cant eat my Calories

Options
2»

Replies

• likemeinvisible
    Options
    I wanted to ask if it is really a problem to not eat all the calories you are allocated? I'm not technically overweight, I just want to get back to the weight I felt my healthiest at. I am naturally small built and all of my family are very light, so BMI and things like that tend to give me a low number, even when I know I'm out of shape. I've been given 1200Cals per day, and have only recently started logging what I eat. Although I have changed my diet to healthier foods (a lot of fruit, veg, nuts and lean meat) I still eat at the same frequency and quantity, yet I'm consuming only around 1000 Cal per day or usually slightly less. I don't usually have much at breakfast beyond a coffee, but eat something an hour or so later (I feel sick if I eat as soon as I've awoken).

This site keeps telling me I'm not eating enough, but is that really a problem? I know people talk about going into starvation mode and not losing weight if they don't eat enough, but lets be honest, in extreme cases such as anorexia, low calorie intake certainly doesn't stop people losing weight! I feel full after I eat, and satisfied at the end of the day, so should I continue as I am, or add more Cals? Any thoughts?

Thanks!

1000 is enough. 700 can be fine too as long as you get enough protein to build your body and some carbs for your brain. Less than that requires calculating your BMR, TDEE and LBM but certainly possible. There really is no limit, one 400 lbs person survived on nothing but water and vitamins for a year, lost 270 lbs.
  • lisalocum
    Options
    Thanks, that's made me feel less worried!
  • pixiestick
    pixiestick Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Firstly I understand I got this way from over eating and being on bed rest during pregnancy so it is my own fault. Secondly I don't skip meals. I also don't plan to give up exercise or reducing the amount I do as I am really enjoying it and finding I have a lot more energy. Yesterday due to swimming and a two hour walk my calories where set at 1,978! I eat a lot of fruit and vegetables as thats what I like. I'm eating 3 meals a day and two big snacks.

Since your diary is not open, it is difficult to know how best to advise you. However, here are a few helpful tips that apply across the board.

1) You are probably crediting WAY too much to exercise; unless you wear a heart rate monitor (HRM) during your swim, it is doubtful that you burned that much. Also, depending on how long you exercised, you need to subtract your "normal" calorie consumption from the burn. MFP over-calculates most activities and we tend to overrate our own effort. So, get an HRM.

2) Weigh everything you eat. You are probably eating more than you think you are (aka more cals consumed). A digital scale is best.

3) If you are already doing 1 and 2, then introduce some really good fats and proteins into your diet (almonds, avocados, bison meat, etc.) to create a healthy balance in your life.

I'd love to help more, but without seeing your daily consumption, it's impossible to be more precise.
  • grantcfitpal
    grantcfitpal Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    If your struggling to hit your calories, why not use a meal replacement type supplement?

Liquid is far easier to consume than a whole hearted meal when your struggling to hit your daily caloric target!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    On the 'fat free' - there is this:
    free.png

Mars Milk is advertised as 'low fat' or whatever because it's full of sugars, for instance.

And 'everything' is 'full of chemicals' ;).

OMG! I saw a carton of half and half at the store yesterday that was marked "Fat free!" It's not half and half if it's fat free! WTF? Shouldn't that have been labeled skim milk instead? :laugh:
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Firstly I understand I got this way from over eating and being on bed rest during pregnancy so it is my own fault. Secondly I don't skip meals. I also don't plan to give up exercise or reducing the amount I do as I am really enjoying it and finding I have a lot more energy. Yesterday due to swimming and a two hour walk my calories where set at 1,978! I eat a lot of fruit and vegetables as thats what I like. I'm eating 3 meals a day and two big snacks.

Check my diary. I eat at 1800 calories each day. I have to *plan* to stay under that. Two thousand calories is the average used for the FDA's recommended daily allowance. Hell, eat a candy bar, or half of one.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    If your struggling to hit your calories, why not use a meal replacement type supplement?

Liquid is far easier to consume than a whole hearted meal when your struggling to hit your daily caloric target!

There ya go. Drink some juice. It *does* have more nutrition than a candy bar, to be sure.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I wanted to ask if it is really a problem to not eat all the calories you are allocated? I'm not technically overweight, I just want to get back to the weight I felt my healthiest at. I am naturally small built and all of my family are very light, so BMI and things like that tend to give me a low number, even when I know I'm out of shape. I've been given 1200Cals per day, and have only recently started logging what I eat. Although I have changed my diet to healthier foods (a lot of fruit, veg, nuts and lean meat) I still eat at the same frequency and quantity, yet I'm consuming only around 1000 Cal per day or usually slightly less. I don't usually have much at breakfast beyond a coffee, but eat something an hour or so later (I feel sick if I eat as soon as I've awoken).

This site keeps telling me I'm not eating enough, but is that really a problem? I know people talk about going into starvation mode and not losing weight if they don't eat enough, but lets be honest, in extreme cases such as anorexia, low calorie intake certainly doesn't stop people losing weight! I feel full after I eat, and satisfied at the end of the day, so should I continue as I am, or add more Cals? Any thoughts?

Thanks!

1000 is enough. 700 can be fine too as long as you get enough protein to build your body and some carbs for your brain. Less than that requires calculating your BMR, TDEE and LBM but certainly possible. There really is no limit, one 400 lbs person survived on nothing but water and vitamins for a year, lost 270 lbs.
    "700 can be fine"? This is not really the best advice for someone who, although no other info is given, claims to have a low BMI. There's a big difference between the amount of calories that a 400 lb person can live on, and the amount that someone with only a small amount of stored fat can live on (and still be healthy).