Before- and after breakfast weight difference?

Options

Replies

• Troll
    Troll Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    Hi guys and gals,

After eating my breakfast(an omelet with a slice of cheese, turkey and a tomato), I weighed myself once more(just to check out how much I would weigh more with my breakfast), and the scale said I gained 0.5 kg with that. Is that normal? Should I weigh 0.5 kg extra with breakfast included?

not normal. i had a sweet potato, 2 fried eggs, and a roasted onion with a 24oz protein shake. i gained 2.75lbs.

duh.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Its the strangest thing - I weigh like 170 before I eat like a pound and a half of food/liquid for breakfast - then I weigh 171.5. oddest thing Ive ever encountered.

:noway:
  • stlhrs
    stlhrs Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    When you whip the eggs for your omelet use helium instead of regular/fat air.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Its the strangest thing - I weigh like 170 before I eat like a pound and a half of food/liquid for breakfast - then I weigh 171.5. oddest thing Ive ever encountered.

:noway:

Did you weigh the plate?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Quit weighing yourself more than once a week. You'll drive yourself nuts trying to analyze the little fluctuations.

I disagree with this advice. Weekly weighing does not eliminate the crazy fluctuations in scale weight...which is why my advice is to weigh yourself daily for a while, long enough to learn just how volatile scale weight is.

That said, if you're stressing out about the scale weight, regardless of how frequently you're weighing, you're doing it wrong. Scale weight should not lead to stressing out. And the only possible difference between pre-eating and post-eating is the weight of the food. That, or your scale is unreliable.
  • florymonde
    florymonde Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    My bathroom scale is not sufficiently accurate to measure the weight of my meals. If I really want to know the weight of the meal I'm eating, I find it is better to use a kitchen scale to weigh the food prior to consumption.
  • stlhrs
    stlhrs Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    It ain't like that. I weigh myself once a day, but I found myself losing weight to fast. So I decided, to weigh myself as usual, but also weigh myself after eating, to see if there would be a big difference. I don't know if a difference like this should be normal, or shows how unstable my weight is because of the speed I accidentaly am going through this.

How fast did you eat? If you eat faster you should weigh less because the food goes through your system faster.

And you'll burn more calories by eating faster..win win
  • JuroNemo14
    JuroNemo14 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Maybe I can clarify, before people start calling me a retard here:

I ate an omelet, which (according to my food-scale weighs 150 g excluding the plate), and then, due to my curiosity, I decided to check HOW MUCH weight I had gained after eating something this small. Now, I'm not anything close to a professional when it comes to weighing yourself and the effect certain kinds of food have on you. Of course you gain weight after weighing. My question was: how much would you gain weight, and is that a normal amount?

So, after eating a 0.15 kg omelet, I gained 0.5 kg, and I found myself wondering, if this is normal. Gaining far more temporary weight, than you consumed(I did not drink anything else).
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    I am not exactly sure why but reading the OP totally annoyed me today.:explode:
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    So, after eating a 0.15 kg omelet, I gained 0.5 kg, and I found myself wondering, if this is normal. Gaining far more temporary weight, than you consumed(I did not drink anything else).

Your bathroom scale is not in a science lab. Variations in temperature and humidity can alter its accuracy. Weigh yourself first thing in the morning after you pee. Don't worry about weight other times of the day.
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Maybe I can clarify, before people start calling me a retard here:

I ate an omelet, which (according to my food-scale weighs 150 g excluding the plate), and then, due to my curiosity, I decided to check HOW MUCH weight I had gained after eating something this small. Now, I'm not anything close to a professional when it comes to weighing yourself and the effect certain kinds of food have on you. Of course you gain weight after weighing. My question was: how much would you gain weight, and is that a normal amount?

I have no idea if it's normal but I do know that it is irrelevant.
  • needamulligan
    needamulligan Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    It ain't like that. I weigh myself once a day, but I found myself losing weight to fast. So I decided, to weigh myself as usual, but also weigh myself after eating, to see if there would be a big difference. I don't know if a difference like this should be normal, or shows how unstable my weight is because of the speed I accidentaly am going through this.

You are an 18 year old male. You are probably still growing and enjoying the fastest metabolism of your life....and probably of any other demographic group on MFP. If weight loss doesn't happen quickly for you then God help us all.
  • Ginger_Poomkin
    Ginger_Poomkin Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Quit weighing yourself more than once a week. You'll drive yourself nuts trying to analyze the little fluctuations.
    ^^^ This
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Of course you're going to weigh a tiny bit more right after you eat! What do you think happens to the food? It doesn't magically defy gravity after it enters your stomach. Really it's not that big of a deal if you weigh in more than what you ate. It's definitely normal to fluctuate like that, so I wouldn't worry.
  • ceannesjourney
    Options
    I would not even worry about it, if you are losing weight--this seems pretty trivial. I don't think you are a "retard", I think you're just worrying about something that you should not be.
  • amyk225
    amyk225 Posts: 154
    Options
    r u serious???? sure somedays i could be five pounds heavier after two meals ,its normal,........
  • bowser625
    bowser625 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Dude, if you eat 5 pounds of zucchini and step on a scale, you will have gained 5 pounds! And then you poop it out. It's like magic.

^^ That made me seriously LOL...oh my!!!
  • JuroNemo14
    JuroNemo14 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Well, thanks for the answers anyways.

Understand, that I wasn't asking, if it was normal to gain weight, but if it was normal to gain much more weight after eating so little. I was afraid I was in that state, where you gain much quicker the weight you lost. Well, thanks, now I feel ridiculous for asking such a "dumb question".
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Well, thanks for the answers anyways.

Understand, that I wasn't asking, if it was normal to gain weight, but if it was normal to gain much more weight after eating so little. I was afraid I was in that state, where you gain much quicker the weight you lost. Well, thanks, now I feel ridiculous for asking such a "dumb question".

that was answered- there are too many factors that a $20 scale cant take into consideration. Its not medical equipment, its 'good enough for a basic idea for tracking'.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Hi guys and gals,

After eating my breakfast(an omelet with a slice of cheese, turkey and a tomato), I weighed myself once more(just to check out how much I would weigh more with my breakfast), and the scale said I gained 0.5 kg with that. Is that normal? Should I weigh 0.5 kg extra with breakfast included?
    If what you ingested weighed .5kg, then the scale will rise .5kg while it's in your stomach.