Gender Specific Toys...

Options

Replies

• dansls1
    dansls1 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    If my kid is going to cook, he should be in the real kitchen, not using some play set ;)

Seriously though - I really don't have a huge problem with it, but I also lean towards your husbands thinking that if he wants other things don't get him the kitchen set at the expense of things he wants.
  • nduva
    nduva Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I was in the same boat! My little boy is 2 and I knew he would go nuts, because he always plays with the little kitchen at daycare and his cousin's house. My husband said no...but I said yes and won the argument! We picked up the Little Tikes Grow with Me Kitchen this weekend. After seeing it (and the little boy on the box), my husband said, "you're right, he'll love this." Just do it, break those gender stereotypes!
  • smiley245
    smiley245 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I say get him the kitchen, if your son is anything like mine it will get used as a kitchen, launch pad, secret hide out for action figures, and anything else he can imagine. We got plenty of use out of ours.

If your husband feels so strongly let him assert his manhood and get your son a hotwheel....
  • Krys_140
    Krys_140 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Edited because I'm over it now.
  • jessicae1aine
    Options
    I don't think children (or adults, either) should be put in a box based on what's between their legs.

If he wants the kitchen, go for it. He'll be pretending to cook, which will lead to real cooking, which is a lifelong skill he'll need eventually anyhow.

As for the brown v. purple v. pink, why does the color even matter?
  • Busymomshantell
    Busymomshantell Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Does your husband do any cooking in your home?

Get the kid the kitchen, FFS!

Husband does no cooking - only reheating in the microwave or maybe making some oatmeal on the stove on the weekends.
  • kellysawyers
    kellysawyers Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I know you specifically said he likes kitchen toys, but maybe your husband could compromise on one of those toy barbecue grills?
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    happy kids > happy spouses

Said by someone who is probably divorced. Talk to your husband about it and how much your son wants it. If he's adamant about it, then get your son something else. Your son is 3, so I think he'll survive without a kitchen set at home.

I agree with this.

I find the 'frustrate the husband girlfriend!!' mindset a little disturbing.

Unless you married someone that has a history of moronic behavior is there any reason that you would want to outright trump him?

Let him make this call and let the "enlightened" people obey their children as they see fit.
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I'd go with the grill set. I found this one that looks super cool. It's the Hape Gourmet Grill (with food). Modern Furniture Warehouse has it but so do others. It's all wood but super cool looking.

E3127.jpg

Basically, you could have dad outside cooking and son cooking inside and delivering food to hubby while he's watching the football game. :)

Monica

P.S. If he really hates the idea, get the kid a workbench with workable screws and stuff. That might work for him.
  • lour441
    lour441 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    My 3 year old son LOVES cars, trucks, trains - jumping, smashing and crashing. He doesn't like dolls or anything girly and has absolutely no interest in it, except the kitchen set and little things that go with it, microwave, toaster, dishes, play food etc...he likes to "fix" food and have to you "eat it".

He really has nothing that he NEEDS for Christmas and I had the idea to get him a kitchen set with all the little gadgets - the brown one, not pink or purple...my hubby is adamantly against this idea. Does not want to get it for him since there is something more boyish that he also wants. He is 3 - there is ALWAYS something that would be more boyish that he would want, but I don't agree about the kitchen set not being appropriate. I see no problem with it. Most Top Chefs in the world are men... But my husband said if there was nothing else at all (more boyish of course) that he wanted then maybe...Since when is there absolutely nothing that a 3 year old will want?

Opinions???

You and your husband should compromise and buy the gift your husband wants.
  • Krys_140
    Krys_140 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    E3127.jpg
    BUT IT HAS A HEART ON IT!!!!!
  • megalin9
    megalin9 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I don't think that a kitchen is specific to girls, unless it's pink or purple. So I don't think a non-gender-specific kitchen is a bad idea. I have a 2 yr old who is "all boy," but he also likes to play with his sister's [pink] kitchen. Even if I wouldn't buy him something that is considered "girlie," he doesn't associate "pink" with "boy" or "girl." However, have you thought about a tool desk? They make those tool play areas just like they make kitchens. If he doesn't already have one, maybe that would be a better route if you're looking for a "gender-specific" toy.
  • megalin9
    megalin9 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I'd go with the grill set. I found this one that looks super cool. It's the Hape Gourmet Grill (with food). Modern Furniture Warehouse has it but so do others. It's all wood but super cool looking.

E3127.jpg

Basically, you could have dad outside cooking and son cooking inside and delivering food to hubby while he's watching the football game. :)

Monica

P.S. If he really hates the idea, get the kid a workbench with workable screws and stuff. That might work for him.

That is awesome!
  • Busymomshantell
    Busymomshantell Posts: 126 Member
    Options

He has a wooden workbench with a working vise, hammer, nails and tool kits with working drill. He also has a Train table with all the tracks and bridges. He has tons of cars, trucks and such. For his birthday my husband wanted to get him a remote control racetrack - which is cool, and he loves it. He has legos and building blocks and stuffed animals which he uses to throw at people or to knock things over.

There is always something else that he will want...he has 100 matchbox cars at home, but he doesn't have THAT one. I was just looking for something a little different from what he has and he really seemed to enjoy it at the store. The grill isn't a bad idea, I would have to take him to see it to see if he would like it. He tries to help me in the real kitchen, really hard to do with a 3 year old boy - but he likes to cook.
  • coolonedee
    coolonedee Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Vote: Kitchen/grill set that doubles as a truck, do they make such a thing?....seriously the kitchen will be so much fun, your Littles will luv it!!
  • BritneysStuntDouble
    Options
    E3127.jpg
    BUT IT HAS A HEART ON IT!!!!!
    OH NO HE WILL BE THE GHEY BY MORNING
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    happy kids > happy spouses

Said by someone who is probably divorced. Talk to your husband about it and how much your son wants it. If he's adamant about it, then get your son something else. Your son is 3, so I think he'll survive without a kitchen set at home.

No, it's said by someone who has children. Happy ones. It's a damn toy...if the kid wants it then let him have the thing. Since when does buying a toy for a kid lead to divorce?

*smh*
  • perfectingpatti
    perfectingpatti Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    The grill isn't a bad idea, I would have to take him to see it to see if he would like it.

Wait...what? You have to take your 3 year old to the store before buying him a toy just to see if he likes it?
  • perfectingpatti
    perfectingpatti Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    No, it's said by someone who has children. Happy ones. It's a damn toy...if the kid wants it then let him have the thing. Since when does buying a toy for a kid lead to divorce?

Ha! The divorce comment was because you said happy kids are greater than happy spouses. I find the home to be happier when the parents put on a uniform front and support each other. The kitchen set for a 3 year old isn't worth an argument, in my opinion.
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    Want a happy kid? Get him the kitchen.

Want a happy husband? Get the kid a truck.

psst - happy kids > happy spouses. Especially since a three year old can do some real damage with a toy truck he doesn't want. My dad has the scars to prove it...
    I'll bet you were so cute with your toy kitchen!

no, i got the truck first...my poor dad :-)