Rethink your Thanksgiving dinner in miles to walk off

Options

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Why do you want to ruin Thanksgiving? Let people enjoy themselves.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    show me a website that tells me how long it will take to sleep it off
  • IntoTheSky
    IntoTheSky Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Well, THAT is depressing...... 23 miles....... screw that!

Edit to add: You are a bigger buzz kill than Buzz Killington!
  • Findingmyathlete
    Findingmyathlete Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I think its nice to keep things in perspective. But even when I eat a 1000 calorie meal I don't go try and burn off the whole thing. I calculate it into my allotted calories for the day and I exercise my normal routine (or not). I just don't go over, ever. So it doesn't ruin me.
    But I really liked this site just to kind of prepare for the day so I don't binge. I don't want to binge. I want to eat with a purpose, to fuel my body. I don't want to see food as evil, but I don't want to over indulge and lose the hard work that I have done already. So thank you for sharing it :)
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I went and looked at the site. It's lame. The portion sizes were all really small and it didn't give you the option for multiples. Who only eats 6 ounces of turkey? A glass of wine and A mixed drink. I'll have that before I start cooking in the morning. Last Thanskgiving I had Irish Whiskey in my coffee, killed a 6 pack of beer, half a bottle of wine, had a couple drinks during the day, and had a 22oz Imperial Stout with my pumpkin pie. Padding my figures only got me up to about 4800 calories on that site and it said it would take 43 miles to walk it off. I'll likely be much higher than that and I won't try to walk it off and that site can't make me. It's not my REAL dad!
  • recee96
    recee96 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    thanks for this post! Ooh...mine was about 18 miles of walking! Wow...good way of looking at things
  • Findingmyathlete
    Findingmyathlete Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    .... I won't try to walk it off and that site can't make me. It's not my REAL dad!

LOL! love it. :drinker:
  • corneredbycorn
    corneredbycorn Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I don't get it. This is saying a mile for every 100 calories consumed. I don't even do that on a normal basis. I would have to average 15 miles every day if I used that calculation. Am I just missing something here?
  • Troll
    Troll Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    Came across this website: http://walking.about.com/library/cal/blthanksgivingcalories.htm

I know a lot of people are saying that the holidays are only a few days a year, so they aren't going to limit themselves. However, perhaps thinking about how many miles it would be to walk off some of those calories will maybe help you replace some of those foods you can live without for healthier options (and less work out needed!).

Happy calculating! :drinker:

ill just remember to bring walking shoes. still planning on eating everything. i was low carbing during the hokidays last year and was miserable the whole time. (ask me about how much cheese i ate. ASK ME :( )

My family is so far apart now, we see each other twice a year. ill be damned if im going to spend that time counting calories or telling them, "oh, you made sixteen pies? ill have another carrot stick." cooking for the holidays for a small army is hard, im going to enjoy their effort. i can get a damn veggie tray at walmart all year, but my grandmaws homemade peanut butter balls? I dont know how many more years we're going to see those at holiday dinners.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    According to what I plan on eating I will need to walk to Jupiter.
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    How about no.

Websites like this add even more anxiety for many.

One, two or even three days will not hurt you in the long run.

thank you...exactly !!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    It's interesting, but there didn't seem to be a way to record multiple portions. I drink more than one glass of wine, for example.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    Just looking through the list, it seems kind of silly.

Why would they list the calories for the dip for chips...but not the chips?

Personally, I'm going to take the time to enjoy my family and my food and not worry about my calories so much. If I gain weight because of it, so be it. You'd be made to think this is some kind of race with how much people want to judge your calorie consumption...
  • ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    MEH.

bring on the pie!

THIS!! Screw it, Thanksgiving and XMAS dinner are 2 days a year. If you are doing it right the rest of the 363 days, 2 days are NOTHING. Don't over think and enjoy!
  • guardian419
    guardian419 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    50 miles, and it's inaccurate because I could only list 1 mixed drink...

So, more like 20 miles by that, as I'll need about 3000 calories that day (BMR+exercise)
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    You will need to walk 25.45 miles, 41.04 kilometers, or 50900 steps, assuming you cover one mile in 2,000 steps

Eh, considering I walk 4 miles a day, this isn't bad.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Why do you want to ruin Thanksgiving? Let people enjoy themselves.

Same reason they all wanted to ruin Halloween by getting crappy candy for the kids so they wouldn't eat it themselves... :sad:
  • dsmpunk
    dsmpunk Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Most people pack on the weight during the Holidays due to 2 months of overeating, not a single day or two of gluttony. Its the cookies, cakes, fudge etc that is hanging around the office for weeks on end that do the real damage.

Eat on turkey day and don't worry about it.
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    Thanksgiving was last month, you freaks!
  • SarahL522
    SarahL522 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    hahahahahahhahaa Ill be eating 3410 calories worth and thats NOT counting in more than 1 glass of wine + seconds. ehh.. I look forward to thanksgiving dinner. I am going to eat enjoy my family and NOT feel guilty about it. :) So... Ill maintain this week.. Im ok with that! :)