Women getting bulky!??

Options

Replies

• Game8
    Game8 Posts: 442
    Options
    I lift, er, I was until I needed to take a break, what with my joints hurting and having some other pains. But ya, it's not gonna make ya bulky. I get tired of hearing that from so many people.

To help you with joint pain make sure to warm up your joints/ muscles properly before you start lifting and keep your rep range between 8 - 12 or even up to 15 on some short-range motions. You should also supplement fish oil, make sure you're getting enough calcium and Vitamin D (especially in Winter when you don't get much sunlight)
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Sigh, it's true many females do think this. I had a girl call me bulky the other day at the gym; I politely gave her a piece of my mind. She seemed scared at first but has since moved her way slowly into the weight section. :)
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    lol@3-5lbs a year

3-5 lbs a year of actual contractile tissue a year is pretty impressive by all measures. No one who lifts would debate that.

I would, and I just lifted this morning

Correction: no one who lifts whom I would take seriously

So anyone that disagrees with you = not worthy to be taken seriously. How does it feel to be always right?
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    lol@3-5lbs a year

3-5 lbs a year of actual contractile tissue a year is pretty impressive by all measures. No one who lifts would debate that.

I would debate it considering you've given no context to this statement.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/whats-my-genetic-muscular-potential.html

^ Here you can get different estimations from several well respected authors.
  • Delicate
    Delicate Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Muscle takes alot to appear, it just doesnt 'appear' overnight

everytime i hear 'i dont want to get bulky' a kitten cries
  • xxXcaraXxx
    xxXcaraXxx Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    i lift weights, it doesnt making you manely i have found the opposite, however muscle work is slowish but worth it
  • Bernadettetoo
    Options
    iriskyle.jpg
    I don't THINK so!!
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    All I have to say is that I ♥ lifting, I ♥ eating, and I ♥ the fact that no matter what I do its a win win! Lift with a deficit, lose mostly fat. Lift with extra calories, gain muscle and fat.
  • Game8
    Options
    lol@3-5lbs a year

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/whats-my-genetic-muscular-potential.html

I know you can put on more, and probably will especially during the 1st few years. I'm not arguing that. Please reread my claim:

"3-5 lbs a year of actual contractile tissue a year is pretty impressive by all measures"
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    my uninformed view...

I don't lift heavy. I don't lift weights.
    I do lift myself (i.e. working on chinups), and push myself (doing pushups)
    All my exercises are body weight, with maybe a 15lb medicine ball for squats and leg ups.

I box.

And I look pretty ripped. (Check my profile if you'd like)

Personally I love it, but some may find me too muscular. I think I am just lucky in genetics? I don't know.

I do think I could look freakin awesome if I had time to lift heavy!
  • Bernadettetoo
    Options
    iriskyle.jpg

That's what happens when women inject male hormones. If you think this is bad, look up "Renee Toney"

I did. "Nuff said!:noway:
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    263319909433796786_p4JhBioN_c.jpg
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    lol@3-5lbs a year

I know you can put on more, and probably will especially during the 1st few years. I'm not arguing that. Please reread my claim:

"3-5 lbs a year of actual contractile tissue a year is pretty impressive by all measures"

Your claim lacks context.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    No female lifters in the house?

Yes, there are. But we already know this.
  • Pnknlvr96
    Pnknlvr96 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Sigh, it's true many females do think this. I had a girl call me bulky the other day at the gym; I politely gave her a piece of my mind. She seemed scared at first but has since moved her way slowly into the weight section. :)

Wow you have amazing arms! :love:
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I've said this a million times before, but if I used direct weight resistance on certain parts of my body I WOULD look bulky for my frame, shape and taste. Whenever I use weight on my upper body, which is smaller and has very little fat, I get bigger: My jackets fit more snugly. The same thing would happen with my lower half, where my body likes to deposit more fat. I'm at a pretty low weight for my age and current activity level (recovering from an injury); it's not like I can easily drop 10 pounds. Also, you can't spot reduce.

I've been working out off and on for decades. I know my body and I also know I'm not unique.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    But I am getting bulky dammit......well after all, I am doing a bulk !!!! Can't wait to strip the fat and see my new muscles. But I have tosay that it is aa lot of hard work and do not happen by mistake. Cardio made me a smaller version of my fat self.....lifting made me awesome.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    I've said this a million times before, but if I used direct weight resistance on certain parts of my body I WOULD look bulky for my frame, shape and taste. Whenever I use weight on my upper body, which is smaller and has very little fat, I get bigger: My jackets fit more snugly. The same thing would happen with my lower half, where my body likes to deposit more fat. I'm at a pretty low weight for my age and current activity level (recovering from an injury); it's not like I can easily drop 10 pounds. Also, you can't spot reduce.

I've been working out off and on for decades. I know my body and I also know I'm not unique.

102 lbs of bulk
  • Game8
    Options
    my uninformed view...

I don't lift heavy. I don't lift weights.
    I do lift myself (i.e. working on chinups), and push myself (doing pushups)
    All my exercises are body weight, with maybe a 15lb medicine ball for squats and leg ups.

I box.

And I look pretty ripped. (Check my profile if you'd like)

Personally I love it, but some may find me too muscular. I think I am just lucky in genetics? I don't know.

I do think I could look freakin awesome if I had time to lift heavy!

You look pretty amazing!! You look muscular, but I would never think "too muscular". Whatever you have going on, there can't be "too" much of it. Keep up the good work!
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    iriskyle.jpg

That's what happens when women inject male hormones. If you think this is bad, look up "Renee Toney"

I did. "Nuff said!:noway:

Photos like that are completely beside the point. When the average (knowledgeable) woman talks about not wanting to bulk up, she means she doesn't want to increase one or more clothing sizes in areas that she thinks are already big enough. Granted, what is considered attractive is the result of the cultural environment. But most women who workout and read know they're not going to end up looking like the women in Pumping Iron.