cardiio and strength ... how to get the right balance?

Options
2»

Replies

• Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    3x 1 hour strength workouts per week
    2-3x 20-30 minute HIIT sessions
    Any remaining time you want to exercise, do LISS cardio, e.g. walking

Sorry whats HIIT sessions? Sorry for all the questions i just want to get it right and right for me x

HIIT High Intensity Interval Training

Example: Walk for 3 minutes, Sprint for 30 seconds repeat 5-8 times.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Do for eg if my gym seshion is 90 mins I should do 45 mins my usual treadmill and cross trainer and the other 45 on strength training?
    I'm not kean on dvds as I find I don't do them at home, I'm better in a gym.
    Will definately look into free weights/getting help at the gym thanks guys :-)

you dont need all the cardio with strength training. 3 x strength, 2 xcardio, 2 x rest
  • IronDame
    IronDame Posts: 275
    Options
    I know most gyms normally have trainers show people how to use the machines and free weights when they first sign up. I would recommend you talking with them and seeing what you can work out. Don't be afraid to watch people and pick up what they are doing, although a lot of them do have bad form. It would be best to youtube exercises for each body group and watch their form. Also www.bodybuilding.com has a lot of good beginner routines.
    Lastly do a 10-15 warm up before weights and after hit cardio.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    High Intensity Interval Training vs. Low Intensity Steady State. HITT is popular with body builders because it provides some cardio while also working fast twitch muscle fibers. I see a lot of claims of how people are giving up jogging (LISS) entirely in favor of HITT. I wouldn't personally recommend it and won't give up my runner.s high but I guess it works for some. Also, be careful to make sure you have enough rest time for recovery. It will take time to find the combination that works but definitely do both cardio and strength training. As for the question of how, its experimentation, record keeping and analysis to find the right combination FOR YOU. A good personal trainer, i.e. one that will sit down with you before giving you a routine, can help you here.
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Ask a trainer at your gym to show you how to use the machines or the free weights--that's why they are there. At my gym, we get a free meeting with a trainer and fitness assessment when we join, then an update every three months as part of the membership. The internet is also a great place to look things up. Lots of sites have video, or just go to youtube and start searching.

If you are looking for HIIT workouts, just google it. There are lots out there for whatever cardio you prefer--I even saw one for kettlebell. I take a Spin class one day a week from an instructor who always includes a few Tabata intervals, and on those days, I burn calories all day long at an elevated rate--this week I burned over 2500 on my Spin day even tho I had a relatively sedentary day at work. On a normal workout day, I only burn about 2200.
  • RoxySherwood89
    RoxySherwood89 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I would love a personal trainer but i just cannot afford it :( Youve all gave some really good advice i guess its just finding out what works for my body. Thanks all x
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I would love a personal trainer but i just cannot afford it :( Youve all gave some really good advice i guess its just finding out what works for my body. Thanks all x

I feel you. I'm broke as hell myself. There are lots of bodybuilding websites (plus YouTube) that are free and have videos to watch to show you proper form and various exercises. While a PT would be nice, it isn't necessary. You *can* get fit for free!
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    High Intensity Interval Training vs. Low Intensity Steady State. HITT is popular with body builders because it provides some cardio while also working fast twitch muscle fibers. I see a lot of claims of how people are giving up jogging (LISS) entirely in favor of HITT. I wouldn't personally recommend it and won't give up my runner.s high but I guess it works for some. Also, be careful to make sure you have enough rest time for recovery. It will take time to find the combination that works but definitely do both cardio and strength training. As for the question of how, its experimentation, record keeping and analysis to find the right combination FOR YOU. A good personal trainer, i.e. one that will sit down with you before giving you a routine, can help you here.
    I agree with this. LISS is awesome, and resistance+LISS are all you need to hit any body composition goal.
    I just know that most people are not ready to drop "cardio" (read:HISS, which is really a terrible form of exercise), and that most people think that LISS isn't enough. So if they are going to do something else, it might as well be something useful that produces results, vs something that is likely to just trash their thyroid and hormone panels when done excessively at a caloric deficit (HISS).
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    If you can't afford a personal trainer then use the large variety of free tools that are out there. Bodybuilding.com is a great resource for a large variety of exercises with video demonstrations. Like every other such site though there are plenty of differing opinions and they depend on supplement sales so don't forget your skeptical eye when reading claims about the latest and greatest supplement. Find an exercise routine and stick to it for a few months, record your workout every time, and then adjust and fine tune it as you go on.