Ate 4 cookies yesterday - feel awful!

Options
Yesterday I was just craving sugar and unfortunately we had some pilsbury cookie dough in the fridge. So I though - well 2 cookies can't hurt since I am under my cal intake for the day.... 2 turned into 3..... 3 turned into 4. Honestly they were SO good but today I feel awful. I have been doing really well and eating well always staying under my cal intake but now I am so scared that it is my old bad habits coming back to hunt me!
I am 5'6" and 137 but I just really want to tighten up and loose those last 10 pounds. I know things are slow when you are not far from goal weight but I barely loose 1/2 pound a week and I am working my butt off!
I guess I am just feeling pretty discouraged... Anybody with some good advice?

Replies

• gjulie
    gjulie Posts: 391
    Options
    God Im 5 ft 2 and would love to be 137!lol
  • Soula7475
    Soula7475 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Just get some exercise today and move forward. One night won't hold you back if you turn it around quickly.
  • lasmit4477
    lasmit4477 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    What is your workout routine? What are your calories/micros set at?

I would recommend that you introduce weight training into your program if you are not doing so already.

Also, 4 cookies are not going to destroy all of your work. Learn from it and move on!
  • ibach08
    ibach08 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I am almost done with Jillian Michal's Ripped in 30. On top of that I am doing the 100 push-up program (currently on week 5). For cardio I ride my bike 5 days a week 7 miles to school and I alternate between running and doing P90X every other day.
    I try to follow the paleo diet and have been doing that for about 3 months. If you want to see what I am eating my diary is open...
  • santini1975
    santini1975 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Same feeling today. I had some homemade fudge calling my name and I answered! Not today! Try chugging some water and popping a mint or piece of gum in your mouth. The craving will pass.
  • lasmit4477
    lasmit4477 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I am almost done with Jillian Michal's Ripped in 30. On top of that I am doing the 100 push-up program (currently on week 5). For cardio I ride my bike 5 days a week 7 miles to school and I alternate between running and doing P90X every other day.
    I try to follow the paleo diet and have been doing that for about 3 months. If you want to see what I am eating my diary is open...

This is my thought:

The closer you are to a normal weight, your fat stores don't have as much storage space. You can set your account to 1/2 lb per week and try to eat around 50% of your exercise calories. Set your ratios to 35% carbs, 40% protein and 25% fat. Also, when you are trying to cut body fat, it's better to spend more time weight training and reduce some of that cardio. It is also important to let your body rest, so having a rest day may be of benefit. Focus more on body composition and less focus on the scale!
  • RobynC79
    RobynC79 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    4 cookies? OMG!!!

I think you need some perspective; 4 cookies will not do in all your hard work. Part of being successful in the long term is going to be your ability to refocus and compensate for unexpectedly large meals (of four cookies or fast food or huge steak, whatever) and small meals.

Last weekend I attempted to make a batch of shortbread cookies but ended up eating the entire batch of dough instead - probably about 2000 calories. I am a sucker for cookie dough and cake batter, I'm not going to panic about it. In the long run it doesn't make any difference if you don't do it regularly. And c'mon, what's life without cookies?????
  • ShowGirl84
    Options
    As long as you eat right 80% of the time then one day of bad eating will not derail your progress that much. Sometimes calorie confusion can even be good for your metabolism. If you deprive yourself 100% of the time, it might lead to a binge, so just hang in there and dont beat yourself up!
  • StephBurbankRD
    StephBurbankRD Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    90/10 rule chica, your just fine! 4 cookies will not break the bank. Use this as a discovery moment... why did you eat them? Were you stressed, board, tired or hungery. Next time you can see the triger and "cope" differently either by eating a healthy meal or going on a great jog to relieve the stres! SMILE your fine!!
  • sandrahermione
    Options
    I understand the out of control bit. I have had a stomach bug since Sunday felt a bit better yesterday, decided to have a couple of tiny sausages, turned into ten :( belly really bad after) Silly me.
    On your weight, I am 5'7 athletic build and weigh 147 hoping for 140 no lower with muscle. I once weighed in the 130s and then saw a skeletal photo of me! I did not notice it in myself at all. I am very skinny on top, bigger legs. Top half was awful at that weight. Ribs everywhere. Are you sure you need to go lower? Maybe your body is trying to tell you something. Look at body fat composition and if it is under 18% stop, you are risking fertility and nerve function. I have a friend forever on crutches where her spinal nerves were destroyed by lack of fat. Now, I know she is anorexic but the list of risk goes on.
    Sorry to be miserable but eating some biscuits should not make you feel bad. You are a beautiful person and lovable.
  • ibach08
    ibach08 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to say thanks to all of you... It is so nice to have a MFP family there to support and today I really felt that support - just when i needed it! :)
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Well who hasn't done that a time or two (dozen)? It won't hurt you as long as you avoid using it as an excuse to give up.
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Only 4??? :huh:
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Did you stay under your calories still?

If so, don't worry about it :)
    If you went over, one day won't harm. Get back on track today.
  • AZDreamgirl
    Options
    We all have those days. My son wanted sugar cookies witht he candy canes in them (Pillsbury) and don't you know, he has eaten 2 and is over it. So I have been cruising by them the last 2 days. I may break down and have one finally tomorrow. Hopefully they are stale and I end up tossing them..ha ha
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    WHen i do that, I calculate the calories,and burn that much more the next day...so 600 calories in cookies , I add that to my regualar 600, so I don't stop til I burn 1200...yeah I'm nuts lol.....also only 4? I would have about 10 if they were in my house, thats why I can't have that stuff around
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    I don't have much advice about losing weight, other than the obvious eating properly, exercising and drinking lots of water. But re the cookies, you ate them yesterday. Today is another day. And tomorrow will be another one as well. Just go back to doing the things that you were doing to start losing weight in the first place. And follow the advice of people who know better than me!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    One day of eating 4 cookies doesn't mean your old habits are back. Get over it, and you'll be much happier for it.
  • VictoriaWorksOut
    VictoriaWorksOut Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Giiiiirl... do a longer workout, or work out harder, or skip a dinner or eat lighter in a meal..... but don't be miserable over 3 cookies. We all have done that, and by 'that' I mean slipping on a treat. Pick yourself up and keep on moving.
  • Jaashy
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up over it. It's not worth feeling awful about.
    Say to yourself, "Ok, i ate 4 cookies, so I'm going to walk up my stairs 3 times to work it off. Tomorrow I won't eat a cookie."
    remember, it took more than one day to get you to this point, it'll take more than one day to work it off to your goal weight.
    Be easy with yourself.