Rethink your Thanksgiving dinner in miles to walk off

Options
Came across this website: http://walking.about.com/library/cal/blthanksgivingcalories.htm

I know a lot of people are saying that the holidays are only a few days a year, so they aren't going to limit themselves. However, perhaps thinking about how many miles it would be to walk off some of those calories will maybe help you replace some of those foods you can live without for healthier options (and less work out needed!).

Happy calculating! :drinker:

Replies

• jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    basically a marathon haha
  • jmeyer925
    jmeyer925 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Think mine was like 30 miles? lol
  • fusion777
    Options
    Mine was 40 miles, I'd have to walk home from my parents' house lol!
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Mine was only about 15 miles. It was like 1500 calories. But, then I think of it this way- You HAVE TO eat each day, so it isn't like those 1500 calories are 100% "extra". I can still have my breakfast and a small dinner and not go over in calories by very much(maybe a few hundred calories) even if I DON'T work out that day. A few hundred calories-I burn that off several times a week at the gym. And that doesn't include the hours I'll be on my feet making the pies, mashing the taters and basting the bird;-)
  • jmeyer925
    jmeyer925 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Mine was only about 15 miles. It was like 1500 calories. But, then I think of it this way- You HAVE TO eat each day, so it isn't like those 1500 calories are 100% "extra". I can still have my breakfast and a small dinner and not go over in calories by very much(maybe a few hundred calories) even if I DON'T work out that day. A few hundred calories-I burn that off several times a week at the gym. And that doesn't include the hours I'll be on my feet making the pies, mashing the taters and basting the bird;-)

1500 calories isn't too shabby! Sounds like you have some great low calorie ideas! :smile:
  • wrevhn
    wrevhn Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    wow, thanks! I love this! A new perspective!

Six ounces of cured ham, Six ounces of white and dark turkey, Half a cup of cranberry sauce, Two small chocolate-chip cookies, ...that comes to 980 calories. You will need to walk 9.8 miles, 15.80 kilometers, or 19600 steps, assuming you cover one mile in 2,000 steps.

but then, I don't like Thanksgiving food.
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    MEH.

bring on the pie!
  • crystal8208
    crystal8208 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I'm hosting this year.. So between the prep of food, the scrubbing of the baseboards, and all other "need to do" I'm going to earn!
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Came across this website: http://walking.about.com/library/cal/blthanksgivingcalories.htm

I know a lot of people are saying that the holidays are only a few days a year, so they aren't going to limit themselves. However, perhaps thinking about how many miles it would be to walk off some of those calories will maybe help you replace some of those foods you can live without for healthier options (and less work out needed!).

How about no.

Websites like this add even more anxiety for many.

One, two or even three days will not hurt you in the long run.
  • _crafty_
    _crafty_ Posts: 1,682 Member
    Options
    MEH.

bring on the pie!

as long as it's your pie :flowerforyou:
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    MEH.

bring on the pie!

as long as it's your pie :flowerforyou:

My pie is mouth watering.
  • SusanDoesIt
    SusanDoesIt Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile:
    MEH.

bring on the pie!
  • TheAncientMariner
    TheAncientMariner Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    MEH.

bring on the pie!

Absolutely. I'm going to be absolutely gluttonous. If I work out 3x a week (minimum) the entire year, a few Holidays here and there isn't going to hurt/kill me. Bring on the pie, fat, carbs, and delicious protein! The good thing is that I can't wait to get back to the gym after Thanksgiving to burn through some of that EXCELLENT fuel! Strength training and hell, I may even give that 10 mile run another go just to make sure I still got it ;)
  • jenniferinfl
    jenniferinfl Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    My family doesn't celebrate the holidays, but with the turkeys on sale there's been a turkey dinner two weekends in a row now. I just eat very light throughout the day, have a 3 mile walk/run before and then I'm barely over calories which I try to correct with another walk.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I prefer not to villify food and look at it as having to punish myself for eating it or having to earn it before I eat it. This just contributes to a poor relationship with food and the extra anxiety increases cortisol creating a self fulfilling prophesy.

I enjoy preparing delicious food to provide for my family and a couple days a year I do it "extra special". I figure we earn that by not killing each other the rest of the year and don't need to do anything extra.

I plan on eating and drinking as much as I want on Thanksgiving and not needing to earn it or punish myself for having done it. I will enjoy the time spent in the kitchen and lounging around with my family. I'll work out hard the next day - not as punishment but because I enjoy it and I will have extra fuel for that workout.
  • Culley34
    Culley34 Posts: 224
    Options
    This is using only 1 mixed drink or glass of wine...

Yeah... not sure how well that is going to work out.
  • dansls1
    dansls1 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Track what you consume like any other day - if nothing else it'll make you think about seconds or that extra dab of butter. Every little bit helps ;)
  • SherryR1971
    SherryR1971 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    25 miles!! Whoa!
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options

Sounds like mental *kitten* to me...
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    8.8 miles.

But luckily, I'm not a huge fan of most "Thanksgiving" food. Don't like mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce, eggnog, stuffing, dark turkey meat, gravy, sweet potatoes covered in marshmallow crap, or desserts (besides pumpkin. always have to have a *tiny* piece). I usually stick with white turkey, green beans, and a salad. So I'm good.

Now Christmas on the other hand, I'm screwed. Much more variety there.