Do you agree or disagree?

Options
I read this recently and wondered if its true?

30% gym, 70% diet. Abs are made in the kitchen, not in the gym.

Replies

• tpop917
    tpop917 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's true. Your body as far as healthy eating and changing is made in the kitchen.
    The muscles are made in the gym.

I didn't start running till after I lost weight. I did it to run a 5K, then I got hooked.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    More like 90% diet.

Diet is for weight loss.
    Exercise is for fitness.
  • djames92
    djames92 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    very true. without diet to get rid of the belly fat you cant get abs. this is true because you cant target fat loss you have to work for it by eating right. if you dont eat right and just workout your abs you actually just push the fat out with the muscle you build and see no results
  • bradwwood
    bradwwood Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    very true. without diet to get rid of the belly fat you cant SEE abs. this is true because you cant target fat loss you have to work for it by eating right. if you dont eat right and just workout your abs you actually just push the fat out with the muscle you build and see no results

fixed for you
  • djames92
    djames92 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    thanks haha i did mean cant get visable abs
  • Cyclink
    Cyclink Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I read this recently and wondered if its true?

30% gym, 70% diet. Abs are made in the kitchen, not in the gym.

I agree with the concept, but I think the diet % should be higher. 85 to 90% maybe.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    Eh. I think everyone is different. I've always eaten very well, but until I started running, I was fat.

My husband, on the other hand, eats the world's most horrendous diet. Well over 6000 calories a day. 200+ fat grams. Carbs, sugar, you name it. And an absurd amount of beer. And he's about 250 pounds of rock solid muscle. Maybe 15-17% fat. He's at the gym ALL.THE.TIME. He's got a 550 bench easy.

So for both of us, the diet doesn't seem to make a difference, it's what we do in the gym. Though I'm terribly jealous of his ability to eat everything.
  • 2012Sonya
    2012Sonya Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I really need to get my food habits back on track. It's so hard this time of year!
  • MarineCodie
    MarineCodie Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    AGREE.
  • tonightokayalright
    tonightokayalright Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    very true. without diet to get rid of the belly fat you cant get abs. this is true because you cant target fat loss you have to work for it by eating right. if you dont eat right and just workout your abs you actually just push the fat out with the muscle you build and see no results

^^^ This right here.
  • andreamelo1
    andreamelo1 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    totally
  • MrMeowGi
    MrMeowGi Posts: 171
    Options
    Well , chit, you can't lose or gain if you arnt eating correctly :\
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Yep, very true, although the percentages are probably more like 80/20.
  • Ayla70
    Ayla70 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    This was always my take on it too, until I came here and discovered the importance of muscle. I was one of those fat women who was terrified of developing muscle because I didn't want to get bigger! Seems strange even to me now. I had no idea of the importance muscle tone plays in actual weight loss. Creating muscle by working out actually makes you lose weight faster. And easier too I might add.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Agreed for the most part.
  • Mighty_Rabite
    Mighty_Rabite Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    I think both your diet (preferably not fad dieting) and exercise levels are important, but if I had to rank one more importantly.. it is definitely what you eat. It is very difficult to out-exercise a bad diet.
  • FeliciaFitRNModel
    Options
    nope
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    More like 90% diet.

Diet is for weight loss.
    Exercise is for fitness.

Exactly
  • preslyann50
    preslyann50 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I think both your diet (preferably not fad dieting) and exercise levels are important, but if I had to rank one more importantly.. it is definitely what you eat. It is very difficult to out-exercise a bad diet.

I agree with the all of the above. Diet should be a life time of what you decide to eat. Dieting is while trying to lose weight. It's easier to change your diet than it is to be dieting, especially if you are prone to doing the Fad Diets.

To original poster. I am with you. I work out all the time, but i really need work on my diet. I have made better decisions, but they are not where they need to be.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Disagree

I know guys that eat 'unclean' all day and have six packs because they train so much. Swimmers are known for this.

Heck, just go to prison, you'll see lots of shredded guys with 6 packs, while eating garbage.

Then you also have the genetic freak skinny guys that don't even workout and have 6 packs.