Dieting & Exercising- Joints are killing me!

Options
13»

Replies

• bsix3
    bsix3 Posts: 291
    Options
    So basically the title simplifies it. I have been dieting and exercising for the past few months and it seems like each week I have a new problem joint! I have always had issues with my left knee due to an old injury from soccer in high school, but now my right knee is beginning to bother me. Also, both elbows & left wrist are starting to hurt. I stretch after every workout and ice my sore joints about every night.

I do kickboxing Mon & Weds for 1 hour, followed by about 30 mins on the elliptical
    Muscle Cuts (light weight lifting) Tues, Thurs, & Saturdays, followed by 30 mins on the elliptical
    Fridays I walk/ Jog 2 miles on the track
    (I am trying to achieve the ability to do a few pull ups right now so I do a few negatives and up & holds at night)

The instructors in these classes are really good about watching form and correcting ppl's form if needed. I wear a wrap on both knees and about to result to maybe some for my elbow if I have to. I am 22, 5'5", 165lbs and have always been active and never had this problem.

Vitamins I take daily:
    - 2000 mg Glucosamine
    - 333 mg Calcium
    - 133 mg Magnesium
    - 5 mg Zinc
    - 2000 I.U. D3
    - 1210 mg Chonodroitin Sulfate Complex
    - 100 mg Aflapin
    - 10000 mcg Biotin

Please, any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

You may want to consider yoga. Do some research on it. I personally hate yoga but gaining the flexibility has helped tremendously.
  • sherrainc
    Options
    I also have both knees that are sore especially on winters or cold days. My physiotherapist prevented me from jumping on hard ground, lunges and squatting to prevent sore knees. I just walk or do spin (stationery bikes) as my exercise.
  • waylandcool
    waylandcool Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    As someone with knee problems, recent knee surgery, it was hard for me to take it easy. I agree with the others with taking some time off or stick with the elliptical for a while. You also should try a knee brace, I have an Ace, with metal rods on the sides, I couldn't workout without. Ice afterwards and add an Aleve or ibuprofen to ease inflamation. I'm not a doctor, these are things that my ortho doc recommended to me. I have severe arthritis in both knees and he knows telling me to quit my workouts was useless.

Did your knee brace ever seem to make it worse? I ask this bc there are some days when I wear my brace that it seems to feel super weak once I take it off when I get home.

I wear a brace on each knee when I work out due to minor injuries with each of them. I feel better on the ellipitcal and in my boot camp class when I use them. I haven't had any problems with weakness when I take them off, although I do feel a little unsteady on the ellipitcal if I don't wear them, especially on my right knee.

See my knee only hurts during workouts if I do (deep) lunges or jump squats. It's afterwards when it is sore and feels really tight after a normal workout w/out my brace, with a brace it feels super weak so I'm searching for a middle ground.

(it's the insides of my knees that are sore )

My issue is that I have dislocated my right knee twice (both times bowling) so it tends to buckle a bit when I am pushing off on it, like during lunges. I am hoping as I take off weight, that will improve and I can ditch the braces.
  • RikkiDominey
    RikkiDominey Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    If you're talking about crackling sound coming from your joints while bending knees or using weigths, take Omega-3 - Fish Oil pills...one per meal...The crackling sound and pain will disappear in time.

Just started taking them today, Thanks!
  • RikkiDominey
    Options
    Hey! This caught my attention. I've been having joint pain for about 1 year and a half now, and I have knee issues. Two issues that you may want to get tested and see a doctor: Thyroid. Turned out I have hypothyroidism and that leads to overall joint pain. Also, if the insides of your knees are hurting, it could be your meniscus. I tore both of mine in kick boxing. I run now but no more kick boxing. And lunges are the worst for knees. Side lunges are OK but not walking or stepping forward.

I hope this helps!

Thank you!
  • RikkiDominey
    Options
    So basically the title simplifies it. I have been dieting and exercising for the past few months and it seems like each week I have a new problem joint! I have always had issues with my left knee due to an old injury from soccer in high school, but now my right knee is beginning to bother me. Also, both elbows & left wrist are starting to hurt. I stretch after every workout and ice my sore joints about every night.

I do kickboxing Mon & Weds for 1 hour, followed by about 30 mins on the elliptical
    Muscle Cuts (light weight lifting) Tues, Thurs, & Saturdays, followed by 30 mins on the elliptical
    (I am trying to achieve the ability to do a few pull ups right now so I do a few negatives and up & holds at night)

The instructors in these classes are really good about watching form and correcting ppl's form if needed. I wear a wrap on both knees and about to result to maybe some for my elbow if I have to. I am 22, 5'5", 165lbs and have always been active and never had this problem.

Vitamins I take daily:
    - 2000 mg Glucosamine
    - 333 mg Calcium
    - 133 mg Magnesium
    - 5 mg Zinc
    - 2000 I.U. D3
    - 100 mg Aflapin
    - 10000 mcg Biotin

You may want to consider yoga. Do some research on it. I personally hate yoga but gaining the flexibility has helped tremendously.

Thank you. There is a yoga class at the gym I go to so I will definitely give it a try.
  • RikkiDominey
    Options
    As someone with knee problems, recent knee surgery, it was hard for me to take it easy. I agree with the others with taking some time off or stick with the elliptical for a while. You also should try a knee brace, I have an Ace, with metal rods on the sides, I couldn't workout without. Ice afterwards and add an Aleve or ibuprofen to ease inflamation. I'm not a doctor, these are things that my ortho doc recommended to me. I have severe arthritis in both knees and he knows telling me to quit my workouts was useless.

Did your knee brace ever seem to make it worse? I ask this bc there are some days when I wear my brace that it seems to feel super weak once I take it off when I get home.

I wear a brace on each knee when I work out due to minor injuries with each of them. I feel better on the ellipitcal and in my boot camp class when I use them. I haven't had any problems with weakness when I take them off, although I do feel a little unsteady on the ellipitcal if I don't wear them, especially on my right knee.

See my knee only hurts during workouts if I do (deep) lunges or jump squats. It's afterwards when it is sore and feels really tight after a normal workout w/out my brace, with a brace it feels super weak so I'm searching for a middle ground.

(it's the insides of my knees that are sore )

My issue is that I have dislocated my right knee twice (both times bowling) so it tends to buckle a bit when I am pushing off on it, like during lunges. I am hoping as I take off weight, that will improve and I can ditch the braces.

Ouch! I've never dislocated a knee and hopefully never will. Thank you & I hope that your knees improve also!
  • eileenchristine
    eileenchristine Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Didn't read all the replies and not sure if this is applicable to the area of the country you are in, but I was having serious joint issues due to Lyme Disease. Did the treatment and am good. My son has had it for years and has done several treatments. Its a very serious disease. You might want to ask your dr. about it. At 22 you shouldn't be having this issues I would think.

Good luck!
  • RikkiDominey
    Options
    Well, I have bad knee -- and none of the doctors can tell me why or what is causing it --other than the cartilage lesion they removed last year. But what caused that --no one seems to know since I have been anything BUT overactive. Doctor is now stuck on weight as the issue but I am 73 pounds down and it still isn't really right....which I told him from the start but I had to prove it by buckling under and doing the exercise that I hate. That being said -- for me anyway, I know that any kind of running or jumping, anything high impact that is going to jar the joint is just out of the question. I fall, experience mind numbing pain and limp around for a week or two after if I am so unwise as to try anything such thing so I just don't. I stick with low-impact Fitness Blenders exercises, walking, biking, my PT, some stretching and light calisthenics. That's what works for me without setting my knee off. I see you run --if that doesn't aggravate things for you, that works -- but since you are having issues then you might need to slow it down and just walk. I don't know exactly what is involved in your other workouts but if there is any high-impact stuff, you might need to talk to your instructors about modified versions because of your joint pain. I've found that most of the traditional exercises can be modified in some fashion to put less stress on my knee and avoid the excruciating bursts of pain that follow. For example, marching jacks instead of jumping jacks, wall pushups rather than traditional or granny-style pushups; and I usually need to hold onto a railing or shelf or something for anything that involves balancing on one leg, especially the bad one since it won't always support me fully by itself and the sudden minute adjustments involved in balance don't track at the speed necessary to keep me on my feet so I either fall or the sudden motion causes a wave of pain. So I just don't do the things I know are going to cause me pain. Hope that helps!

Vitamins I take daily:
    - 2000 mg Glucosamine
    - 333 mg Calcium
    - 133 mg Magnesium
    - 5 mg Zinc
    - 2000 I.U. D3
    - 100 mg Aflapin
    - 10000 mcg Biotin

I have stopped all the contact involved in my kickboxing class to see if that changed anything , which it didn't. I am going to discontinue kickboxing for at least a few weeks to see if anything improves. Also will be taking fish oil and yoga. If it all doesn't improve I will force myself to go to the doctor and see what he has in mind. (I hate going to the Doctor- takes so long)
    Thank you for your info