2»

Replies

• darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Interesting stuff!
  • Ashleyyyb93
    Options
    I've had this too!! I am not eating enough on a daily basis and also not getting enough of the nutrients I need to survive. Perhaps look into your food diary and see where you may be lacking??

If it doesn't improve...see your doctor?? x x
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    It's just a myth.....:embarassed:
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRfdQRlQ25mh55-L45o0E8FSQ4iHlvGUMpSnutMmJAe0eZB3iGjIQ
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    check out WebMD for some help.

Also, eating healthy does not cause hair loss but genetics do.

My grandma was wearing wigs by her 40s.

:(

Get a hair cut, use a weekly hair mask, and make sure to take your vitamins.
  • elsinora
    elsinora Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    The only time that happened to me was when i was being stupid and exercising excessively and not eating very much and starting losing my hair ....
  • AckieJ
    AckieJ Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • jlbeals
    jlbeals Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I haven't noticed thinning hair, but my fingernails got more brittle for a little while (I usually have very strong nails). Over the past few weeks that's improved.

I would definitely make sure you're eating enough and taking a multi-vitamin. Perhaps consult a doctor?
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    As already mentioned: FAT and PROTEIN, eat lots, every day. Don't be afraid of natural saturated fats such as coconut oil and grass fed/wild animals. Contrary to what we have been told for 30 years or more, saturated fat is healthy and required for optimal health. If you are eating in a healthy way, then you should NOT be losing more hair than normal. It's more important to focus on health first and the weight loss will follow; at least that's how it's working for me.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    For some people iron deficiency can also cause hair loss. Have your doctor check your iron and hormone levels just to make sure.

I experienced hair loss over the course of a month. I was eating over 2000 calories, getting lots of protein and vitamin rich foods. I experienced it because of stress. It was traumatic stress (not regular daily stress), so I made it a priority to reduce stress as much as I could, to be calm, take deep breaths, meditate, and just overall manage my life and emotions in a good and healthy way. And that has had benefits to me far beyond my healthy hair. I also took silica gel to help with healthy hair growth, skin and nails. My hair started growing back in right away (since it was only from stress).
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Common problems are:

Diet related:
    not enough fat in the diet
    not enough calories in the diet
    vitamin deficiencies (specifically vitamin A, B12 and Biotin)
    not enough protein
    not enough iodine (are you severely restricting sodium while working out hard?)

Non-diet related:
    hormonal problems
    Thyroid problems
    Alopecia areata
    Scalp infections
    Other skin disorders. Diseases that can cause scarring, such as lichen planus and some types of lupus, can result in permanent hair loss where the scars occur.
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    It happens to me too.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    you're probably not eating enough (probably eating far below your BMR?) and not giving your body adequate nutrients. hair isn't as an essential thing as keeping your organs working so if you aren't eating enough to sustain the basics then you'll get hair loss.

for the record my hair skin and nails are all doing just fine, but then again i've only decreased my calories to 5-10% below TDEE which leads to slower weight loss, but i'm not doing any damage.
  • GoldenSpider
    GoldenSpider Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    It could be your diet, BUT, I will tell you, about three years ago, I switched to a largely vegetarian diet. My hair started coming out so much, I had to put clumps of it on the side ledge of the shower so I wouldn't clog the drain. I thought it was diet all that time, until I got my blood and hormones tested. Just like how women lose hair after giving birth because of hormone shifts and progesterone/estrogen imbalance, I had coincidentally also abruptly stopped taking birth control pills after 14 years when it started. This was the reason, not my diet at all. There are many factors in hair loss. I encourage you to find the reason quickly, so you won't be like me, now, three years later, with all lengths of baby hairs flying this way and that on the crown of my head, looking like an idiot, because I denied I had a problem and let my hair fall out for over a year.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    I lost 40 lbs about 4 years ago... then my hair got thin... I also bought a Chili and Rosemary shampoo they sell at Walmart which makes your hair grow fast then stops it from thining,,,, I lost 25 pound in 2012 within 3 months my hair did it again.. I using the shampoo then my hair is sprouting it works =)
    what brand is that shampoo? ive noticed mine thinning, even though i take multivitamins and eat plenty.

No shampoo will prevent hair loss, regardless of grandiose claims. It is completely a nutritional issue. Multivitamins do not replace a healthy diet (not saying that you said that). It is absolutely essential to eat enough fat (including healthy saturated fat) and one thing that many dieters are doing, unfortunatetly, is minimizing their fat intake. The negative health issues of a low fat diet go far beyond hair loss. Your body is trying to tell you something.
  • alexbusnello
    alexbusnello Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    This is totally me. My hair is super thin now.

does it grow back once you eat more?
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    It could be your diet, BUT, I will tell you, about three years ago, I switched to a largely vegetarian diet. My hair started coming out so much, I had to put clumps of it on the side ledge of the shower so I wouldn't clog the drain. I thought it was diet all that time, until I got my blood and hormones tested. Just like how women lose hair after giving birth because of hormone shifts and progesterone/estrogen imbalance, I had coincidentally also abruptly stopped taking birth control pills after 14 years when it started. This was the reason, not my diet at all. There are many factors in hair loss. I encourage you to find the reason quickly, so you won't be like me, now, three years later, with all lengths of baby hairs flying this way and that on the crown of my head, looking like an idiot, because I denied I had a problem and let my hair fall out for over a year.

Stopping bc gave you a negative side effect like hair falling out.. I don't buy it. In that case, I should be bald since I've been off bc for 20 years. (Yes, I'm exaggerating.) Stopping birth control is generally a positive thing for our bodies. If you are a vegetarian, do you consume soy in large amounts? If so, then it's similar to being on bc. I'm not suggesting that your experience is invalid, but I think your conclusion that it wasn't diet related may be incorrect. My opinion only.

Having read/heard many accounts about negative health issue of vegetarian, and especially vegan, diets directly from people who ate that way for years, has convinced me that our bodies generally deteriorate from such a diet. Hair loss would be a good first sign of a poor diet.
  • zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Watch your fat, watch your protein, watch your overall calories. Make sure you're getting enough.
    Try a prenatal multi-vitamin and take it with a meal that includes fat (for fat-soluble vitamins).
    Ask your doctor. It could be something hormonal.
    Have you recently gone on or off birth control? That can have an affect on your hair.
    Coconut oil is good for your hair. Eat it and put it on your hair as a deep conditioner (also good for your nails).
    Eat more avocados. You can also smash them up and use them as a deep conditioning mask for your hair but why put it on your head when you could eat them?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Stopping bc gave you a negative side effect like hair falling out.. I don't buy it. In that case, I should be bald since I've been off bc for 20 years. (Yes, I'm exaggerating.) Stopping birth control is generally a positive thing for our bodies. If you are a vegetarian, do you consume soy in large amounts? If so, then it's similar to being on bc. I'm not suggesting that your experience is invalid, but I think your conclusion that it wasn't diet related may be incorrect. My opinion only.

Having read/heard many accounts about negative health issue of vegetarian, and especially vegan, diets directly from people who ate that way for years, has convinced me that our bodies generally deteriorate from such a diet. Hair loss would be a good first sign of a poor diet.

While I actually agree with your argument that a good balance of fats is very important for health, our bodies do not deteriorate from a vegetarian diet that is balanced anymore than they do from a non-vegetarian diet that is balanced. Vegetarian =/= poor diet. A poor diet = a poor diet.
  • mayamagallanes
    mayamagallanes Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    My doc put me on a prenatal for hair loss
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    Malnutrition/a vitamin/macro deficiency.

My hair actually got thicker when I started watching what going in my mouth. As did my nails.