Gender Specific Toys...

Options

Replies

• JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    Wasnt sure what this post would include.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I'd go with the grill set. I found this one that looks super cool. It's the Hape Gourmet Grill (with food). Modern Furniture Warehouse has it but so do others. It's all wood but super cool looking.

E3127.jpg

Basically, you could have dad outside cooking and son cooking inside and delivering food to hubby while he's watching the football game. :)

Monica

P.S. If he really hates the idea, get the kid a workbench with workable screws and stuff. That might work for him.
    This grill is awesome!
  • Krys_140
    Krys_140 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Hey, if he really likes helping in the real kitchen, get him one of these, and let him help you!
    learning-tower.jpg

It's called a Learning Tower, and it can also be moved to the workbench, so he could help Daddy, too... Everybody wins.
  • vim_n_vigor
    Options
    The grill isn't a bad idea, I would have to take him to see it to see if he would like it.

Buying toys for three year olds really isn't this complicated. Give him some boxes to play with for an afternoon if you don't believe me! You do not need to take him to look at every single toy. That is actually kind of torture for the kid. Is this how you 'found out' he wanted the kitchen set?
  • Busymomshantell
    Busymomshantell Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    The grill isn't a bad idea, I would have to take him to see it to see if he would like it.

Wait...what? You have to take your 3 year old to the store before buying him a toy just to see if he likes it?

I don't want to waste the money buying something he has no interest in. If he shows no interest while we're hanging out in the toy store, then why would he show interest at home? It's a waste of money.

But I also have to show my husband to see if he would agree to that one.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    i could list 100 things right now that i care about more than if my 2 year old son wants to play with a kitchen, doll, truck, or other toy.

i don't know if i am just too laid back, or what - but as long as i am doing what i can to make sure my kid is happy, healthy, respectful, and productive in life, and that my wife is happy and loved - then i don't have to get wrapped up in the minutiae that won't matter in a year, or 2 or 10.

that said, find a compromise. there has to be one out there. the grill set thing looks okay. ultimately i think that parents should try to present a united front to the child, so if you decide to not get it - don't blame daddy, and if you do get it make sure daddy doesn't express his disapproval to the child...

that would be more detrimental than the toy.
  • vim_n_vigor
    Options

I don't want to waste the money buying something he has no interest in. If he shows no interest while we're hanging out in the toy store, then why would he show interest at home? It's a waste of money.

But I also have to show my husband to see if he would agree to that one.

3 year olds are very fickle. They can love something in a store and lose interest before you get home. Showing him the toy and seeing excitement is no guarantee that he will like or play with a toy.
  • _binary_jester_
    _binary_jester_ Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    My daughter is getting this for xmas...train her early.

nW6Ok.jpg
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    No, it's said by someone who has children. Happy ones. It's a damn toy...if the kid wants it then let him have the thing. Since when does buying a toy for a kid lead to divorce?

Ha! The divorce comment was because you said happy kids are greater than happy spouses. I find the home to be happier when the parents put on a uniform front and support each other. The kitchen set for a 3 year old isn't worth an argument, in my opinion.
    So you feel the need to force your opinion down someone else's throat just because their opinion doesn't fit into your personal ideals?

...Seems legit.

And the argument is the fact that the child WANTS the kitchen set, but dad is a misogynist who thinks boys shouldn't play with kitchen sets. It is worth the argument, unless she wants her child to grow up thinking there is something wrong with him because he likes to play kitchen.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    We got our son, our first born, a toy kitchen with all the extra goodies. He looved it. I had given birth to a girl since then, and she also loved it.

Dunno if I would have gotten it if we had had 2 boys instead. It didn't make either of them gay, I can safely say that - they're both in their 20's now.
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    And the argument is the fact that the child WANTS the kitchen set, but dad is a misogynist who thinks boys shouldn't play with kitchen sets. It is worth the argument, unless she wants her child to grow up thinking there is something wrong with him because he likes to play kitchen.

Really? I don't recall reading the OP that the father was a misogynist? Was that before or after he demanded a beer and for her to wash his KKK robes?

Unless she married a man that routinely is doing destructive things or she has some reason to believe that he doesn't have the child's best interest at heart, there is no reason for her to usurp his opinion on this.

A bunch of anonymous people shoving their POV down her throat may fulfill some pop-culture agenda but won't help the situation at hand.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    Options

Really? I don't recall reading the OP that the father was a misogynist? Was that before or after he demanded a beer and for her to wash his KKK robes?

Unless she married a man that routinely is doing destructive things or she has some reason to believe that he doesn't have the child's best interest at heart, there is no reason for her to usurp his opinion on this.

A bunch of anonymous people shoving their POV down her throat may fulfill some pop-culture agenda but won't help the situation at hand.
    Pop culture agenda?

Oh lord, it's not even worth it.
  • wewon
    Options

Pop culture agenda?

Oh lord, it's not even worth it.

:happy:
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    He is THREE. Get him the Damn Kitchen set.

:)
  • katrwal
    katrwal Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Let your husband choose. Guys know guys...period.

We do know period. It attracts bears, and we know to stay away from any female showing symptoms. #RUN

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

We have a rule in my house - whoever shops & wraps gets an extra vote on the present... so it's a win either way...
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options

The point is - kid wants toy. Dad thinks boy should have a boy's toy. Not a girl's toy.

Is the dad playing with it, or the kid? What's the problem with the boy having a not-specifically-boy's toy to play with.

And what the hell does that have to do with pop culture agenda? I...i can't even...
  • wewon
    Options

The point is - kid wants toy. Dad thinks boy should have a boy's toy. Not a girl's toy.

Is the dad playing with it, or the kid? What's the problem with the boy having a not-specifically-boy's toy to play with.

And what the hell does that have to do with pop culture agenda? I...i can't even...

The point is is he's the father, regardless of wether his POV is "hip" it doesn't matter.

Simply negating your spouse is one of the most unhealthy lessons that you can teach.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    Options

The point is is he's the father, regardless of wether his POV is "hip" it doesn't matter.

Simply negating your spouse is one of the most unhealthy lessons that you can teach.
    And wouldn't he be negating her since she wants to get her son the toy?

Your argument is invalid. Please try again.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options

*clap clap*

Husband's opinion should not be dismissed just because it's silly. Nor should wife's opinion be dismissed if wife is sharing a silly opinion.

Be respectful to your spouse. Choose a gift you BOTH can agree on.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    To be blunt, playing with a kitchen set of any color will not turn your son gay. And even if he were gay - - and it's way too early to tell - - what would be the problem?

Your husband seems to have some issues.