Experience with the "whoosh"?

Options

Replies

• FitandFab33
    FitandFab33 Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to throw out there- fat cells don't just disappear... They first "empty" their store of tryglycerides and flatten- and a lot of times this is how they stay, just flat storage cells waiting to be filled up again. When this happens the cells stop producing leptin (hormone that tells yor brain you're full) and then that ravenous hunger thing kicks in.You have to push through it and then..... apoptosis, or cell death, sometimes occurs at a later point- generally with a very hefty weight loss (> 10% of body weight lost).

That's the issue with overeating and gaining a lot of weight in a short amount of time- hyperplasia (proliferation) of fat cells occurs. And once the cells are there they are a B**** to get rid of, if you cn get rid of them at all.
  • julimonster
    julimonster Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    There's been a few threads on it the past few days, but yeah. It is actually called dieter's edema and it's pretty common and the reason weight loss is non-linear. I personally only show a loss about every three weeks to a month where I will drop 2 or 3 pounds at once.
    What happens is as your body begins to empty fat cells, it replaces the lost fat in the cells with water, in anticipation of replenishing your fat supply. Because building new tissue is hard work for the body (even fat cells, believe it or not) it will attempt to keep the cells as long as possible by filling them with water.
    At this point is when people notice their fat feels "squishy" or "chunky" or "dimpled" or....you get the picture.
    As we stay consistent on our routines, our body has no choice but to relinquish the water and fat cells eventually and when it does, we experience the "whoosh" effect.
    This can take a widely varied amount of time from person to person. My "whoosh clock" (for lack of a better term) runs 3 weeks to a month before resetting. It has run as long as 6 weeks depending on what type of exercise I do. If I am heavy lifting, it tends to run longer. I believe this is due to my sore muscles hoarding water as well!
    When we take diet into consideration, things like sodium intake can cause variations in the Whoosh Clock as well.
    I have read online that you can actually force the whoosh effect with certain types of exercise and diet, but I haven't tried it.

This makes so much sense! Why hasn't anyone told me about this before? I get sooo frustrated with the plateaus, but then I notice my loss seems to come all at once.. Thank you for posting this!
  • tyrantduck
    tyrantduck Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    That's crazy. I've never even heard of it, let alone been in tune enough to notice the pattern of it. What do you guys look for? I wonder if that's why some days I have what I call "thimble bladder" where it seems like I'm peeing every 10 minutes. lol

Same here! I'll spend all week consistently chugging 9-12 8oz glasses of water and then all of a sudden, one day it seems like I'm constantly in the bathroom... to the point where I see more of the bathroom than my own desk at work. It usually does it for about 24 hours then goes back to normal. I wonder if this is along the lines of our bodies ditching the excess water?
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    What happens is as your body begins to empty fat cells, it replaces the lost fat in the cells with water, in anticipation of replenishing your fat supply. Because building new tissue is hard work for the body (even fat cells, believe it or not) it will attempt to keep the cells as long as possible by filling them with water.
    At this point is when people notice their fat feels "squishy" or "chunky" or "dimpled" or....you get the picture.
    As we stay consistent on our routines, our body has no choice but to relinquish the water and fat cells eventually and when it does, we experience the "whoosh" effect.

I'm sorry, but this sounds like BS to me. I haven't heard anything like this in my major classes and wasn't able to find any credible information about it online. Do you have any good links I could take a look at?

I just don't understand how fat could feel "squishy" from some parts of the body if it comes off from all over. I mean, when you lose a couple pounds, it's not concentrated in one place, so it's hard for me to imagine that any change it's "squishyness" it would be noticeable.
    Google would work, but here you go:
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/of-whooshes-and-squishy-fat.html
    http://www.leangains.com/2010/01/how-to-deal-with-water-retention-part.html
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat...uishy-fat.html
    http://viralfit.blogspot.com/2012/06/whoosh-fat-yesterday-lean-tomorrow.html
    I read MANY more articles, but those were some that stood out.

None of those are credible sources though. Google will give me plenty of info about the benefits of raspberry ketones and detox baths as well.

Actually bodyrecomposition.com is a very credible source. It is Lyle McDonald's website. It's full of scientifically accurate information. (I have not visited the other sites.)
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, but this sounds like BS to me.
    I agree. When you lose fat the fat cells just release their contents like someone opening a zip lock bag full of water. That doesn't mean that the fat cell itself goes away but that it's storing less and less.
    Remember that as your body breaks down fat, the number of fat cells remains the same; each fat cell simply gets smaller.
    - Craig Freudenrich, Ph.D.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/environmental/life/human-biology/fat-cell3.htm
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I experienced this for the first time a couple weeks ago. Weekly weigh-in at the same weight as the week before, the next week down 0.6, the week after, down 5 pounds. When I woke up that morning, I kind of thought maybe it was going to happen finally because I felt sort of deflated lol when I felt my stomach and I looked in the mirror and wondered where my boobs had gone.

Oh and during the weeks of no change, I had no real change in measurements either, not until the whoosh.
  • FitandFab33
    FitandFab33 Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Cedarghost---Why don’t professionals know this? I am of the eat less, move more mindset. So, it bothered me that I was working my butt of and stalled for 2 weeks. I went to see a Registered Dietician and she gave me a diet/workout and said you WILL lose 2lbs this week on this. I did it to the letter and still nothing. She questioned me about condiments …like was I getting too much sugar from ketchup, pickle relish, etc….she even asked me if I ever notice a mess in the kitchen like was I sleep walking and eating in my sleep!!! So, why wouldn’t she assume it was dieter's edema? Apparently, me eating in my sleep is more probable than dieters edema??

That is really interesting. I wonder about dietitians sometimes, just like doctors.

Dietitians are just like every other professional- they are only as good as their diligence. Nutrition is arelatively new "focus" field (really picked up around the 1980s) and there is new information out there all the time. Though registered dietitians go through a fairly rigorous (ADA regulated) education, followed by an active real-experience internship, AND have to complete x amount of hours each year to stay registered, a lot of them fall off and do the minimum as far as research and continued education.
    Don't get me started on doctors- most medical school programs require only ONE nutrition course. Seiously? With approx. 1/3 of cancer incidences, as well as heart disease, diabetes, and the slew of other ailments that have been PROVEN to be preventable through proper nutrition you'd think more emphasis woul be placed on it. And... now I shall step off of my soap box.
  • cedarghost
    cedarghost Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    That's crazy. I've never even heard of it, let alone been in tune enough to notice the pattern of it. What do you guys look for? I wonder if that's why some days I have what I call "thimble bladder" where it seems like I'm peeing every 10 minutes. lol
    That's EXACTLY one of my signs that I have one is coming or happening. If I can't stay out of the bathroom. Also, for me, I tend to get "squishy" or sometimes will get "dimply" in some areas. Then "Whoosh" I am more toned and less squishy and lighter.
  • MeDoula
    MeDoula Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    following
  • cedarghost
    cedarghost Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Remember that as your body breaks down fat, the number of fat cells remains the same; each fat cell simply gets smaller.

Oh good site, and thanks! Now I have even more to read....
    :laugh:
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, but this sounds like BS to me.
    I agree. When you lose fat the fat cells just release their contents like someone opening a zip lock bag full of water. That doesn't mean that the fat cell itself goes away but that it's storing less and less.

What? Did you read anything anyone said? The concept of a "whoosh" is exactly what you just said... no one said you LOSE fat cells.
  • _AllieCat_
    _AllieCat_ Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I always thought it had to do with my monthly cycle, but I have experienced this "whoosh". I will lose about 2-3 pounds in a 1-3 day period then I won't show a loss for about another month.

I also thought it had to do with weight-training because I was losing at a fairly steady rate before I began to lift. Very interesting. Thank you for sharing.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to throw out there- fat cells don't just disappear... They first "empty" their store of tryglycerides and flatten- and a lot of times this is how they stay, just flat storage cells waiting to be filled up again. When this happens the cells stop producing leptin (hormone that tells yor brain you're full) and then that ravenous hunger thing kicks in.You have to push through it and then..... apoptosis, or cell death, sometimes occurs at a later point- generally with a very hefty weight loss (> 10% of body weight lost).

This is more in line with what I've learned about what happens to fat cells. Haven't heard about them retaining water for a while and then simultaneously letting go of it.

Actually bodyrecomposition.com is a very credible source. It is Lyle McDonald's website. It's full of scientifically accurate information. (I have not visited the other sites.)

I've never heard of this guy, but when I looked him up, I couldn't find any information about his degrees. Also, when I read articles from .com sites, I generally look at the sources cited, and if there are journal articles, I'll go read them and if they're in line with what the site says, then I consider it credible.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options

I'm sorry, but this sounds like BS to me. I haven't heard anything like this in my major classes and wasn't able to find any credible information about it online. Do you have any good links I could take a look at?

I just don't understand how fat could feel "squishy" from some parts of the body if it comes off from all over. I mean, when you lose a couple pounds, it's not concentrated in one place, so it's hard for me to imagine that any change it's "squishyness" it would be noticeable.

Fat doesn't come off evenly actually--it comes off disproportionately considering there are more fat cells in certain areas. Given this fact, if you have more fat cells in your abdomen it's conceivable that you'd look squishy here and not in your thighs (for example) if that area has relatively fewer fat cells.

I've read about dieter's edema--I believe it, subscribe to it, but I'm not losing nor do I weigh myself frequently enough to notice a whoosh. I think your tone is a bit accusatory though.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

This is more in line with what I've learned about what happens to fat cells. Haven't heard about them retaining water for a while and then simultaneously letting go of it.

I've never heard of this guy, but when I looked him up, I couldn't find any information about his degrees. Also, when I read articles from .com sites, I generally look at the sources cited, and if there are journal articles, I'll go read them and if they're in line with what the site says, then I consider it credible.

I question blogs and .com sites all the time too; however, some of these sites do cite actual case studies and journal articles.

I feel like there's a bunch of confusion in this thread on what people are talking about... confusion that probably started with my other thread where I thought people called this "fat flush" ._.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    ^yeah, it's kind of confusing. I'm just asking about this whole fat cells filling with water, getting squishy, and releasing it business. Also, on another note, I've read another of articles on livestrong.com that cited journal articles, but when I read the original research, it didn't support what livestrong was saying at all. So always good to read it yourself :)
    I've read about dieter's edema--I believe it, subscribe to it, but I'm not losing nor do I weigh myself frequently enough to notice a whoosh. I think your tone is a bit accusatory though.

Sorry, I don't mean to sound accusatory. I know it doesn't come off completely evenly, but at the same time, it's not concentrated in one place. This whole concept of water retention and release is just a completely new concept to me. As a Nutrition Science major, I'm asking for journal articles so I can understand how it would work. Not because I'm on a personal vendetta. Sorry if it came across that way :(
  • navydentalchic
    navydentalchic Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    ^yeah, it's kind of confusing. I'm just asking about this whole fat cells filling with water, getting squishy, and releasing it business. Also, on another note, I've read another of articles on livestrong.com that cited journal articles, but when I read the original research, it didn't support what livestrong was saying at all. So always good to read it yourself :)

Sorry, I don't mean to sound accusatory. I know it doesn't come off completely evenly, but at the same time, it's not concentrated in one place. This whole concept of water retention and release is just a completely new concept to me. As a Nutrition Science major, I'm asking for journal articles so I can understand how it would work. Not because I'm on a personal vendetta. Sorry if it came across that way :(

This might partially explain the phenomenon.

"In the first few days on the regimen each patient lost large amounts of body water, up to 2-41. (initial dehydration). Subsequently, water losses were much reduced and each patient was found to be retaining water for periods lasting several
    days (secondary water retention).
    "

If the water retention lasts several days you would conceivably experience a whoosh once you rid yourself of excess water retention.

http://journals.cambridge.org/download.php?file=/13645_484DCD3CCB2A8906EAE13C6F90D99E25_journals__BJN_BJN12_01_S0007114558000179a.pdf&cover=Y&code=0d6a893223a8cc633e3ad43a422129d3
  • Briko3
    Briko3 Posts: 267 Member
    Options

I think your gut reaction is right. Physiologically, it doesn't make sense. First, we know you create fat cells if you have extra energy to store, but your body maintains empty fat cells in case you have excess energy in the future. Hence the reason it's easy to gain back to your "heaviest", but you hit a plateau at that point when trying to gain more. As far as the water topic, one of the reasons we store energy in fat instead of glycogen is because Fat storage requires 1/6th of the water than glycogen storage. It would defeat the purpose to store water in place of the fat globule in these cells. It also has no function in keeping these cells alive or at a more "ready state" for the fat globule to store more energy.