the olive oil must be EXTRA VIRGIN or at least virgin. It has to be the proper stuff to work.
  • cd102875
    cd102875 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I lost 40 lbs about 4 years ago... then my hair got thin... I also bought a Chili and Rosemary shampoo they sell at Walmart which makes your hair grow fast then stops it from thining,,,, I lost 25 pound in 2012 within 3 months my hair did it again.. I using the shampoo then my hair is sprouting it works =)
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I lost 40 lbs about 4 years ago... then my hair got thin... I also bought a Chili and Rosemary shampoo they sell at Walmart which makes your hair grow fast then stops it from thining,,,, I lost 25 pound in 2012 within 3 months my hair did it again.. I using the shampoo then my hair is sprouting it works =)
    what brand is that shampoo? ive noticed mine thinning, even though i take multivitamins and eat plenty.
  • cd102875
    cd102875 Posts: 6 Member
    Options