Favorite Lifts.. With Pics

Options

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    Question: why do you say sumo deads are better than conventional for a woman?

The reasoning seems to be that it emphasizes lower body strength (and core/back) which is argued to be better suited to where the majority of our strength lies, compared to males who tend to have more upper body strength than us.

(That's just what I got from it.)

i've heard that before (along with a reasoning of why would should stick to endurance style cardio instead of sprinting and HIIT) and i still think it's a dumb reason. isnt the main reason people lift to get stronger, especially the weaker areas of their bodies?

i think the women in the gym who only do lower body work look just as ridiculous as the dudes who do only upper body work
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

The reasoning seems to be that it emphasizes lower body strength (and core/back) which is argued to be better suited to where the majority of our strength lies, compared to males who tend to have more upper body strength than us.

However, just because I won't develop upper body strength as much as any of my brothers doesn't mean I don't want to work on the muscles up there...

Maybe it would feel comfortable to do a motion that requires proportions of strength in various sections of your body in a similar way to how your body is actually made up?

*shrug*

Makes no sense to me, especially as neither deadlift really uses upper body (except lats). Still not clear on why.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    bump
  • witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Great thread! I am only just starting out with strength training so just using own body weight and also some dumbbells. Can't wait until I can get to things like this, although I can't afford gym so have to sort my attic space out and save up the pennies!
  • Siege_Tank
    Siege_Tank Posts: 781 Member
    Options

However, just because I won't develop upper body strength as much as any of my brothers doesn't mean I don't want to work on the muscles up there...

Maybe it would feel comfortable to do a motion that requires proportions of strength in various sections of your body in a similar way to how your body is actually made up?

*shrug*

That's what I read, I have no firsthand knowledge of whether it's true or not, I guess I shouldn't repeat things until I try them myself. And I'm with you, isn't a deadlift supposed to be a deadlift? Still picking up and setting them down, the stance may change emphasis slightly, but.. I'm not so sure about "better for women"
  • AngryCurseWords
    Options
    That's what I read, I have no firsthand knowledge of whether it's true or not, I guess I shouldn't repeat things until I try them myself. And I'm with you, isn't a deadlift supposed to be a deadlift? Still picking up and setting them down, the stance may change emphasis slightly, but.. I'm not so sure about "better for women"

Any idea where you read it? It would interesting to check out. It's either based on an assumption or another false argument, or there might be other reasoning that is actually compelling (depending on what they are actually claiming, of course). At any rate, I am curious about it. Also, might make me angry depending on their argument. But if I get pissed, I can always set out to do the lifts they say I shouldn't. :)

I get annoyed at being told I shouldn't bother because I won't reach Navy Seal manly muscles as a lady. With that reasoning only the strongest man in the world should bother to be strong and everyone else should give up. Not all reasons for being fit are rooted in comparisons of yourself to others. Not all comparisons have to be taken to extremes. >.<
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    I get strange looks all the time when I'm doing my barbell hip thrusts. XD My gym is small and it's all guys who I'm sure have never heard of it. My favorite lifts are the bench press and deadlifts. No pics needed I'm sure. :)
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Nice POV shot there for those barbell hip thrusts (glute bridges)!
    I just joined a new gym and I'm just starting to learn all those awesome oly lifts! Awkward movements at first but FUN!

My faves, however, are the squat, deadlift, and hip thrusters. Though my pics aren't nearly as awesome as the ones you posted already!

thrusters.jpg
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Any idea where you read it? It would interesting to check out. It's either based on an assumption or another false argument, or there might be other reasoning that is actually compelling (depending on what they are actually claiming, of course). At any rate, I am curious about it. Also, might make me angry depending on their argument. But if I get pissed, I can always set out to do the lifts they say I shouldn't. :)

I get annoyed at being told I shouldn't bother because I won't reach Navy Seal manly muscles as a lady. With that reasoning only the strongest man in the world should bother to be strong and everyone else should give up. Not all reasons for being fit are rooted in comparisons of yourself to others. Not all comparisons have to be taken to extremes. >.<

Word!
  • FitandFab33
    FitandFab33 Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I love squats and deadlifts, but I'm pretty sure I would break my back if I attempted the hip thrust thing. :noway:

I started out doing hip thrusts on a yoga/balance ball with weight on my lap- it's great from strengthening the back and it is so AMAZING for the booty!! Just make sure when you get to the top you get that tight squeeze. :-)
  • lhergenr
    lhergenr Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I think squats are super sexual

Methinks the same. This is exactly why I am mortified to do them in a semi-public space.
    Really? that's funny. I find them to be the opposite of sexual- like someone squatting to take a dump. Unless you're into that kind of thing.
  • AngryCurseWords
    Options
    I think squats are super sexual

Methinks the same. This is exactly why I am mortified to do them in a semi-public space.
    Really? that's funny. I find them to be the opposite of sexual- like someone squatting to take a dump. Unless you're into that kind of thing.

Hahahaha. Now that's all I can see. I imagine it will still feel mortifying to do in public. Just in a different way. :laugh:

Or I could focus on how strong they make me feel and ignore what anyone else might be thinking. :ohwell:
  • Siege_Tank
    Options
    Yeah, most of those pics are from bodybuilding.com, as well as descriptions and videos and pics
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/workout/exercise.html

I need to have someone to take pictures of me lifting at the gym.. that would be awful self aggrandizing... and epic..
  • Ivey05131980
    Ivey05131980 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Props to the spotter in pic three for his eye direction

My thoughts exactly!
  • Siege_Tank
    Options
    Anyone else with any favorite lifts, pictures? I'm going to start posting dumbbell workouts that I like too, so much difficulty in controlling the balance of both at the same time!!
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    Dragonflags, a la Bruce Lee or Rocky:
    Bruce-Lee-Dragon-Flag.jpg
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Klokov Press

0.jpg

www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLPxwuGUZBY
  • Kmsnomaha
    Kmsnomaha Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • kels67camaro
    Options
    bump
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Lol and of course she's wearing a bra and underwear to perform her hip thrust in.