Options
13»

Replies

• pinkcoconutz
    Options
    bump*
  • KristieWat
    Options
    I found a great recipe in the clean eating magazine where you roast diced apple and butternut squash and and toss it with the cooked brown rice and serve it as kind of a pilaf style. It was VERY yummy! I also always cook brown rice in either veggie or chicken stock... but make sure it is low sodium.
  • bodyrollin
    bodyrollin Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Cook it in well seasoned water, or vegetable stock, add green onions, carrots, celery, and broccoli...then the "secret" bit, stir in some jasmine or lavender. Stir all this in to the pot and cook as normal (replacing the water with equal amount of veggie stock). It's excellent.
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I think brown rice is already delicious. You want bland, eat white rice.
    I like to put in a pinch of saffron threads when I turn the heat down.

Oh - do you cook your rice like this? Stir 1/2 part rice into 1 part boiling water, cover and simmer until all liquid is absorbed (about 45 minutes). I thought everybody cooked rice this way until my sister invited us to dinner and boiled the rice to mush. Bleh! Now that's bad!

I especially appreciate brown basmati and brown jasmine rice.
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    now I've gotta see what this jasmine and basmati is. I HATE brown rice. Its always hard.

Please see instructions for cooking rice above; never hard, always fluffy.
  • deadmittens
    deadmittens Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    how to make brown rice tasty: salt.
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Add olive oil, Lea and Perrins sauce, green onions (chives), cumin, dried white onion (or fresh), a chopped up tiny tomato and sometimes even cilantro. I also add salt to it. Rice without salt - blah.

Monica
  • jigglewiggles
    jigglewiggles Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I got this off of skinnytaste.com and have made it with white rice, cuz that's all I had, but I'm sure it would be great with brown rice too, since chipotle's brown rice is very good as well.

:wink: Chipotle's "Skinny" Cilantro Lime Rice:wink:
    Gina's Weight Watcher Recipes
    Servings: 4 • Size: 3/4 cup • Old Points: 4 pts • Points+: 5 pts
    Calories: 201.0 • Fat: 3.4 • Carbs: 37.4 • Fiber: 0 • Protein: 4.0 g

1 cup extra long grain rice or basmati rice
    1/2 lime, juice of
    2 cups water
    1 tsp salt
    3 tbsp fresh chopped cilantro
    3 tsp vegetable oil

In a small heavy pot, add rice, water, 1 tsp oil and salt. Boil on high until most of the water evaporates. When the water just skims the top of the rice, reduce to low and cover about 15 minutes. Shut off flame and keep covered an additional 5 minute.

In a medium bowl, combine chopped cilantro, lime juice, rice and remaining oil and toss until completely mixed.
    Print Friendly and PDF
    Pin it
    You might also like:
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Butter, syrup, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Oh wait. . . we're supposed to be dieting. :ohwell:
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    I cook mine in chicken stock-way better.......
  • ripemango
    ripemango Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    we boil ours w chicken bouillon cube. sometimes I put a little teeny tiny bit of teriyaki sauce and/or spray margarine on it after it is on my plate.
  • LifeIsNotADressRehearsal
    Options
    bump! Thanks for the ideas!
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Do the same stuff you would do with it with normal white rice? I actually love brown rice plain because I think it has so much more flavor than white rice.

As a rule of thumb, I always add some salt to my rice when I cook it. That helps. Otherwise season it, cook it in a casserole, top it with things, etc.
  • ilovelucy711
    ilovelucy711 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
    1 cup uncooked rice
    1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
    1 cup grated parmesan cheese
    1/2 cup dried cranberries
    1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted (I've also used pine nuts or walnuts and even prefer them)
    1/4 cup sliced green onion
    salt & fresh ground pepper
    Directions:
    Melt butter in 2-quart saucepan over medium heat. Add rice. Cook and stir 2 to 3 minutes. Add broth and heat to boiling, stir once or twice. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 15 (the recipe I believes call for white rice, so follow the directions on the box for brown rice) minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat. Stir in cheese, cranberries, pecans and onions. Season to tast w/salt and pepper.
    *to toast pecans (or pine-nuts) spread on small baking sheet. Bake at 350 5-8 minutes (keep an eye they don't burn) or until golden brown. Stir frequently.
  • sanndandi
    sanndandi Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    bump
  • girlwapp
    girlwapp Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    jasmine or basmati are both so much better but...

we use brown sugar or catalina salad dressing (not together!)
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I looked up white rice and it's pretty decent when it comes to natural vitamins. I compared 1 oz. of white long grained rice to 1 oz of wheat flour (unenriched only because it makes sense to compare in the natural unenriched sense). Anyway, they turned out pretty darn similar.

Rice, White, long grained
    Calcium - 7.8 mg
    Phosphorus - 32.2 mg
    Potassium - 32.2 mg
    Selenium - 4.2 mcg
    Folate - 2.2 mcg
    Choline - 1.6 mg
    Fiber = 0 grams (I get it from other sources) (note - you get 2 grams if it's a cup of rice so it's not fiberless - just eat more)

Unenriched Wheat Flour - 1 oz
    Phosphorus = 30 mg
    Potassium = 41.7 mg
    Selenium = 4.1 mcg
    Calcium = 5.6 mg
    Folate = 8.7 mcg
    Choline = none
    Fiber = .7 grams

There are tons of other nutrients but it was pretty interesting to see the difference. I have to stick to eating wheat because of a gluten allergy so I got curious. :)

Here's the link in case anyone is curious: http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/cereal-grains-and-pasta/5812/2
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Instead of making it with water I use broth. You can use chicken or veggie broth and it does come in fat free or 99% fat free. Also great for boiling your taters for mashed potatoes. I use broth a lot when I cook