What are some "tricks" you use to lose weight?

Options

Replies

• PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    Take lots of diet pills! Sleep a lot so I don't eat. Basically Hibernate!
  • DeeDel32
    DeeDel32 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    move more, eat less . . . and lift heavy *kitten*

This.
  • Piercep5
    Piercep5 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am in my second college nutrition class and this was the most basic concept that I learned in the first class. The instructor is Janet Guenther, a professional women bodybuilder. I took that statement directly from her.

The most important aspect to that statement is that if you eat smaller meals every two hours you have less of a chance of overeating. If you wait 5 hours between meals and then eat 700 calories you will most likely eat an excess and store fat.

"Starvation mode" is so overused. It may even be true that your metabolism isn't as fast if you don't eat every 2 hours, I don't know, but your body is not going to shut down if it doesn't get food for 2 hours. That's hyperbole, and it's ridiculous. Children in drought stricken areas of Somalia are in starvation mode. You are not in starvation mode because you forgot your 4pm apple.

I don't mean that you starve after 2 hours. I mean that your body begins starving, even if only minutely, after 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 hours. Some people only eat 2 meals per day and that should be avoided.
  • John2347
    John2347 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    my tricks are eat healthy and exercise more
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    Nah, seriously.

I run long distance, eat healthier, & weight train.
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    For me my willpower is running at 110% from morning till my afternoon workout. After that it fades, so i make sure to save 80% of my calories for night time so i have a large buffer to eat all the junk i want.

i kind of do the same. really light breakfast and lunch and no snacking, then i usually have a good 800 or so calories for dinner and snacks because i used to be up until 3-4 am. still in the habit of light breakfast and lunch though, so i've been way under goal lately =)
  • clobercow
    clobercow Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Low carb, high fat, moderate protein for appetite control.

Intermittent fasting for accelerated fat loss and even ,more appetite control.
  • melindadunston
    Options

I eat 8 meals per day. Every two hours. The reason is because if you wait too long between meals your body goes into starvation mode and stores fat.

Your body doesn't go into starvation mode if you wait more than 2hours to eat...lol People overuse that phrase soooooooooo much. But eating often does keep your blood sugar stable. This helps keep your metabolism going.
  • Brianna72994
    Options
    -Lots of water

-I use smaller plates and bowls so that I can eat smaller portions

-I drink some water before I eat, so I usually eat less

-I never eat after 8 PM

-I switched to diet soda (which still isnt very healthy, I'm trying to stop drinking it)
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I come from decades of grazing all the foods all the days. So my "trick" is absolutely no eating between meals. Only water (sometimes a mug of tea instead). I have 4 meals per day 3 hours apart starting in the 8:00 AM hour, plus a small bedtime snack (usually a reduced-fat frozen bar, like Skinny Cow chocolate truffle currently).
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    That Pierce "Thing" is a Troll handing out BAD Info to the Gullible! Please, 8 meals a day...No Way!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I hit my macros.
    I train hard.
    I keep it simple.
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I try not to eat a meal after 8 because I go to bed on a full stomach and wake up bloated. Hate that feeling. Other than that, I try to eat as healthy as I can and workout about 3x a week. I don't fuss over days that aren't so good or going out to eat. I do what I can. So far, it has worked, but very slowly and I am ok with that.
  • fudgebudget
    fudgebudget Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I am in my second college nutrition class and this was the most basic concept that I learned in the first class. The instructor is Janet Guenther, a professional women bodybuilder. I took that statement directly from her.

The most important aspect to that statement is that if you eat smaller meals every two hours you have less of a chance of overeating. If you wait 5 hours between meals and then eat 700 calories you will most likely eat an excess and store fat.

"Starvation mode" is so overused. It may even be true that your metabolism isn't as fast if you don't eat every 2 hours, I don't know, but your body is not going to shut down if it doesn't get food for 2 hours. That's hyperbole, and it's ridiculous. Children in drought stricken areas of Somalia are in starvation mode. You are not in starvation mode because you forgot your 4pm apple.

I don't mean that you starve after 2 hours. I mean that your body begins starving, even if only minutely, after 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 hours. Some people only eat 2 meals per day and that should be avoided.

"Minutely starving" is called "hungry" and is not the same thing.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    4. My healthy pizza (I love this) : 1 flat out low cal bread, pizza sauce (only 30 cals for 1/4 cup) and a shredded mozerella cheese stick (70 cals or less depending) Then you can add mushrooms etc. POP in toaster oven or oven until cheese is melted. I love pizza and this satisfies me without all the extra grease and calories.

Those flatout wraps are so good. Another good one is Joseph's Flax .. uh.. these things. You can do pizza with them, or you can put roast beef, dijon mustard, and a little sharp cheddar cheese + veggies for a very fantastic sammich wrap.

b15b373a-df40-4091-8e80-3bf65c3f6bcb.jpg

Alternately I use English muffins, turkey pepperoni, Newman's Own Sockarooni marinara sauce, load up on the veggies and a little cheese on the top... broil it. With all the goodies on top, two are very filling. I love pizza so much I would marry it.
  • mrsburghart
    mrsburghart Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    A trick I use is probably detrimental, but if there's a food that I am craving that I KNOW is terrible for me (say a can of Pepsi) I just wait until my boyfriend opens his can and then I take one drink. At restaurants I always order healthier foods, but always take one bite of his (he's not a healthy eater). I know I can't eat more than that, because it's not mine, but it helps get over that hump of ordering a full meal of something that's going to knock my calorie count over the moon.
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I eat 8 meals per day. Every two hours. The reason is because if you wait too long between meals your body goes into starvation mode and stores fat.
    Several studies have been done that prove this is not true. It doesn't matter when or how often you eat meals. What matters in weight loss is eating less than your body burns.

The only thing eating many small meals does is keep you from feeling hungry and eating more than you would eat if you had spaced it out. Which helps a lot of people stay within their calorie limits.

If your nutrition teacher is telling you it puts your body into starvation mode after 2 hours and the body starts storing fat then you need to find a new nutrition teacher.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    I drink 3L of water each day (yes, I know the 2L-a-day thing is going out the window, but it keeps me full and moving - I need to walk to the bathroom, a LOT)

I don't eat anything until I log it first

I eat as close to my daily calories as I can

I eat back half of my exercise calories - some days, I'm eating 1400 cals, and the lazy days, I eat my 1240

OOH I make tortilla pizzas too!! I usually put the rotisserie chicken from the grocery store, some broccoli/cauliflower, and light mozza cheese (the strings make my lips swell).. SO good!!

I drink 1L of water with lemon juice in it once or twice a week.. no science behind it, but it's mostly after a meal out, or something salty.. sodium bothers me
  • gabriellejayde
    gabriellejayde Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Take lots of diet pills!

Bad advice.

don't take ANY diet pills unless you consider vitamins a diet pill.

my "trick" is selzer. I drink it all day long and it keeps me more full than plain water I think. I add a slice of lemon and crushed ice.
  • xo_Sarah_xo
    xo_Sarah_xo Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I hit my macros.
    I train hard.
    I keep it simple.

Exactly....